Gibson Brands Forums

LG-0 how old!

Kayti Sullivan

Hello, I just acquired a Gibson LG-0 with a spruce top and a rosewood bridge. Weird ugly brownish finish on the mahogany. Wondering how old it is. The guy I bought it from didn't seem to know.  I tried the serial number website, and they said they couldn't find the number. (?!)  the serial number is A005229, 

anybody got any ideas?  I am really liking the instrument.

• 1 year later...

I can understand where Gibson may well have believed an ADJ saddle bridge could do everything for a flattop it did for an archtop while adding convenience.  And I can see where they may have thought an oversized laminate bridge plate was  preferable to going to an an overall heavier build to support that bridge.  But what engineering problem a hollow plastic bridge attached to the guitar by large screws could have solved is beyond me leaving the only benefit being cost cutting. 

8 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I can understand where Gibson may well have believed an ADJ saddle bridge could do everything for a flattop it did for an archtop while adding convenience.  And I can see where they may have thought an oversized laminate bridge plate was  preferable to going to an an overall heavier build to support that bridge.  But what engineering problem a hollow plastic bridge attached to the guitar by large screws could have solved is beyond me leaving the only benefit being cost cutting. 

Absolutely.  The adjustable plastic version can provide a uniquely satisfying tone without compromising structural stability, while imho, the non-adjustable version has no redeeming qualities whatsoever!

Thank you ALL for chiming in with the helpful info.  I can't believe Gnome Recording Studios in Nashville is balking at my request for a full refund!  Claims the prior owner to David at Gnome he bought it new in 1959.  That may be the case, but that unfortunately is their problem, not mine.  Unless REVERB is a sham and will not back my case for a full refund in the case of this Fraudulent Advertising by Gnome.   

I will keep the group apprised

Well- this is where I am now. Very disappointed with the seller Gnome Recording Studios who keeps trying to deflect this into a "repair" issue as I pointed out the warped bridge and he thinks $250 that reverb threw at me (a bone for sure, and I don't mean nut, though nice pun there) towards what ever fix I want.  Great, but as you all know, a 1962 is not desirable as the 1959 I sought. Rosewood bridge and all. 

So, $250 won't turn it into a busted headstock 1962, BUT $600 returned to me would perform the same thing. a satisfied customer at the end of the day. This whole transaction has turned sour with Gnome Recording Studios and I am solely dependent upon REVERB to step to the plate and negate this sale.

Thanks for all the support you "Gibsonites" hear on this site have given me. Wish me Luck!

Well, reverb has rec'd my most recent request to void the sale, but Gnome remains steadfast that I'm trying so scam him!  Ball is in REVERB's court to examine the facts and hopefully render me whole through a full refund.   This was my reply to David at Gnome who still insists he is in the right as he "thought" it was a 1959, not a 1962. Sumum*****!

Hah! You may be good David, but, you're not that good. Have at it my man. The truth is the best defense and a bridge that has warped due to age on a 1962/3 LG O cannot be defended as damage incurred during shipping. You are in the wrong here and I do not understand why you are not addressing the issue of having sold me a "product not as described" and refuse to honor REVERB's terms & conditions. This is really pitiful, especially for a commercial operation (Gnome Recording Studios/Gnome Recording) - Nashville TN) too!
You lower yourself to accusing me of attempting to fraud you! I sincerely hope you shall rue the day you thought to flog your frauds off on REVERB.

13 hours ago, j45nick said:

1959 would have and S-prefix factory order number.

Even more simple, it also would not have a six digit FON/serial number never mind one I assume is stamped on the back of the headstock.  It brings me back to the "good old days" before the internet and books containing the info you needed to date an old Gibson.  Even if you were dealing with somebody with a ton of experience unless there was a sales slip tucked inside the best they could often do was to narrow it down to a period such as  WWII, mid- to late-1950s, early-1960s and such.