Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Goldtop slash signature real? Signed by slash

Gai

As for the signature, the seller should adjust the price according to whatever provenance he is providing. 

Provenance of course being 'a measure of evidence'. For example, is there a photo a Slash signing this guitar? That in itself would not be proof, but it would be supporting evidence. The more provenance = the more money he is entitled to ask.

Without any provenance, the seller should not, IMO, ask any more than the regular 2nd hand book price for the guitar. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2019 at 2:06 PM, Gai said:

So the original 2008 slash signature Goldtops is not from Gibson Custom?

I don’t really know. What I do know is that for that sort of price you could get a Gibson Custom Gold Top, like a 1957 Reissue. Some might have a different opinion, but personally for that type of money I’d prefer a Gibson Custom over a Gibson USA. Although I admire Slash a lot as I grew up listening to among other things, Guns n Roses, I wouldn’t pay a lot extra just to have his signature on a guitar. A used Gibson USA is going for half of the price of that guitar you posted. I wouldn’t think it’s worth double because of Slash’s autograph. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, pauloqs said:

I don’t really know. What I do know is that for that sort of price you could get a Gibson Custom Gold Top, like a 1957 Reissue. Some might have a different opinion, but personally for that type of money I’d prefer a Gibson Custom over a Gibson USA. Although I admire Slash a lot as I grew up listening to among other things, Guns n Roses, I wouldn’t pay a lot extra just to have his signature on a guitar. A used Gibson USA is going for half of the price of that guitar you posted. I wouldn’t think it’s worth double because of Slash’s autograph. 

I agree.   I wouldn't mind checking out one of his Gibson signature issue Les Paul's,  but  to have a regular issue LP with his sharpie signature on it is worthless to me as a collector item and only worth the value of the guitar itself.   Now, if it were my personal guitar and  he signed it to me in person, well that would be a different story 😉 

Edited by arcticsg

On 9/8/2019 at 6:38 AM, Gai said:

I’m looking to get this 2008 slash signature Gibson goldtop, and it’s signed by himself, can anyone help me to identify it’s real or fake?

Purely going from the copy written in the image posted the seller is not claiming that it is one of the CS Slash Signature Les Pauls. The seller merely describes it as a "Les Paul signed by Slash" - which is a completely different matter (similar to all those folk who took a LP along to the Iridium Club to have it signed by the man himself).

In which case - and as has been stated a few times - supplying proof of provenance is essential otherwise it's merely a defaced Gold Top.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

On 9/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, pauloqs said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I do like the 1957 goldtop reissue, just wondering are they the same color? I think it’s a bit different 

On 9/11/2019 at 12:22 AM, pippy said:

Purely going from the copy written in the image posted the seller is not claiming that it is one of the CS Slash Signature Les Pauls. The seller merely describes it as a "Les Paul signed by Slash" - which is a completely different matter (similar to all those folk who took a LP along to the Iridium Club to have it signed by the man himself).

In which case - and as has been stated a few times - supplying proof of provenance is essential otherwise it's merely a defaced Gold Top.

Pip.

Thank you so much, was confused about the used Gibson market as I knew very few about it, I think I will buy a new 1957 reissue goldtop instead 

On 9/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, arcticsg said:

I agree.   I wouldn't mind checking out one of his Gibson signature issue Les Paul's,  but  to have a regular issue LP with his sharpie signature on it is worthless to me as a collector item and only worth the value of the guitar itself.   Now, if it were my personal guitar and  he signed it to me in person, well that would be a different story 😉 

Yeah almost became a victim, he was not able to show any proof, will buy a new goldtop instead. Thanks for the heads up 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2019 at 12:15 AM, Hector said:

Exactly... Unless, of course, the OP is looking to "invest" in a guitar, rather than have it to play. In that case, you would need certain proof that it is his signature. I have heard of people faking Slash guitars (Trogly being the victim of one of them).

Yeah I’m leaving US and going back home soon, wanna buy a guitar to keep for a long time, so looking for something valuable in the future.