Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio vs. Classic

amengle

Hey Everyone! I'm new to the forums and I am considering getting a Les Paul in the next month. Of the Studio and the Classic, which is a better buy for the money? Also, I am interested in seeing which guitar will more suit the sound of my band. If you want to listen so you can give your input, click here: http://www.myspace.com/hollestate

I have been looking into the Studio for almost a year now, but am now considering the classic because I recently saw them on sale at guitar center for as little as $1495, which is only like $300 more than the Studios. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for all of your input. I look forward to learning a lot from these boards!

i dont like the inlay colors on the Classic but maybe you do

anyway, i got a Red Wine Studio, freakin love the color, its so sweet out in the sun but either guitar would be fine for that type of music

Hey Thanks for the info. does anyone else want to chime in? Is one guitar better for clean tones than the other? How about distorted tones?

The classic has hotter pickups than the Studio which has the same pickups as a custom. Both guitars will sound identical with the same pickups. You could always change the pickups later and sell the old ones - they hold their value well.

Out of the box the classic will have a higher gain saturated sound and the studio will have more of a rock sound. Cleans on both are good but different, the studio sounding a bit 'jazzier'.

I would get the studio and put the extra $300 towards a nice tube amp.

I played both last night at guitar center. I liked the clean tone of the classic more, but the distortion sounded a little muddy compaired to the studio. I won't know for sure until I play both guitars with my head which I'll be doing later this week.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING until you go to Bizarre Guitar!

http://www.bizarreguitar.net/

Trust me on this. 7th Ave just three blocks north of Indian School. West side of the street.

Tell 'em Big Dave sent you from the forum.

They have over 60 Les Pauls hanging on the wall in there right now - more than all 4 Phoenix GC's combined.

Several Studio's and Classics hanging on the wall right now, and they are NOT banged up and scratched.

They beat GC's prices every day, especially if you tell them you were just at GC. :-)

They don't haggle much, their prices are already pretty damned good.

Talk to Mike if you can, but if he's busy (or off Sun & Tue) any of the guys can help you - Brandon, Stu, Donnie.

You might even see the owner of the place, Bob.

If they treat you right and you buy your Classic from them, I'll meet you for lunch over there someday!

Seriously, if you've bought from Bizarre you'll NEVER buy anywhere else.

Dave

DON'T BUY ANYTHING until you go to Bizarre Guitar!

http://www.bizarreguitar.net/

Trust me on this. 7th Ave just three blocks north of Indian School. West side of the street.

Tell 'em Big Dave sent you from the forum.

They have over 60 Les Pauls hanging on the wall in there right now - more than all 4 Phoenix GC's combined.

Several Studio's and Classics hanging on the wall right now' date=' and they are NOT banged up and scratched.

They beat GC's prices every day, especially if you tell them you were just at GC. :-)

They don't haggle much, their prices are already pretty damned good.

Talk to Mike if you can, but if he's busy (or off Sun & Tue) any of the guys can help you - Brandon, Stu, Donnie.

You might even see the owner of the place, Bob.

If they treat you right and you buy your Classic from them, I'll meet you for lunch over there someday!

Seriously, if you've bought from Bizarre you'll NEVER buy anywhere else.

Dave

[/quote']

dude you rock! I just called them and they have the Taylor guitar I want for $150 less than GC and their Classics are a little more expensive, but not too bad, I still might go with the studio... not sure though. I appreciate the tip! If you want to do lunch or something that's cool too, even though I don't know you... haha

Just trying to help!

Yeah, I've bought alot of gear from those guys and I'm glad to call them my friends.

I stop by and just hang out every few weeks, see what's new.

You should do the same, just spend some time looking at all the stuff hanging in there - don't drool on the floor.

:-)

Good luck on your search.

Here's this for an idea what you'll see when you walk in;

2726241191_9c6ec94a19.jpg?v=0

Don't forget the acoustic room.

Many people don't realize it's even there.

Just trying to help!

Yeah' date=' I've bought alot of gear from those guys and I'm glad to call them my friends.

I stop by and just hang out every few weeks, see what's new.

You should do the same, just spend some time looking at all the stuff hanging in there - don't drool on the floor.

Good luck on your search.

Here's this for an idea what you'll see when you walk in;

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2726241191_9c6ec94a19.jpg?v=0[/img]

Don't forget the acoustic room.

Many people don't realize it's even there.

Wow. I think I can see two of my Fireburst Les Pauls hanging on the wall. Wish I was in Phoenix.

Classic because I recently saw them on sale at guitar center for as little as $1495' date=' which is only like $300 more than the Studios. [/quote']

$1495 is a good price on the Classic, if Bizarre can't beat it I wouldn't blame you for shopping on price.

I don't get too bent out of shape over paying an extra $50 to a dealer I know will treat me right.

Bizarre has been there for 32 years, they ain't going nowhere.

You choose objectively, just remember what a rip-off GC is.

Check out the YouTube in my signature.

Yeah, I really don't like GC all that much... the sales guys always hound me constantly... I went back to GC and i guess that price was just a weekend thing so we'll see. I may still end up getting the studio for price, but we'll see.

Which GC?

Scottsdale is good (for a GC) if the prices are decent.

Phoenix and Tempe are okay.

Not Avondale I hope...

I don't think that store's gonna be there much longer.

That's a Classic in my avatar, I love it.

My opinion?

Don't cheap out on a Studio and then regret it later.

I've never heard of a Classic/Standard owner say "Man, I wish I had bought a Studio instead!"

if you buy a gibson in the phoenix area, buy from Bizarre, they are new and in mint condition and you know they haven't been returned within 30 days and listed as new. plus you help the local economy. They have studios there for about $1100, I was just there and they have every color imaginable. Dave and I love Bizarrre, good luck...

If it is, they won't tell you.

Can't tell anyway, all the kids beating the hell out of all their store display guitars...

Remember that generous return policy Guitar Center has?

Where do you think all those guitars go?

Back to Gibson?

Gibson isn't taking a guitar back unless you can clearly demonstrate THEY fxcked it up when they built it.

It goes back on the wall, or gets traded to another store for something different.

Don't believe your GC guitar is actually "new" unless you see the box come off the truck.

I'm not making this up.

If it is' date=' they won't tell you.

Can't tell anyway, all the kids beating the hell out of all their store display guitars...

Remember that generous return policy Guitar Center has?

Where do you think all those guitars go?

Back to Gibson?

Gibson isn't taking a guitar back unless you can clearly demonstrate THEY fxcked it up when they built it.

It goes back on the wall, or gets traded to another store for something different.

Don't believe your GC guitar is actually "new" unless you see the box come off the truck.

I'm not making this up.

[/quote']

Nope, your not.

They tried to swindle me with a used guitar for new price.

They also will fight with you for an hour on buying the one on the wall over one in a box. Seriously.

A whole hour of my life wasted trying to convince the guy I would be buying from a box or leaving.

Over 15 years of dealing with Guitar Center, and acting as an advocate for parents who were dealing with them, I've compiled quite a list of stories about them.

There are a few guys working in the Phoenix area stores I might trust because I've talked to them for a few years, but I would still have my bullsh!t detector set on high sensitivity.

I need to compile all my horror stories once and for all and put 'em on my website.

There are some good guys working there, and there are some good deals to be had sometimes, but they're worse than car salesmen. I do NOT understand why it has to be that way.

With a shaky economy and sales down, it's gonna get worse everywhere.

Which GC?

Scottsdale is good (for a GC) if the prices are decent.

Phoenix and Tempe are okay.

Not Avondale I hope...

I don't think that store's gonna be there much longer.

That's a Classic in my avatar' date=' I love it.

My opinion?

Don't cheap out on a Studio and then regret it later.

I've never heard of a Classic/Standard owner say "Man, I wish I had bought a Studio instead!"[/quote']

It was the Scottsdale store. that's the only one that's good IMO

What's his name' date=' the black guy.

Leon?

Seems like a good cat to me, I always enjoy talking to him.

Never bought a guitar from him, so I don't know how all that goes.[/quote']

Yeah it was Leon. I bought my first electric from him a few years back. He's a good guy and the only person I'll talk to there. I'm going to bizare guitar today to see what kind of deal I can put together an a Les paul Studio or classic and a Taylor 210-CE combo. I think it'll come down to price, sound and honestly color choices whether I buy from Leon or Bizare guitar.

*EDIT*

The dude's name is actually leroy... lol

Hey: I have a Gibson Les Paul XR III, which is like the studio. The only thig I can find different is the cosmeticeds. The new les pauls are all lighter then the older one and to me that is a big tone differents. So all in all I would say that your amp ( if you can ) and go try them all and find the one you like, new vs older one. Try the shows and see what they have. Good Luck there

Archived