Gibson Brands Forums

Why is there no ebony 61 reissues?

ics1974

From time to time Gibson offers the SG '61 RI in variuos colors and some dealers will have exclusive colors too. A couple of years ago Gibson offered the '61 SG in white and black finishes as part of the "Guitar of the Week" series. You may still be able to find one from an internet dealer or ebay. You could also ask you local Gibson dealer about ordering one in black for you.

i just bought a ebony black 61 reissue, it is a 2007 guitar of the week (week6} limited editon only 400 made the only issue is it has gold hardware. i thought it was cool because they only come in cherry. i am starting to get use to the gold but may switch to nickel some day.

i bought mine at a vintage guitar shop i paid 1400.00 it looks brand new but some one switched out the bridge pick up to a 498t and put gold metal pick up rings on it, i went to a 57 classic plus bridge pick up and new gibson black plastic rings and new strings so now i am into it for another 145.00.

i just bought a ebony black 61 reissue' date=' it is a 2007 guitar of the week (week6} limited editon only 400 made the only issue is it has gold hardware. i thought it was cool because they only come in cherry. i am starting to get use to the gold but may switch to nickel some day.

i bought mine at a vintage guitar shop i paid 1400.00 it looks brand new but some one switched out the bridge pick up to a 498t and put gold metal pick up rings on it, i went to a 57 classic plus bridge pick up and new gibson black plastic rings and new strings so now i am into it for another 145.00.[/quote']

Nice... When I saw the question above I thought of this GOTW as well. But generally speaking black is more commonly found on the standards, not the reissue. Unless of course as mentioned above if it was a special order.

Not to hiojack this one, but I would LOVE to get my hands on a mid 60's ('65?) Pelham Blue.... But they go for what, $16k+ in the vintage market?? Were there any Pelham Blue Reissues? I have to go look as I haven't made the effort to look yet.

Archived