Gibson Brands Forums

Pick a Pickguard

snkysnake

Please take a look at the pics. From my other thread you'll already know that my first real git was a 1968 J45 , with the batwing J200 style pickguard. Ignore the colors in these pics. The PDF file with accurately sized pickguards was only available in one color. I will be going with a much darker color, similar to the factory teardrops color. I'm leaning toward the J200 size. What do you think?

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Here's the one I put on my J-45. It's a tortoise batwing' date=' same as a J-50, from Terrapin pickguards.[/size']

Pic1210.jpg

OOOOHHH... I like that Batwing... hmmmmmmmm...........[-o<

In answer to the topic, its your call - I think TWilson's proves that if you get a good bat wing, it can look uber-cool. However the traditional teardrop is ace too. I'd have no issues with either!

Neither of those two. Get ahold of Terrapin Guitars and have John make you the proper size and shaped Gibson teardrop guard. Really forget the two patterns that you have there. Terrapin can make you a nice guard for around $30.

Neither of those two. Get ahold of Terrapin Guitars and have John make you the proper size and shaped Gibson teardrop guard. Really forget the two patterns that you have there. Terrapin can make you a nice guard for around $30.

+1 That's where I got mine. I called and talked to John' date=' a nice guy, and decided on the 0.060" thickness. He said he is able to put a nicer bevel on it and it's more like the vintage guards. He resides about 40 miles down the road from me. He added the J-45 pickguard after I ordered mine as he didn't know the J-50 and J-45 were interchangeable. Give him a buzz.[/size']

C.F. Mutton ha ha haaaaa....

I dig big guards 90% of the time. If I had it to do over on my CJ165 I would seriously consider 40s style, like on a banner J45 or LG with the little indentation in the lower edge. The batwing looks a little too big on the CJ.

When Gibson used Martinesque guards on some J45s, SJs, Blue Ridges, etc., I was a little sick to my stomach. It's a Gibson, it's almost impossible to go 'too far' but it's easy to not go far enough.

Well, I made the decision , and went with the J-200 "Batwing" from Terrapin. I know some of you that responded leaned towards the traditional "gibson teardrop" , but I met you half way, LOL , I went with the "traditional " batwing that was on my 1968 J45. And JR , you have a good eye, as stated in the poll , the teardrop that was in the poll was a D-28 (Martin) shape , approximately one quarter inch bigger on the treble side of the teardrop than a gibby teardrop. Thanks to TWilson for the pic and all that responded , the wait begins for my new pickguard !

Hey TW, does Terrapin do black bound PGs for the SJ200? I searched in ernest months ago for one and found one at Nichols but he wanted over 300 buckaroos for it and I passed at the time. I think I remember talking to Terrapin and they didn't, but I could be wrong. I would love to find an affordable black/white/black bound pickguard for my MC. Still lookin....

Archived