Gibson Brands Forums

2019 SG Standard neck shape (and getting used to it)

EddieNYC

So far I recently bought a 2019 Standard, and unlike recent years, this one has a rounded neck.  To me it seems pretty fat around the 12th fret but I haven’t measured it precisely yet.   I also have a 2017 LP Standard that has a slim taper neck that - to me - plays really easy.

I am still getting used to the SG’s next, but it does seem more cumbersome than the LP, and I think my hand muscles are still getting used to the shape.  It’s not that big of a deal up close to the neck, but down around the 12th fret it feels odd and bulky.

I guess the question is it common to play guitars with a bunch of different neck profiles like this......so just suck it up and adapt, or look for an alternative with a thinner profile?  I do kind of like the feel higher up around the neck but it just seems to negative having the better fret board access closer to the body (at least to me).

I have a J45 that has a slim taper and a Hummingbird that has a rounded neck, but those two are so close in terms of shape and feel.  The SG feels like a very different ballgame than my LP’s neck.

I’d love any thoughts.

Mike

Edited by MikeCT
  • Upvote 1

I usually wear size L or XL gloves so it seems like it should work, it just feels strange still playing anywhere around the 12th fret because it’s just neck everywhere.             

I’ll just keep trying to play down there more to get used to it.  I have’t take.

n the strings off and gotten a precise measurement, but it looks pretty darn close to an inch deep at the 12th fret.

Yes. What Hector said.

I have adapted to most necks. From the massive classical nylon models to thin electric ones. 

My favourite electric guitar has a massive thick & wide neck. Because of its bulk it also makes the guitar neck dive. I have assumed that this neck design is part of the price you have to accept for unfettered access to 24 frets. Its certainly not the most comfortable neck in use, but I somehow seem to manage it ok. 

However, when I tried out a PRS Silver Sky, which is by no means an extreme nor unusual design, it felt nasty, awkward and difficult. Well, most neck designs can be worked with but occasionally some just cannot. Even after 23 years of use, I never became accustomed to the traditional Fender (1970s USA Strat) neck. Mostly to do with the excess edge rolling, the tight radius and the string spread. 

The most comfortable neck I have ever played is a MIJ Tele style guitar. Designed & built by Fujigen. It just feels like its made for my hand.

I hear you on the feel.  It’s just bigger all the way around,  not just at the center.  It definitely feels much more different than I would have imagined.

Up toward the neck, i’m not completely sure but I may find the slightly bigger neck a tad easier to fret different chord shapes than on the slim taper.  I’ll keep playing with it.  It’s down at the higher frets it just feels a little more cumbersome to  me.  I haven’t found myself playing down there a ton though - especially on the bass side where is feels the most odd.

Mike

2 hours ago, Hector said:

You might not be far off in the measurement at the 12th fret. My 2015 LP CM has a rounded neck and is 24.46mm / 0.963 inches at the 12th fret.

Compared to a 2015 SG Standard, it has a slim taper neck and is 22.225mm / 0.875 inches at the 12th fret.

So there is a difference, but it is 2.2mm. It may not seem like a lot, but I know how this can feel like a lot when playing.

What is really odd is, early 2019 SG Standards had the Slim Taper: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/SG-Standard-2019.aspx

So this is something that was changed mid-year. Now that will be confusing to future buyers..

Shouldn't be a problem really.

The early Standards are sold as "2019 SG Standard" = Slim neck profile

The later Standards are sold as " SG Standard" under the "Modern" line = Rounded neck profile 

There is no "2019" designation on the new SG Standard box labels with the rounded neck.  Also, they will not be stamped 2019 on the back of the head.

Edited by arcticsg

19 hours ago, Hector said:

QUOTE FROM HECTOR:  You might not be far off in the measurement at the 12th fret. My 2015 LP CM has a rounded neck and is 24.46mm / 0.963 inches at the 12th fret.

————-

I Just measured mine last night and at the 12th it looked to be 0.96.  I wonder if this a really abnormal for SGs because when I look at the ones on the wildwood guitars  site, the widest is ~.88 at the 12th.

Edited by Mike CT

The SG neck shape has been evolving since its introduction in 61. I believe that the SG neck has possibly changed more than any other Gibson. There may always be preferred year neck shapes, like the 61 slim taper, that dives little but provides the easiest access all the way to fret 22... I think its good Gibson continues to experiment with variations...

The image below from the web, shows major differences in older SG's neck tenon that seems to effect the neck shape. The tenons also effect the button location and CG.

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The SG neck shape has been evolving since its introduction in 61. I believe that the SG neck has possibly changed more than any other Gibson. There may always be preferred year neck shapes, like the 61 slim taper, that dives little but provides the easiest access to fret 22... I think its good Gibson continues to experiment with variations...

The image below from the web, shows major differences in older SG's neck tenon that seems to effect the neck shape. The tenons also effect the button location and CG.

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

I'll take one of each please! 😁

16 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The SG neck shape has been evolving since its introduction in 61. I believe that the SG neck has possibly changed more than any other Gibson. There may always be preferred year neck shapes, like the 61 slim taper, that dives little but provides the easiest access all the way to fret 22... I think its good Gibson continues to experiment with variations...

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

So out of curiosity, do you think a neck that is .96 or so at the 12th is someone common for an an SG?  It’s pretty clear now that i’m Fine with the shape, I just keep thinking about how fat it gets down around 12 the more I play it.

1 hour ago, Mike CT said:

So out of curiosity, do you think a neck that is .96 or so at the 12th is someone common for an an SG?  It’s pretty clear now that i’m Fine with the shape, I just keep thinking about how fat it gets down around 12 the more I play it.

After scanning the current SG's, almost all model configurations have slightly different neck profiles..

SG Models

A difference of .08" is pretty small, about the thickness of the binding, but sensitive hands could tell the difference and be able to adapt.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

I've had a few SGs over the years and one of them had a giant fat club neck which felt ridiculous on such a small body.

I finally gave up and sold it.  

They do the final shaping of the neck by hand so it was probably just that particular guitar - an 06 Classic, I think it was.  Not for me.

28 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I've had a few SGs over the years and one of them had a giant fat club neck which felt ridiculous on such a small body.

I had a 2011 50th Anniversary 61 Reissue that had a neck like that.

rct

Fatter than my Lucille or 50s profile Les Paul Studio or any other Gibson I've ever owned.

They made an ES335 Fat Neck and it felt like that one.  Just a giant fat thing with about zero taper from top to bottom.    It was like something you'd find on a nylon stringed Yamaha.

That kind of a neck.  It was just awful with high frets, too.  

Back to eBay you go and don't come back!

Current SG's

Profile descriptions........

Brian Ray ’62 SG Junior - Custom 1962 Slim Taper

SG Modern - Asymmetrical Slim Taper

SG Standard - Rounded

SG Standard Tribute - Rounded

1961 Les Paul SG Standard Reissue - 1960 Slim Taper

1964 SG Standard Reissue Vibrola - Authentic '64 Medium C-Shape

1963 Les Paul SG Custom Reissue Vibrola 1960 - Slim Taper

SG Custom 2-Pickup 1960 - Slim Taper

SG Standard ‘61 Vibrola - Slim Taper

SG Standard ‘61 Sideways Vibrola - Slim Taper

SG Standard ‘61 - Slim Taper

SG Special - Slim Taper

SG Junior - Slim Taper

........ Other terms used loosely, sometimes used together or in different combinations or singularly ..............

C, Rounded, 50's Style, Fat

D, Slim Taper, 60's Style, Thin

You can expect variation within each model style....

B-oOwaNUsAAh4DY.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

On 9/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, arcticsg said:

Shouldn't be a problem really.

The early Standards are sold as "2019 SG Standard" = Slim neck profile

The later Standards are sold as " SG Standard" under the "Modern" line = Rounded neck profile 

There is no "2019" designation on the new SG Standard box labels with the rounded neck.  Also, they will not be stamped 2019 on the back of the head.

Now I finally figured this out.....the hard way.   The one I originally liked and thought I was buying was the first 2019 with the white binding and slim taper.   The second version of the 2019 that I bought (not knowing about the two versions).....I just didn’t like the feel at all and it made my hand sore so I sold it.   Took a loss but I think got an ok deal in the grand scheme of things.

Then I bought that older 2019 with the white binding.  My only hesitation is that this model has a “low” fret profile instead of the medium that I like on my LP and like i’ve Seen on other SGs, and the Medium jumbo on the one I sold that I thought felt good.   It looks like the frets on my Hummingbird.  I didn’t think that much about the low profile frets after picking it up etc, but it’s still in my mind because I can’t recall any other years with a low fret profile....which could be driven by something.

Either way, hopefully this one sticks despite the low profile frets!!

mike

Edited by Mike CT
  • Upvote 1

Everywhere around my thumb was just sore after playing with the rounded neck.   I thought it was muscle memory stuff at first, but it it wasn’t and i’d Switch to my LP and it would be fine.  I loved how it sounded though!  Hopefully this new one is similar.   Still trying to figure out if i’m Going to care that this has low frets or not after a few weeks.  I didn’t initially.

I have (had) a 2017, 2019 and 2019 SG Standard as well as a 2019 SG Tribute.  The 17-19 all had SlimTaper necks and they were all pretty thin.  The 2017 had the thinnest neck.  All were in the general "thin" category.  The 2019 SG Tribute that I have now has a 'rounded' neck and for me feels right.  If the 'new' 2019 SG Standards have the rounded neck I might like that as well.  When I say 'rounded' its not a little thicker than the SlimTaper - its not a baseball bat like my old 2013 SGJ.  I also have a '70s Tribute SG with the 70's type neck and volute. That neck feels really nice to me as well.  Needless to say I have only kept the 70s Tribute and the 2019 Tribute.