Gibson Brands Forums

An Original Jr for $3,000!!!!

Rocky4

For those of you who know a bit about the guitars structure correct me if I am wrong; please. With the top portion of the guitar cut away I believe this idiot has also taken away from this guitars ability to be a stable platform with majority of the neck brace removed. I am assuming the neck is a set neck just like a regular LP' date=' so any tension of pulling up on the normal access would result in this guitars neck coming completely off.

Am I right?[/quote']

I agree with you Jocko... maybe if he hadn't cut it so close to the neck... the original cutaway is like 3 milimeters wide, but the "custom job" isnt even 1 milimeter... foget about bending.

What the hell was he thinking anyway? That guy must be the person with less notion of symetry in this side of the universe and timestream.

although the body on that one is a write-off, the neck (with brazilian fretboard), and most of the hardware (pickup, pots, tuners, bridge etc) could be salvaged and used for a 'conversion' with a different body. still not worth $3k tho'.

here's my '56 Jr.

56LPJR.jpg

The person who did it was probably the original owner and bought it when it was considered to be just a cheap POS guitar. My guess is that at some point he decided he wanted easier access to the upper frets, said "Why not, it's just a cheap POS" and cut out a chunk of it. Maybe the guy was a helluva player and needed an instrument to function the way he wanted it too but was too poor to buy another guitar like an SG so he did what he figured he needed to do.

There's a lot of BS mojo surrounding these guitars and, vintage or not, as a player and not a collector I wouldn't pay more than $800-900 for a Les Paul Junior. They were originally designed and built to be inexpensive student model guitars and just because a few rock stars played them doesn't make them any better than what they are in the first place. Collectors will view it much differently than I do, but that's still the reality of what those guitars were intended to be. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't love to have one set up like the Lennon model, but I'm not paying $5k just to have a second pickup in a guitar that was beat up by a professional.

Not at all. I just roll my eyes when I see people saying someone is an idiot for hacking up a cheap guitar - or any guitar - when they have no idea what the story is behind it. The guy probably did it a long time ago, back before people started idolizing guitars.

lol.

The person who did it was probably the original owner and bought it when it was considered to be just a cheap POS guitar. My guess is that at some point he decided he wanted easier access to the upper frets' date=' said "Why not, it's just a cheap POS" and cut out a chunk of it. Maybe the guy was a helluva player and needed an instrument to function the way he wanted it too but was too poor to buy another guitar like an SG so he did what he figured he needed to do.

There's a lot of BS mojo surrounding these guitars and, vintage or not, as a player and not a collector I wouldn't pay more than $800-900 for a Les Paul Junior. They were originally designed and built to be inexpensive student model guitars and just because a few rock stars played them doesn't make them any better than what they are in the first place. Collectors will view it much differently than I do, but that's still the reality of what those guitars were intended to be. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't love to have one set up like the Lennon model, but I'm not paying $5k just to have a second pickup in a guitar that was beat up by a professional.

[/quote']

i agree with you Rich, but pricetag is just ridic. my guess is that the original owner was left handed and since left handed guitars were rare he took a saw to it and improvised. but 2000 is still way too much even for sentimentality and vintage value

i agree with you Rich' date=' but pricetag is just ridic. my guess is that the original owner was left handed and since left handed guitars were rare he took a saw to it and improvised. but 2000 is still way too much even for sentimentality and vintage value[/quote']

That's a very likely possibility as well. Yeah, $2k is still way too much for that guitar no matter how old it is; although, as one person mentioned, it might have enough value in parts to sell in pieces.

That's a very likely possibility as well. Yeah' date=' $2k is still way too much for that guitar no matter how old it is; although, as one person mentioned, it might have enough value in parts to sell in pieces.

[/quote']

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-gibson-les-paul-p90-pickup-set-with-cream-covers_W0QQitemZ360094602758QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item360094602758&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1730%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Archived