Gibson Brands Forums

3 screw truss rod covers on Gibsons

ksdaddy

3 screw covers have long been a sign of a fake (and in most cases it's true!) but I knew I had seen them for real on some 70s Gibsons. Now there's one in the flesh about 8 feet from my desk. It's a 1973-75 J-50 Deluxe. I can't explain why some had 3 screws and some 2 but if you look at the routing above the nut there's not a blessed thing there to put a screw in. It probably has some simple explanation but it would take someone that worked on Parsons Street in 1974 to clear it up.

20zbqy9.jpg

2yl1jb5.jpg

I'm at a loss for words about the pickguard but it sure doesn't look like a replacement. It looks as old as the guitar and no weirdness around the edges etc.....

jpekub.jpg

Scott-great pickguard, not as cool as your "That Girl" one, but fine indeed.( Maybe "That Girl" with a severe head wound.) It also looks like he has one of the last known sets of B.C. "One white-one black-four white-dot" fossilized yak sternum pins also. They are rare and do not grow on trees. (Try to steal them!)

Maybe it's a rendition of Marlo Thomas after someone threw a pair of running hedge clippers at her. I wish someone would play this guitar on Austin City Limits so someone would note the pins. I'm betting B.C. would be getting some custom orders.

One cracked brace repaired, two loose braces reglued, two small soundhole cracks repaired, pin holes ramped, truss rod cranked (to no avail), pickguard cracks repaired, and the living snot buffed out of the top.

I stole it from the movie Christine, I've been saying it since then, and I will continue to say it. You cannot polish a turd.

Thank you, Henry. Thank you, Ren. Thank you everyone in Bozeman. It takes something like this to remind me that you saved the Gibson line of acoustics.

Period.

One cracked brace repaired' date=' two loose braces reglued, two small soundhole cracks repaired, pin holes ramped, truss rod cranked (to no avail), pickguard cracks repaired, and the living snot buffed out of the top.

I stole it from the movie Christine, I've been saying it since then, and I will continue to say it. You cannot polish a turd.

Thank you, Henry. Thank you, Ren. Thank you everyone in Bozeman. It takes something like this to remind me that you saved the Gibson line of acoustics.

Period.[/quote']

+1.

I, for one, have never understood the hatred for Henry.

Without Henry, one could only imagine....................

Murph.

Archived