Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Standard nut and frets?

gdw3

New Gibson owner here. Got a slightly used 2008 Standard, but I have a couple of questions....

I had played several 2008's at GC before buying this one. I was very impressed by how consistent the guitars were compared to each other, which was a problem I had with some Gibsons in the past. So I felt good about getting this one with only a little inspection.

I don't know exactly when the orig. owner bought the guitar new, but I think it's 6-8 months old. I know from reading various posts that Gibsons can have tuning issues, but that's not my question. It seems that the nut on the G string is too high (slot not deep enough), as I have to intone it slightly flat to play in tune near the nut. I did not come across this problem on the guitars I played in the stores.

Did Gibson experience a problem with the nut on the new Standards that they corrected, or did I just get a dud and have to get a new nut? Also, did they change the frets slightly on this model, or am I just freaking out and having a little buyer's remorse? It seems like the frets are slightly higher and smaller than I remember from the store models, which are more recently built. Did I get one that was built before they tweaked 'em?

The fact that I have to fix a problem on a guitar which I thought was going to bring me to Nirvana (not the band) is disappointing. Thanks for any knowledge or advice.

It is worth replacing the nut. Get a bone nut. I had to do that with my 2008 Standard--though it wasn't Gibson's fault. My stupid guitar tech cut it too deep in a few places. It made a huge difference getting a bone nut.

I think that after buying it - if you're not creaming your jeans but instead are feeling dissapointed - might be a good indicator that it's got to go back. If that's possible. For that much dough don't settle.

(in case you decide to keep it after all) CONGRAT'S ON THE NEW AX! Lets see some pics!!

I can only assume since it was used you got it for enough of a discount that you could still be ahead of the game by bringing it to a reputable set-up person to check out the guitar for you (file the nut if called for), and if your desire is to upgrade it, you can have him replace the nut with a bone version. I don't think you mentioned if you bought his from a dealer, or directly from the previous owner, but if from a dealer, unless sold as-is, a fair share worthwhile dealers are usually willing to set-up a guitar they sell if there are issues. Can't hurt to ask if that is your scenario.

Plekk = Snake Oil ...

I tend to agree with you, Axe. The first time I witnessed a PLEK machine in action was at the Martin factory a few years back. I was skeptical too, and asked the tour guide do they find themselves tweaking the PLEK machine's work at all? He said it was almost the other way around in some cases. My feeling is a PLEK is good for a production-line scenario, but I feel nothing replaces a talented person to identify and correct set-up issues, even ones from machines that can be so precise and accurate. Basically, my take is nothing can ever replace a human's touch and sensibilities.

isn't that part of the thing when buying a finer instrument, that people all over the production chain actually took the time to make sure they let go of a quality instrument that can be appreciated for generations to come?

i really like the fact that much of the work is handmade and that no guitar is exactly the same because of that.

The frets on my 2008 are a little higher than normal and to be honest, I tried about 5 in the shop before I bought it and they were the same. This is fine for me as I prefer them like this, but I can understand that some players don't and may want to get them filed down a little.

gdw3 - if you have some room, you might try lowering the action a smidge. I had the same problem with my 08 SG. I had room to drop my action a bit and the problem is gone.

AXE® - did you have to get penicillin shots? or did it clear up on its own?

To fix your "G" string is no big Deal. Before you replace your cheep Plastic nut, try this.

First get a 009 and a 010 high "E" string.

Clamp all 6 strings on the 3rd fret

If the clearance is more than .010 at exactly above the 1st fret with the usual string Gauge 9-42 or 10-48

You have a few options

1. If its close, use a heavier Gauge string set-up that will require a neck tension rod adjustment and a Bridge and intonation readjustment touch-up.

2. Or cut the slot Deeper with an old string (like a 009), note this will take a while and you must go slow and recheck your string height all the time and do not widen the slot right where it leaves the nut onto the fret board. Because if the nut does not pinch the string at that spot. It will deaden and flatten the string open. Your looking for 009 or 010 clearance to be safe, you can go less but that requies a real good forward bow on the neck (more relief) not recommended if you haven't played with this kinda stuff. But in my opinion is the best nut string height.

3 Say screw it and have pay someone else to replace that cheep plastic nut.

P.S. Most other brands BC Rich/Jacksons ect. come with the jumbo frets that are kinda nice, and do require a lighter touch to prevent going sharp. Especially on the first 3 when playing chords

Understand about the lighter touch. That's not a problem. It's just the fact that the string was going sharp at even the lightest touch, but only until about the 3rd or 4th fret.

I'll try lowering the action, too, just to see if anything changes, tho I don't know if I have much room. My guess is it's the nut....

Got the guitar back from the tech yesterday. Had the string heights at the nut fixed, and 2 of the string saddles were too flat, and causing the string to buzz metallically. Huge difference!! The axe has all sorts of vibe now! Plays and stays in tune (he applied lube to the nut - yow!).

I love this guitar now, but it should never have left the factory this way. Besides the lack of being able to play in tune, and buzz from the saddles, in looking at the fret work, there are obvious machine gouges behind many of the frets, near the edge of the fingerboard. Sloppy. For a $2600 guitar, you sure are paying a lot for the name alone, if the QC lets work like this go thru.

I will say that it sounds great, and with the chambered body, holds a note forever!

Got the guitar back from the tech yesterday. Had the string heights at the nut fixed' date=' and 2 of the string saddles were too flat, and causing the string to buzz metallically. Huge difference!! The axe has all sorts of vibe now! Plays and stays in tune (he applied lube to the nut - yow!).

I love this guitar now, but it should never have left the factory this way. Besides the lack of being able to play in tune, and buzz from the saddles, in looking at the fret work, there are obvious machine gouges behind many of the frets, near the edge of the fingerboard. Sloppy. For a $2600 guitar, you sure are paying a lot for the name alone, if the QC lets work like this go thru.

I will say that it sounds great, and with the chambered body, holds a note forever![/quote']

Glad you got your problem fixed. I have recently had the same done to my 2008. The nut was way too high apparently.

Anyway, plays like your now....

I don't have the ability to measure that distance, sorry. Was not warranty -- doesn't qualify as a "defect in workmanship", I guess. Fortunately, the tech I use is very reasonable (and good).

Archived