Gibson Brands Forums

My Take on Counterfeit Les Pauls

Californiaman

I've given this considerable thought lately and have come up with one conclusion as to why Gibson is reluctant to stop the importation and eventual sale of counterfeit Les Pauls.

It's about keeping the guitars at the highest possible price for the sake of profit. It forces the buyer, who knows darn well that there are counterfeits out there, to buy a Les Paul from a reputable shop. With counterfeits on the market, it's buyer beware. Gibson knows those fakes are out there. A smart buyer won't buy a guitar off the streets if there is even the slightest chance it's a fake. So they go to a local dealer who is contracted with Gibson to sell guitars at MRP or just below at MAP pricing. The buyers second choice is to buy from a reputable dealer who sells Gibson Guitars second hand. Sure it's used but it is a Gibson not a cheap counterfeit.

So that's my theory.

What's yours?

If you ever get the chance to play a MIJ Burny or Tokai (or one of the Edwards ones from ESP), you'll never have to speculate. You'll KNOW why that's the one thing Gibson WILL go out of their way to do (stop copycat guitars). They claim it's in the name of "protecting trademark" and whatnot, but those MIJ ones (including the Epi Japan and Elitist series) blow the USA stuff out of the water for a much more humane price, and God forbid no company spa retreat this year! Out of the thousands of "attacks" on the copycatters, a handful are to protect the buyers (like when you see the bolt-neck monstrosities on eBay that get pulled within a couple hours)---and YES, some people wouldn't know any better because they're not as in-the-know about some of the things a Gibson player immediately looks for when checking to see if one's legit---the rest are just those "oh, sh!t, they're making a guitar like ours but selling them for $500 (or much less in some cases)". Which leaves your only alternative to a reasonably-close facsimile in the hands of Epiphone, a Gibson brand. Not that I have any beef with Epiphones, but it's got nothing to do with integrity and everything to do with the almighty buck. Missing my old Ibanez '58-style "Destroyer" about now...that thing was better than ANY Gibson Explorer I've ever seen. :)

H-Bomb

Mmmh I still like Gibson Explorer better than the Destroyers...that's just me...

I think Epiphones are a goldmine for Gibson, I have had 3, still have 1 and they are worth about half of what they sell for...or less. Other knock off brands have the same quality as Epiphone and sell for 1/3 the price. I am not saying Epis are terribly bad (pickups are, except for P90s)but for the price? nah

I bet a lot of fakes comes right from the current Epi factories or from former factories.

I played a Greco Les Paul copy and it was OK, for the $1,000 it was selling for I still liked my LP VM better. I mean I was bit dissapointed. Nice looking guitar though.

I own cheap guitars that I am happy with and I love modding but some knock offs just don't cut it.

I inadvertently took a "Gibson" LP Custom in trade, (originally said it was an "off-brand",) and after some discussion, found it was made in the same factory, (at the time,) as the Korean Epiphones. What does this tell you?

It is actually a very nice axe and plays quite well. Telltale signs reveal it is not a Gibby, but the average guitarist would never know. It looks great, quality is excellent except for the yellowish gold plating, somewhat sloppy control cavity, and stupid, fake Grovers which I replaced with Gibson Tulip tuners. If you go all the way with this guitar-pups, bridge, etc., you have a very nice guitar that's one 7th the price of a GLP Custom.

I have kept it as an oddity, and would never sell it. It's a very interesting piece.

Archived