Gibson Brands Forums

Mic shocks!

stevezapp

I keep on getting electric shocks from microphones - particulally when playing guitar at the same time.

I get very close to the mic when singing, to the point of touching it with my mouth (i'll stop there to avoid getting too steamy).

A couple of questions regarding this: -

Is there any danger of me getting frazzled?

Are there any remedies to this problem?

Cheers,

Steve

[-o< Wow. I didn't think it was that dangerous.

So is this likely to be a mic grounding issue' date= or something to do with my guitar/amp?[/quote]

Could be anything, I had a bad plug on my fridge a long time ago. If you touched the fridge door and the decorative ring around the sink at the same time, you would shocked, Big Time!

[-o< Wow. I didn't think it was that dangerous.

So is this likely to be a mic grounding issue' date= or something to do with my guitar/amp?[/quote]

It's really dangerous. I'v been plugged into the same power outlet but thru different extension cords, power strips and got bitten. So just having the equipment at different ground potentials (ground loops) from the same feed can have exciting results.

Back in the olden days with tube amps I'd get shocked every couple of gigs, it seems. Kinda bad when it's your lips getting the shock! It's a helluva surprise, for sure. But my tube amps then - and the one I occasionally use now - have a polarity switch that covered the problem.

But I can't see that ensuring good grounding ever would be a bad deal.

Back in the olden days with tube amps I'd get shocked every couple of gigs' date=' it seems. Kinda bad when it's your lips getting the shock! It's a helluva surprise, for sure. But my tube amps then - and the one I occasionally use now - have a polarity switch that covered the problem.

But I can't see that ensuring good grounding ever would be a bad deal.

[/quote']

How would I go about grounding my amp or pa?

They probably already have a 3 prong plug or at the very least a polarized plug so not much you can do there if one of them doesn't have a ground switch. Easiest thing to do is have them plugged into the same (properly configured) electrical outlet. Other than that you can look into power conditioners.

They probably already have a 3 prong plug or at the very least a polarized plug so not much you can do there if one of them doesn't have a ground switch. Easiest thing to do is have them plugged into the same (properly configured) electrical outlet. Other than that you can look into power conditioners.

Good stuff.

I'll give the same socket a try and if that doesn't fix it, i'll look into power conditioners.

Many thanks.

How would I go about grounding my amp or pa?

One of the best investments you can make, is a cheap outlet tester. They look like an extention cord plug with several led lights on the outside end. It will tell you if there is an open ground, or if the polarities are switched on any of the outlet wires. It's small enough to fit in a guitar accessory pocket in the case, and you can find them at most any decent hardware store.

If the tester shows a problem, you're taking your chances using that outlet.

Other than that, just make sure all your power cords are working correctly, and that power conditioner advice is golden, if you happen to have one.

One of the best investments you can make' date=' is a cheap outlet tester. They look like an extention cord plug with several led lights on the outside end. It will tell you if there is an open ground, or if the polarities are switched on any of the outlet wires. It's small enough to fit in a guitar accessory pocket in the case, and you can find them at most any decent hardware store.

If the tester shows a problem, you're taking your chances using that outlet.

Other than that, just make sure all your power cords are working correctly, and that power conditioner advice is golden, if you happen to have one.[/quote']

Yeah, i'm think i'm gonna buy a conditioner. Would this one do the trick? It's the only UK one I can find, but says it's for HiFi's.

I will take a look at outlet testers now!

... I think you're getting very good recommendations from the guys who use bigger equipment than I do in more venues.

Here's a true story that isn't about guitar "shocks," but can kinda explain the problem of poor ground.

When we lived in Memphis, my wife was absolutely convinced we somehow had a "ghost" in the hallway near the heating/airconditioning closet. There were sparkles she'd see at night. A year or so later I was having problems with my computer power conditioner clicking off. Finally called the power company and they discovered the whole %@#%#@ house was left without a ground when previous owners did an addition. Funny thing? No more ghost.

Archived