Gibson Brands Forums

Veterans?

KSG_Standard

I was just curious how many vets we have on the forum. U.S. or Other country.

I chose not to join the military when I graduated from high school in 1978. I wonder now about whether I made the right choice, but it's too late to do anything about it. If you did serve, what did you do in the military?

In my country it was obligatory to serve in the military for at least 1 year when you turned 18 at the time I turned 18 (1996) but I didnt serve because I was in the states studying (the people that didn't care about that and could, just avoided it); when I came back they finally had changed that so that you could chose to go or not.

I wanted to go in as a mechanic. There used to be an air base near here and I would have requested to be stationed here. I took my ASVABs in early '78 and got 95 on everything except Business Administration, which I got a 90 (that's using the Air Force scale of 100; others had odd numbering systems) and the Navy guy pestered the living snot out of me to go on a nuclear submarine. No thanks. Finally I stayed here and went to tech school and left my hair long. It's easy for me to look back and say I should have gone in but I'll stop short of saying that. I had my reasons for staying; no reflection on the service, just that being home outweighed all.

Welp, if kin count, my brother was in the Army, 86th Signal Battalion, stationed in Heilbronn Germany back in the early '70's. Went on from there to be a microwave tech for several phone companies when cellular communications was in it's infancy, and now is a computer tech working for again, several companies located in the greater Dallas Tejas locality. MAN, I kick myself for not going into the military!

My Dad was/is a Marine. He fought in the Pacific in WWII. Toughest man I have ever met, not just because he is my Dad, either.

I tried all 4 branches when I was in college in an attempt to fund my last 2 years, but was turned down everytime at the "asthma" part. Sucked- capital S.

I was, however, honored to be a den leader for my son's Cub Scout pack, and eventually was the Cub Master. It was an exceptionally humbling and incredible experience to teach those boys how to be men. If you have the time, seriously look into volunteering to help out with the local Scouting program.

Ok.. off the soap box.

I chose not to join after school, and I regret it now. My father was in Vietnam and retired in the late 80s. I have 3 brothers in law who are in the Army. Two of which fought in Iraq. Thank God for getting them home safely. My father in law, a great man, retired from the Navy. He was a Seabee.

They all give me hell for not joining on a pretty consistent basis.

My dad told me to get out right after I graduated HS. The navy had a sign "Boot Camp in Sunny San Diego" .. I was in San Diego 35 hours or so later. It was the BEST thing I every did (but it did not seem like it at the time). I went to Voc-Ed school (Sonar) and had the GI Bill to go to college when I got out. GI Bill paid for my Bachelors, Masters, Pilots License, part of law school, first house, first apartment building, and I am entitled to a grave (for ashes) and some medical care. The Navy taught me how to study (not HS) (sit down, shut up and listen, do the home work, do the labs, read the book). The Navy was the reason I got my first job. The Navy does not say "you can," they say "you will!" [i wish the Navy could have done some of that for my ex -- sit down, shut up and listen stuff -- she could have used a double dose of that stuff]. Cop stops an Irishman and says "I think you are drunk, you're wife fell out of your car 1 mile back..." the Irishmans says "Oh than God ... I thought I was goin deaf!"

At least half of the Systems Engineers that I have worked with in the network hardware and software business, have been ex-Navy or ex-Air Force comms or intel guys. Apparently, the military does a very good job of training and technical education. It's funny, at least half of my peers in the sales side of the network business are former Marines or Army...Apparently the Marines and Army do a very good job of training people to be fearless and pushy...

For all of you that have served, I thank you and I appreciate your service.

I wanted to go in as a mechanic. There used to be an air base near here and I would have requested to be stationed here. I took my ASVABs in early '78 and got 95 on everything except Business Administration' date=' which I got a 90 (that's using the Air Force scale of 100; others had odd numbering systems) and the Navy guy pestered the living snot out of me to go on a nuclear submarine. No thanks. Finally I stayed here and went to tech school and left my hair long. It's easy for me to look back and say I should have gone in but I'll stop short of saying that. I had my reasons for staying; no reflection on the service, just that being home outweighed all.[/quote']

You talking about Loring AFB in Limestone, ME? I spent my last six months of active duty there in 82.

USAF - 10 years

Intelligence - yeah I was a spy

I worked the last five years at the National Security Agency (NSA) in a little office called the National Security (formerly SIGINT) Operations Center known simply as NSOC.

Imagery Analyst US Army 96D20.

Ft Riley, 1st ID(M) the Big Red One.

Korea

Osan AB, w/Air Force, learned to process film.

Ft Huachuca.

86-92, disabled.

Went to places like Canada, Mexico, Korea, Canada, Belgium, Germany and Japan.

Some of was pretty good, others not so good.

Talking about things without getting in trouble is an art form, just don't get too specific...

Miltary types are proactive, its trained into you.

Archived