Gibson Brands Forums

Should The U.S. normalize relations with Cuba?

Homz

Optimism Marks Future for U.S.-Cuba Relations

Groups Lobby to End the Embargo but Obama Will Sustain Trade Laws

By MARC FRANK

HAVANA, Cuba, Feb. 25, 2009

The dawn of President Obama and twilight of the Castro brothers' rule has shifted discussion on U.S.-Cuban relations in both countries and around the world from whether they will improve to how quickly and how far normalization might proceed.

Are improved U.S.-Cuba relations on the horizon?

Outside the Copelia ice cream parlor in downtown Havana, the young people waiting to be served recently were all smiles, twinkling eyes and talkative when asked about Obama.

They had great expectations.

"It is hard to imagine life without the embargo but we will know it soon enough," Carlos Diaremos, a Havana University student, said with a big grin as ellow students around him nodded in agreement.

U.S. congressional staffers have been passing through Havana this year to get the lay of the land. All agree change is in the wind but will take time and begin with increased cooperation in areas of mutual interest such as the environment, drug trafficking, immigration. Perhaps Cuba will be taken off the State Department's terrorist list.

Richard Lugar of Indiana, the leading Republican on the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee, this week called for a full review of U.S. policy toward the communist-run Island, a loosening of travel restrictions and increased cooperation in security-related areas.

Organizations that have worked for years in the U.S. Congress to lift sanctions on Cuba reported that corporations and business groups that had been discouraged and intimidated into silence by the Bush administration now feel free to lobby Congress and the president.

The American Farm Bureau, American Society of Travel Agents, National Retail Association, American Chamber of Commerce, Business Roundtable and many other organizations have already called for an end to the trade embargo, especially in light of Cuba's economic problems.

A bill eliminating all travel restrictions to Cuba has already been introduced in Congress this year and is given a fair chance of passage.

Adding to expectations that fundamental change is near are demands from Latin America that sanctions end, and a gradual shift in the traditional uncompromising attitude toward the island in Miami, home to close to 1 million Cuban-Americans.

Homz,

I know you're hard-wired to avoid logic at all costs (this is one more thread to prove it) but consider this;

How about if Cuba normalizes relations with the US?

They know what they have to do.

The US didn't do anything to Cuba, they did it to themselves.

If communism has NOT failed everywhere, why would Cuba need us anyway?

Cuba was booming in the fifties, US money was pouring in thru tourism and trade and THEY killed it.

Not much in the way of tourism and travel from their fellow communist countries, eh?

What part of this do you not understand?

Why do you keep posting this stupid sh!t in a guitar forum?

Are you sure you're not a student at Columbia or Stanford?

When Cuba gets rid of the Castro crew and the scraps don't fall to hard-line leftists, they can attract trade the old-fashioned way - people will want to invest in the country. Ain't gonna happen if the gov't owns everything.

Homz' date='

I know you're hard-wired to avoid logic at all costs (this is [i']one more[/i] thread to prove it) but consider this;

How about if Cuba normalizes relations with the US?

They know what they have to do.

The US didn't do anything to Cuba, they did it to themselves.

If communism has NOT failed everywhere, why would Cuba need us anyway?

Cuba was booming in the fifties, US money was pouring in thru tourism and trade and THEY killed it.

Not much in the way of tourism and travel from their fellow communist countries, eh?

What part of this do you not understand?

Why do you keep posting this stupid sh!t in a guitar forum?

Are you sure you're not a student at Columbia or Stanford?

When Cuba gets rid of the Castro crew and the scraps don't fall to hard-line leftists, they can attract trade the old-fashioned way - people will want to invest in the country. Ain't gonna happen if the gov't owns everything.

I know your hard wired to not have a clue what I am saying. You are so eager to jump my *** you don't even notice that I have made no assertions. I just brought up the post to get people talking about the issue. I have made no point. I posted an article even put the author's name. Your mental disorder prohibits you from understanding that sometimes the person you are trying to prove wrong has made no assertions in which to argue with. Look before you leap, please.

Chan,

Are you talking about the people or the gov't.

Just sayin...

The gov't knew exactly what they were killing.

Castro knew exactly what he was doing.

Kinda hard to keep that up when all your rich uncles have died....

Ah yes, here we go again.

Homz, you never learn do you?

I know your hard wired to not have a clue what I am saying.

I know exactly what you're saying' date=' and what your efforts are.

You are so eager to jump my *** you don't even notice that I have made not assertions.

Typical Liberal bullsh!t, throw gas in the fire then stand back with your hands up saying "What...? I didn't do anything."

I just brought up the post to get people talking about the issue.

In a GUITAR FORUM.

Why?

I have made no point.

You never do.

NEVER.

So' date=' why?

I posted an article even put the author's name.

Here's your medal.

Do you need a chest to pin it on?

Your mental disorder prohibits you from understanding that sometimes the person you are trying to prove wrong has made no assertions in which to argue with.

What the fxck did you just post?

What was the title of your thread?

Was anybody else here talking about it before you "helped" them out?

Again' date=' you're a typical Liberal sh!t-stirring flame thrower irritating people for kicks.

Look before you leap' date=' please. [/quote']

I'm looking right at you, no issue there.

Oh, yeah, I forgot....

"What...? I didn't do anything."

You're like a spoiled 5 year old who never got a spanking.

It's really quite sad. I think your probably an intelligent person. You simply have one view of the good guys and the the bad guys (liberals). I try daily to make you understand that not many people fit into that mold. I have voted for conservative Republicans and I have voted for Independents. I am more then willing to talk about any issue and If you ever actually read my words you will see I am closer to center then you think I am. Where as it is true we will never see eye to eye on many issues I often make posts with the intent of reading about others thoughts. On the Cuba issue I'm not hung up on the issue enough to even take a position.

Well that's about all I have to say. Just one further point. I am done explaining anything to you. If you wish to engage in resaonable conversation without your personal attacks then I will talk. If not, I'm good with that too. You call me a sh1t for brains liberal if it makes you feel better. I will no long respond in any way to that sort of useless crap. I made a promise to not engage in such exchanges. I will honor my promise.

It wasn't until the mid 90's that our relationship with Viet Nam finally started working toward normalization.

I do have a difficult time understanding our governments relationship with Cuba. I think much of the official position is based on the political desire to not offend the Cuban/American population in South Florida. That's just my opinion.

What's your opinion on the Cuba thing KSG?

Well, our policy of the last 40 plus years hasn't changed anything there...we had normal relations with the USSR and China and now with Vietnam...My thought is that maybe we could better change Cuba if we traded with them, Raul is old just like Fidel is, maybe by normalizing relations with them now, we can help to set them up for change when the Castro bros finally pass on to Commie hell.

Somebody needs to sell those poor people some newer cars, might as well be us. That is when they have an economy.

Archived