Gibson Brands Forums

So how do you

Geff

Sell your soul to the devil in order to become a great blues player?

I only ask because my mid-life-crisis plan to become a famous guitarist, despite starting to play at the ripe old age of cough-splutter, isnt going quite as well as I had hoped!

I have a beautiful SG (admittedly a high-end epi with Gibson USA pickups but it is a work of art) and it sounds great when my friend, who can play pretty well, plays it but I seem to have had all trace of musical talent removed at birth. Unfortunately my friend is a Christian and plays in one of those religious bands so its no good asking him about deals with the horned god - he wouldnt approve.

Edited for fat finger syndrome

Sell your soul to Darwin instead...After all, he is the high priest of 'natural ability'. I think the saying 'it's in the genes' has a lot of truth - pitch recognition, finger strength, co-ordination etc, But I think that with determination, patience and a good learning system (with good support) you can work wonders.

How about your Christian friend helping you - after all it is better to give than receive !

Hey Geff,

Here's how you do it: You take a black cat bone (way mucho hoo doo) and a feather from a recently sacrificed chicken (more way mucho hoo doo). You put that in a wooden box (cigar box if possible) and put a picture of yourself in it, along with a hair from your head and something of yours that is personal (a favorite guitar pick, maybe) .

Now, on a full moon, you find a dirt road out in the country that has a crossroads. You dig a hole at midnight in the very center of the crossroads, and bury the box with said items inside. Wait a few minutes, and a man (or woman, it depends) will come walking down the road and ask you how he/she can help you.

You make your deal. But it's gonna cost you somethin' dear. Be careful.

As a 40 year old man on the verge of a similar crisis . . . that's how I've HEARD that you do it. . .

Keep up the practice! It'll happen.

Look around for a book called "Blues You Can Use" by John Ganapes. I've been using it with my teacher for the past few months, and my soloing and technique is really benefiting from it. What's nice is that it comes with a CD of every song (with both slow and fast versions so you can work on technique rather than speed), it has scale exercises, theory, and it will really help with your bends, slides, shifts. Blues is supposed to come from the soul, but the book will help you learn how to channel your soul into the strings.

P.S. H-Bomb' date=' that '67 was a piece of junk. Neck pickup fried, rusty screws, replaced parts. All that for $4,000.00. I walked.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that man. If it were at least the original finish (no breaks), pickups (functioning) and tailpiece (and no stopbar mod in its history) I MIGHT have offered him 3K for it if everything else was at least functional and original-looking (in terms of fairly period-correct). But you gotta' go with the gut, and don't let anyone talk you into something that just doesn't seem right. Way to exert the self-control, bro!

H-Bomb

Just my wry sense of humour Murph' date=' although I've heard that Hollywood are making a film showing how America actually won the war in Vietnam...[/quote']

Huh?

You mean, we didn't?

=D>

Darn that Jane Fonda........

Murph.

Archived