Gibson Brands Forums

I must ask this question, please don't hurt me.

eeh1

I have a Martin D28E (acoustic electric) that was converted, retopped by kevin Kopp when he worked for the Gibson Custom shop. The 2 holes were plugged that a jack and volume contol (I guess) were placed for the D28E. Kevin used a red adirondack sruce top and braced it the same as 1937 specs. The guitar has straight grained brazilian rosewood, bone nut and saddle and sounds fantastic. From a collectors point of view it is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad from a players point of view it sounds goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. I see they have the D28 Authentic that was made with hide glue but everything else in my guitar is the same. It has the herringbone trim, long straight through saddle etc etc. What would the difference be between my guitar and a 1937 vintage or authentic? Besides the price and originality, this is a fantastic sounding guitar.

I'm guessing the same difference as between night and day.

IMO, pricewise, you'd start with what a D28E might go for and cut that amount at least in half. I have no idea what one of those 'E' series guitars are worth...and since you actually took the "E' out of the equation with the retop...maybe a better guess would be to just take what a regular D28 from the same year as the E and cut that value in half.

Make Sense?

Other aspects of the guitar's playability - the neck is going to be completely different from a 30's era D. This is a big deal for players/collectors as well. So if you REALLY want to come close to a prewar D28, you might get a new neck from Martin that's a copy of a prewar D28 and put it on your E. (I did this once with a 50's D18)

Archived