Gibson Brands Forums

Some one tell me what it means to be conservative.

Basshole

I had a long poltical discussion with my english teacher last week, we talked about the diffrent systems and beleifs on how to run a government.

I told him I was conservative and with that I like the feeling of keeping what is mine.

But he said that to conserve has never worked

He went on to tell me, that conservatives have never really worked in government. We have always been progressive.

I agreed, knowing that the government is always spending money for new programs, advancing our military, making more roads and schools, FDR, ect

I wanna know what it means to be conservative, since I myself doesn't know what it is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be fun...KSG you have the floor.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the label. Just stay true to your beliefs. I think a lot of people get caught up in the "I am a liberal" or "I am a conservative" labels. There is a number of people on this forum who will be quick to label you as one or the other. Ignore them.

Google the terms Conservative and Liberal. You'll find different definitions according the source your looking at. You teacher was wrong about whether conservatism has worked in the Government or not. America did pretty well under Reagan and Eisenhower, and we did pretty well under W, we had one of the longest sustained periods of growth in the 20th century, for most of W's term we had lower unemployment than we did under Reagan, Bush 1 and Clinton. In my opnion, America does best when governed from the middle, with different parties in charge of the congress and the white house.

We did very well under Clinton, who governed more from the middle than from the left. And remember that Clinton had a "conservative" congress to counter-balance his policies.

I consider myself a conservative, I'm a registered independent and I have voted for republicans, democrats and an independent. To me being a conservative means:

1) Smaller, less intrusive government

2) Non-interventionist foreign policy when possible

3) No social engineering from the federal government

4) Original Intent when interpreting the constitution (i.e., the constitution is not a living document, it can be changed, but only by ammendment)

5) Borders, language and culture are important, they are the glue that holds the country together.

I had a long poltical discussion with my english teacher last week' date=' we talked about the diffrent systems and beleifs on how to run a government.

[/quote']

Dude every english teacher I ever had was flaming liberal. They are smarter than you, they are more educated that you, and they know whats best for you, just trust them. Im also conservative, I deal with this crap all the time. Just shake it off.

On a side note...California's senate and house have been in Democratic hands, uninterupted, since 1973. They have had some republican governers, but as in many/most states the governor is not as powerful as the congress. How are things in the liberal paradise of California?

Massachusetts and Louisiana are two more states that have been run by the liberals/progressives for most of the last 100 years. How are the economies in those states?

If liberal/progressive policies worked so well, then California, Mass., and Lousisana should be like heaven on earth.

But he said that to conserve has never worked

He also collects a paycheck funded with tax dollars.

If he actually WORKED someplace where he had to show results or get fired....

If he had to produce something deemed valuable enough people would pay for it....

If he was held accountable for his words, deeds and actions....

Most Liberal college instructors I've met over thirty years couldn't cut it at a real job.

Academia coddles them, the blue collar world would chew them up and spit them out.

I would like to qualify this by saying there are alot of teachers in my extended circle of friends and family - and my WIFE.

Some of them don't like me very much, and it's because they can't tell me I'm wrong.

Oh, they can disagree but I'll smoke their "college educated" *** in most discussions.

See what happens when a redneck learns to read and goes to college?

:-)

Jesse,

Here's a quick no-brains-needed primer.

http://www.jimandpatsanders.com/pages/conserva.htm

(see below)

Conservative:

Government is too big and intrusive.

Babies have the right to live.

The homosexual agenda is destructive to family and the nation as a whole.

The feminist agenda is also destructive to the family and traditional values that have served well for thousands of years.

We need a strong armed forces to protect the country. There are countries in the world that would like to see the USA fall.

We must put the well being of the Nation above the interest of any party affiliation.

We must not give or sell our secrets to hostile governments for money to finance our campaigns.

Liberal:

Government is the answer to everything. The more the better. Freedom gets in the way of government involvement in our lives.

There is no such thing as a baby. A fetus is just a lump that needs to be destroyed. Murdering babies is a political statement for liberals.

Liberals must be politically correct at all cost. Even at the cost of our traditions and morals. Even though they probably wouldn't want a homosexual in the family, they pander to them for the sake of the party.

Feminist... see above.

Sell our secrets to the enemy and destroy the military by using it up when Clinton needs to have the attention of the public diverted from his corrupt conduct. Don't spend any money on the military and once it's used up, it's gone.

Sell our nuclear secrets to the enemy and then have the Justice Department run cover for the Administration to keep it in power. Even when the safety of the nation is at stake, the party must stay in power.

These are only a few of the differences between what is and what should be. If this country is to survive, we as a nation must get back to our roots and establish our morals and values the way they were before the liberals destroyed them.

We must bring this country back from the brink of destruction by becoming patriots again. We must reaffirm our faith in God and not be afraid to mention Jesus Christ and the Ten Commandments in school. We must not be afraid to stand up to the people who say "separation of church and state" with the knowledge that no where in the Constitution does it say anything about any separation of church and state. Our Fore Fathers knew the importance of depending on God for the guidance of the people's conduct in a free country.

It is still not a crime (yet) to be a Christian.

I can't answer for others, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Here's one that's a little more comprehensive.

I find it skewed Left even by virtue of the subjects and categories, but it's not bad.

http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/other/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/

(see below)

CONSERVATIVES - believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.

Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

LIBERALS - believe in governmental action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all, and that it is the duty of the State to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Believe that people are basically good.

Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve people's problems.

The Issues

Abortion

Human life begins at conception. Abortion is the murder of a human being. Nobody has the right to murder a human being.

Support legislation to prohibit partial birth abortions, called the "Partial Birth Abortion Ban" (partial birth abortion - the killing of an unborn baby of at least 20 weeks by pulling it out of the birth canal with forceps, but leaving the head inside. An incision is made in the back of the baby's neck and the brain tissue is suctioned out. The head is then removed from the uterus.)

OR

A fetus is not a human life. The decision to have an abortion is a personal choice of a woman regarding her own body and the government should stay out of it. Women should be guaranteed the right to a safe and legal abortion, including partial birth abortion.

Affirmative Action

People should be admitted to schools and hired for jobs based on their ability. It is unfair to use race as a factor in the selection process. Reverse-discrimination is not a solution for racism.

OR

Due to prevalent racism in the past, minorities were deprived of the same education and employment opportunities as whites. We need to make up for that.

Support affirmative action based on the belief that America is still a racist society. Minorities still lag behind whites in all statistical measurements of success. Also, the presence of minorities creates diversity.

Death Penalty

The death penalty is a punishment that fits the crime; it is neither ‘cruel' nor ‘unusual'. Executing a murderer is the appropriate punishment for taking an innocent life.

OR

We should abolish the death penalty. The death penalty is inhumane and is ‘cruel and unusual' punishment. It does not deter crime. Imprisonment is the appropriate punishment. Every execution risks killing an innocent person.

Economy

The free market system, competitive capitalism, and private enterprise afford the widest opportunity and the highest standard of living for all. Free markets produce more economic growth, more jobs and higher standards of living than those systems burdened by excessive government regulation.

OR

Favor a market system in which government regulates the economy. We need government to protect us against big businesses. Unlike the private sector, the government is motivated by public interest. We need government regulation to level the playing field.

Education - school vouchers

School vouchers will give all parents the right to choose good schools for their children, not just those who can afford private schools. Parents (who pay the taxes that fund the schools) should decide how and where to educate their child.

OR

School vouchers are untested experiments. We need to focus on more funding for existing public schools -to raise teacher salaries and reduce class size.

The Environment

Desire clean water, clean air and a clean planet, just like everyone else. However, extreme environmental policies destroy jobs and damage the economy.

Changes in global temperatures are natural over long periods of time. So far, science has not shown that humans can affect permanent change to the earth's temperature.

OR

Conservatives don't care about protecting the environment.

Industrial growth harms the environment.

Global warming is caused by an increased production of carbon dioxide. The U.S. is a major contributor to global warming because it produces 25% of the world's carbon dioxide. The U.S. should enact laws to significantly reduce that amount.

Gun Control

The Second Amendment gives the individual the right to keep and bear arms. Gun control laws do not thwart criminals. You have a right to defend yourself against criminals. More guns mean less crime.

OR

The Second Amendment gives no individual the right to own a gun, but allows the state to keep a militia (National Guard). Guns kill people. Guns kill children.

Health Care

Free healthcare provided by the government (socialized medicine) means that everyone will get the same poor-quality healthcare. The rich will continue to pay for superior healthcare, while all others will receive poor-quality free healthcare from the government. Health care should remain privatized.

Support Healthcare Spending Accounts.

OR

Support universal government-supervised health care. There are millions of Americans who can't afford health insurance. They are being deprived of a basic right to healthcare.

Homeland Security

Wary of parts of the Patriot Act

OR

Oppose the Patriot Act

Immigration

Support legal immigration at current numbers, but do not support illegal immigration. Government should enforce immigration laws. Oppose President Bush's amnesty plan for illegal immigrants. Those who break the law by entering the U.S. illegally should not have the same rights as those who obey the law by entering legally.

If there were a decrease in cheap, illegal immigrant labor, employers would have to substitute higher-priced domestic employees, legal immigrants, or perhaps increase mechanization.

OR

Support legal immigration and increasing the number of legal immigrants permitted to enter the U.S. each year. Support blanket amnesty for current illegal immigrants.

Believe that regardless of how they came to the U.S., illegal immigrants deserve:

- U.S. government financial aid for college tuition.

- visas for spouse/children to come to the U.S. Families shouldn't be separated.

Illegal immigrants do the jobs that Americans do not want to do.

Religion

The phrase "separation of church and state" is not in the Constitution. The First Amendment to the Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." This prevents the government from establishing a national church. However, it does not prevent God from being acknowledged in schools and government buildings.

Oppose the removal of symbols of Christian heritage from public and government spaces.

Government should not interfere with religion and religious freedom.

OR

Support the separation of church and state. Religious expression has no place in government.

Support the removal of all references to God in public and government spaces.

Religion should not interfere with government.

Same-Sex Marriage

Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Opinions differ on support for the creation of a constitutional amendment establishing marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

Believe that requiring citizens to sanction same-sex relationships violates moral and religious beliefs of millions of Christians, Jews, Muslims and others who believe marriage is the union of a man and a woman.

OR

Marriage should be legal for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender couples to ensure equal rights for all.

All individuals, regardless of their sex, have the right to marry.

Believe that prohibiting same-sex citizens from marrying denies them of their civil rights. Opinions differ on whether this issue is equal to civil rights for African Americans.

Social Security

The current Social Security system is in serious financial trouble. Changes are necessary because the U.S. will be unable to maintain the current system it in the future. Support proposal to allow a portion of Social Security dollars withheld to be put into an account chosen by the individual, not the government.

OR

Generally oppose change to the current Social Security system. Opinions vary on whether the current system is in financial trouble. Changing the current system will cause people to lose their Social Security benefits.

Support a cap on Social Security payments to the wealthy.

Taxes

Support lower taxes and a smaller government. Lower taxes create more incentive for people to work, save, invest, and engage in entrepreneurial endeavors. Money is best spent by those who earn it.

OR

Support higher taxes and a larger government. High taxes enable the government to do good and create jobs. We need high taxes for social welfare programs, to provide for the poor. We can't afford to cut taxes.

United Nations (UN)

The UN has repeatedly failed in its essential mission: to preserve world peace. The wars, genocide and human rights abuses of the majority of its member states (and the UN's failure to stop them) prove this point. History shows that the United States, not the UN, is the global force for spreading freedom, prosperity, tolerance and peace. The U.S. should never subvert its national interests to those of the UN.

OR

The United States has a moral and a legal obligation to support the United Nations (UN). The UN can be effective in promoting peace and human rights. The U.S. should not have acted in Iraq without UN approval. The U.S. should submit its national interests to the greater good (as defined by the UN).

War in Iraq

This was a preemptive strike to protect the U.S. All intelligence indicated that Saddam Hussein possessed and used weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) in the past and was prepared to use them again. He would not allow United Nations weapons inspectors to confirm his claim that he had destroyed his WMDs.

A democracy can succeed in Iraq if the people are given the opportunity to create one. All people want to live in freedom.

OR

This is Bush's war for oil. Saddam Hussein was no real threat. We have not found weapons of mass destruction (WMDs), so Saddam did not have any. President Bush lied about WMDs and the dangers posed by Saddam. We should have given the UN more time. We have alienated the rest of the world by our unilateral action (‘go it alone' attitude).

A democracy can't succeed in Iraq. Not everyone wants to live in a democracy.

War On Terror/Terrorism

The world toward which the Militant Islamists strive cannot peacefully co-exist with the Western world. In the last decade, Militant Islamists have repeatedly attacked Americans and American interests here and abroad. The terrorists must be stopped and destroyed.

OR

9/11 was caused by America's arrogant foreign policy. America needs to stop angering other countries. The threat posed by terrorism is exaggerated by President Bush for his own political advantage.

Welfare

Oppose long-term welfare. We need to provide opportunities to make it possible for poor and low-income workers to become self-reliant. It is far more compassionate and effective to encourage a person to become self-reliant, rather than keeping them dependent on the government for money.

OR

Support welfare. We need welfare to provide for the poor. Conservatives oppose welfare because they are not compassionate toward the poor. We have welfare to bring fairness to American economic life. Without welfare, life below the poverty line would be intolerable.

Copyright 2005 StudentNewsDaily.com

Here's another one the Liberals like to throw out;

If you listen to Rush Limbaugh or Fox News, you're automatically a racist, bigoted, war-mongering angry conservative.

If you will publicly state that you largely agree with Limbaugh - as I do - you're dangerous!

Since I shortened all that up into simply NeoConMan, we can forego further discussion in that area on my behalf.

If you get your "news" from The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The View, Saturday Night Live, etc. then you have absolutely no foundation for a political discussion.

If you at least watch CNN and hear some random news during your day that involves more than sports or supermodels, you may not be too far gone.

If you cannot name all the Presidents in office back to your birth year, at least five Supreme Court Justices, your Congressman and both Senators, you should be denied a ballot and barred from any sort of public assistance.

1) Smaller' date=' less intrusive government

4) Original Intent when interpreting the constitution (i.e., the constitution is not a living document, it can be changed, but only by ammendment)

5) Borders, language and culture are important, they are the glue that holds the country together.[/quote']

all things W wasnt. lol

and according to libs, "conservatives" mainly focus on the 3G Trinity.....Guns, God and Gays. lol

interestingly enough, i was reading a book by larry bartels about how the US actually does better economically under democrats. he attempts to explain why people vote against their own interests by voting republican. kinda boring, but kinda interesting. anyone read it?

Here's another one the Liberals like to throw out;

If you listen to Rush Limbaugh or Fox News' date=' you're automatically a racist, bigoted, war-mongering angry conservative.

If you will publicly state that you largely agree with Limbaugh - as I do - you're [b']dangerous[/b]!

Since I shortened all that up into simply NeoConMan, we can forego further discussion in that area on my behalf.

If you get your "news" from The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The View, Saturday Night Live, etc. then you have absolutely no foundation for a political discussion.

If you at least watch CNN and hear some random news during your day that involves more than sports or supermodels, you may not be too far gone.

If you cannot name all the Presidents in office back to your birth year, at least five Supreme Court Justices, your Congressman and both Senators, you should be denied a ballot and barred from any sort of public assistance.

O:) :) =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Sorry Jor...., er, Jesse....

Um, anyway, my apologies.

Sounded like you!

Read on anyway!

all things W wasnt.

Why you wanna be like that?

and according to libs' date=' "conservatives" mainly focus on the 3G Trinity.....Guns' date=' God and Gays. [/quote'']

Those are indeed effective litmus tests for political posturing, and they send Liberals into fits of apoplexy.

A very basic tool to break the ice in any political discussion, it's often over before it's begun.

interestingly enough' date=' i was reading a book by larry bartels about how the US actually does better economically under democrats. he attempts to explain why people vote against their own interests by voting republican. kinda boring, but kinda interesting. anyone read it? [/quote']

I got a shelf FULL of books explaining how we don't, some of them over two hundred years old.

So, the Score Card for the Bush years, eh?

1) Smaller, less intrusive government

What would Al Gore have done after 9/11? Not really an excuse though, the gov't had no choice in large part. I don't like it.

I agree when possible, Bush made up for Clinton's incompetence and leaving us exposed to what happened on 9/11.

C'mon.... Show me ANYTHING Bush did that compares with efforts made by ALL the Defeatocrats. C'mon, let's hear it.

4) Original Intent when interpreting the constitution (i.e., the constitution is not a living document, it can be changed, but only by ammendment) Are you talking about the marriage amendment? I agree with you on that one point.

5) Borders, language and culture are important, they are the glue that holds the country together.

Yeah, Bush gets an F here, and a big F U from those of us living along the border.

Hey Basshole,

I really do like you, man. You always present yourself well and aren't inflammatory (like I can sometimes be). I tell you what, come spend a weekend with me and my family and we'll not only teach you the meaning of conservatism, but I'll introduce you to some ultra left wing liberals who I occassionally hang with (just to get a good laugh at their insanity). I guarantee you that after the end of the week, you WILL definitely know the difference and will consider yourself a Conservative for the rest of your life.

Academia coddles them' date=' the blue collar world would chew them up and spit them out. [/quote']

Agree 100% and I'm a professor! Here's my response to a person on a blog that questioned why some of us are making 100k+ in our jobs. BTW, she never did respond back to my posting. I don't think she knew how to respond when I said that I'd take $1 for my pay (I'm perfectly willing to generate $s for my own salary).

------

OK, I'm one of the 100k+ professors. But there needs to be some perspective here. First I have been given many opportunities to go elsewhere at a much higher salary, not to mention much more support than what I get now. But I choose to stay here, like many of my colleagues, for various reasons. I do work 12 months of the year, upwards of 60+ hours a week. I “only” teach two classes a year, which I do take seriously; in fact I have several teaching awards. But that’s not my main function. I actually wear many hats: 1) salesperson, most grants are not the product of an “overnight success,” but given through years of effort promoting my research to various agencies and companies; 2) proposal writer; 3) accountant, I have to manage the funds (the university only gets involved if I go in the red); 4) advisor to students; 5) mentor to graduate students (14 in my group) by seeding research topics and giving advice on a daily basis; 6) research paper and book writer; 7) promoter of the university through national/international committee memberships; 8) conference organizer; and 9) editor of journals. These are just to name a few (there is a lot more than just this list).

The bottom line is that it takes some very unique abilities to be a successful professor. Even in this economy I can get a job that pays several times my current salary. You have the right to give your opinion on our salary, but understand that some of us grew up with nothing and worked extremely hard studying while others cruised through college (I personally worked my tail off to get scholarships, otherwise I couldn’t even think about going to college). We also paid our dues by taking postdoc positions after our Ph.D. degree that paid barely above what undergraduates get right after graduation, and we worked 70-80+ hours a week in those jobs. We may not be medical doctors but I can guarantee that we worked just as hard, if not harder, to get to where we are today. I do enjoy being a professor but there is a point where money will come into play (sorry that’s just reality). I earned my salary the old fashioned way...by hard work. Also, the overhead that I have generated through my academic life is more than my salary paid through those years, including benefits. I would be perfectly willing to take $1 for my salary from the State as long as I get to keep all the overhead I generate. Instead the State keeps using us as their private bank, which is now getting worse.

We are given this salary because we are expected to produce at the “market” rate set throughout the country. I do not know of one professor who earned his or her salary increase, to get to the 100k+ level, and is taking it easy now. Most work harder now than when they we were working towards tenure. Unlike some CEOs who take credit when everything goes right in terms of profits, but blame somebody else other than themselves when things do not go well, we professors are completely transparent and cannot hide behind anything. On top of all that we now have people criticizing our salaries. As I said you have the right to give your opinion. But I do too. My opinion is that you need a reality check…

Rocketman, you just destroyed my entire argument.

Here I'm trying to illustrate the Liberal College Professor/America-hating Propagandist and then you post some jazz about actually doing a job with integrity, caring about your reputation, and being able to sleep at night.

Personal accountability, clear conscience, big-picture thinking, soon you'll say you can look at yourself in the mirror!

I hope there aren't very many professors like you out there, cuz I'll have to change my position - slightly.

As a Right-Wing nutjob myself, and FAR from an "environmentalist" by the current popular trendy indications, here's something that just popped into my mind. I explained this to my daughter;

Here's a definition of Liberal/Conservative thought on my pet peeve - littering.

A Liberal doesn't throw sh!t out his car window because "it's bad for the environment."

A Conservative doesn't, simply because it's not the right thing to do.

It's your trash, it's YOUR responsibility. Do what you're supposed to do, like Mommy and Daddy taught you.

Why would you throw sh!t out there that somebody has to pick up?

Would you want your trash to stay there forever so we can all enjoy it every time we drive by?

Who has to pay for trash cleanup along the road? Taxpayers.

That tax money could have been saved, meaning one more trip to McDonalds for us.

That tax money could have been spent on your school, one more field trip to the zoo.

It's as simple as right and wrong.

Do what you should as a responsible citizen.

If we ALL did what we should, we wouldn't NEED the Green weenie/enviroNazi's up our ***.

...and yes, that teeny little cigarette butt is litter, ***-hole. Hundreds of millions of them hit the ground every day.

Rocketman' date=' you just destroyed my entire argument.

Here I'm trying to illustrate the Liberal College Professor/America-hating Propagandist and then you post some jazz about actually doing a job with integrity, caring about your reputation, and being able to sleep at night.

Personal accountability, clear conscience, big-picture thinking, soon you'll say you can look at yourself in the mirror!

I hope there aren't very many professors like you out there, cuz I'll have to change my position - slightly.

:-)[/quote']

Actually I agree with your argument. Whether we like it or not a state academic institution is a business. People can argue otherwise but without research dollars a state institution would need to easily triple its tuition or have people pay a lot more in state taxes. Upwards of 90% of the research dollars come from the medical and engineering schools (everyone else is in the noise level). BTW, basic research (level 6.1) is pretty much dead, at least in engineering. We actually are required to produce something that's useful now (level 6.2 and higher). Federal agencies and company subcontractors get a lot in return for their buck with us because we are darn cheap compared to the big companies. In fact I think of myself more as a small business owner than a professor there days.

My point is that my research dollars are being used to pay for other professor's salaries that don't bring in dollar one. But I've heard them argue that we are all "professors" and so we should all be paid equally. Give me a break!! This is the point where your argument is 100% correct and does apply to most professors.

Yes I am in the minority here in academia (in oh so many ways) so you're argument is not destroyed. I'm actually verifying it (didn't do a good job at it the first time).

CONSERVATIVES - believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.

lets take a look @ what i really believe, interesting to see where i fit

The Issues

Abortion, conservative

Human life begins at conception. Abortion is the murder of a human being. Nobody has the right to murder a human being.

Support legislation to prohibit partial birth abortions, called the "Partial Birth Abortion Ban" (partial birth abortion - the killing of an unborn baby of at least 20 weeks by pulling it out of the birth canal with forceps, but leaving the head inside. An incision is made in the back of the baby's neck and the brain tissue is suctioned out. The head is then removed from the uterus.)

Affirmative Action, conservative

People should be admitted to schools and hired for jobs based on their ability. It is unfair to use race as a factor in the selection process. Reverse-discrimination is not a solution for racism.

Death Penalty, liberal

We should abolish the death penalty. The death penalty is inhumane and is ‘cruel and unusual' punishment. It does not deter crime. Imprisonment is the appropriate punishment. Every execution risks killing an innocent person.

Economy, probably liberal, pro union, anti MASSIVE big business, but i still favor the invisble hand, and competition

#-o

Education - school vouchers , no opinion

School vouchers will give all parents the right to choose good schools for their children, not just those who can afford private schools. Parents (who pay the taxes that fund the schools) should decide how and where to educate their child.

OR

School vouchers are untested experiments. We need to focus on more funding for existing public schools -to raise teacher salaries and reduce class size.

The Environment, conservative

Desire clean water, clean air and a clean planet, just like everyone else. However, extreme environmental policies destroy jobs and damage the economy.

Changes in global temperatures are natural over long periods of time. So far, science has not shown that humans can affect permanent change to the earth's temperature.

Gun Control , conservative

The Second Amendment gives the individual the right to keep and bear arms. Gun control laws do not thwart criminals. You have a right to defend yourself against criminals. More guns mean less crime.

Health Care, undecided, closer to conservative then liberal

Free healthcare provided by the government (socialized medicine) means that everyone will get the same poor-quality healthcare. The rich will continue to pay for superior healthcare, while all others will receive poor-quality free healthcare from the government. Health care should remain privatized.

Support Healthcare Spending Accounts.

OR

Support universal government-supervised health care. There are millions of Americans who can't afford health insurance. They are being deprived of a basic right to healthcare.

Homeland Security, conservative

Wary of parts of the Patriot Act

Immigration, conservative

Support legal immigration at current numbers, but do not support illegal immigration. Government should enforce immigration laws. Oppose President Bush's amnesty plan for illegal immigrants. Those who break the law by entering the U.S. illegally should not have the same rights as those who obey the law by entering legally.

If there were a decrease in cheap, illegal immigrant labor, employers would have to substitute higher-priced domestic employees, legal immigrants, or perhaps increase mechanization.

Religion, liberal

Support the separation of church and state. Religious expression has no place in government.

Support the removal of all references to God in public and government spaces.

Religion should not interfere with government.

Same-Sex Marriage, conservative

Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Opinions differ on support for the creation of a constitutional amendment establishing marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

Believe that requiring citizens to sanction same-sex relationships violates moral and religious beliefs of millions of Christians, Jews, Muslims and others who believe marriage is the union of a man and a woman.

Social Security, conservative

The current Social Security system is in serious financial trouble. Changes are necessary because the U.S. will be unable to maintain the current system it in the future. Support proposal to allow a portion of Social Security dollars withheld to be put into an account chosen by the individual, not the government.

Taxes, conservative

Support lower taxes and a smaller government. Lower taxes create more incentive for people to work, save, invest, and engage in entrepreneurial endeavors. Money is best spent by those who earn it.

United Nations (UN), conservative

The UN has repeatedly failed in its essential mission: to preserve world peace. The wars, genocide and human rights abuses of the majority of its member states (and the UN's failure to stop them) prove this point. History shows that the United States, not the UN, is the global force for spreading freedom, prosperity, tolerance and peace. The U.S. should never subvert its national interests to those of the UN.

War in Iraq, liberal

This is Bush's war for oil. Saddam Hussein was no real threat. We have not found weapons of mass destruction (WMDs), so Saddam did not have any. President Bush lied about WMDs and the dangers posed by Saddam. We should have given the UN more time. We have alienated the rest of the world by our unilateral action (‘go it alone' attitude).

A democracy can't succeed in Iraq. Not everyone wants to live in a democracy.

War On Terror/Terrorism, conservative

The world toward which the Militant Islamists strive cannot peacefully co-exist with the Western world. In the last decade, Militant Islamists have repeatedly attacked Americans and American interests here and abroad. The terrorists must be stopped and destroyed.

Welfare, conservative

Oppose long-term welfare. We need to provide opportunities to make it possible for poor and low-income workers to become self-reliant. It is far more compassionate and effective to encourage a person to become self-reliant, rather than keeping them dependent on the government for money.

12-4 conservative, with 3 topics on the bubble

Here's another good analogy I heard once:

Son: I got into a discussion with my professor today about conservatism and liberlism, dad. What's your take on the difference?

Dad: What kind of grades are you getting in college, son?

Son: All As and Bs.

Dad: You study hard?

Son: Yes, sir. When I'm not at work at my part time job, I'm studying. Of course it gets difficult at times because my room mate parties and is drunk and goofing off all the time.

Dad: What kind of grades does he get?

Son: He's failing, dad. I don't think he's going to graduate. He failed 3 classess last semester.

Dad: No, we won't let him fail. I tell you what we're going to do, son. We're going to take some of your good grades and give them to him so that he won't fail.

Son: WHAT! I've worked hard while he partied, was lazy and screwed around! Dad, that's not fair. He didn't work for those grades, I did!

Dad: Welcome to the Republican party, son.

Archived