Gibson Brands Forums

Did you used to have long hair? When and why did you cut it...

daveinspain

I had long hair twice.... When I was in my early twenties and I was working with a rock band. I forget why I cut it the first time but I decided to grow it back long when I was in my mid 30's and kept it long until it started turning gray.... I just felt long gray hair wasn't cool any more....

Yes. I started growing it around my senior year of highschool and cut it right before my senior year of college. I cut it because I was getting tire of wearing it the same way for so long so I had one of my frat brothers take hair clippers and shave the sides out leaving the top and back long, sort of a mohawk but without spiking it up. I was simply not getting laid looking like that so I got it all cut off several months later.

There were a few times when I made lame attempts at growing it long again but couldn't deal with the Shaun Cassidy stage and ended up just getting it cut again. At 42 years old, it wouldn't look as good as it did when I was younger and I doubt I'd have the patience to deal with it anyway.

Then:

rich-art.jpg

Now:

me.jpg

My hair's shoulder length right now. The shortest it's ever been is a couple inches below my ear, the longest was down pretty close to my butt. Right now I'm happy with my current length because I can put it in a hair band if I'm lazy. I've got really thick, curly/wavy hair. It's a pain in the *** to deal with.

Twice. First time I cut it because I lost a bet in highschool (early 80s as well) and shaved completely bald. Now, this was back before bald was cool and everybody was doing it. As a skinny white boy (130 lbs) everyone thought I was sick with cancer. Seriously. I know it's dark humor, but it's true.

Anyway, here's me circa 1984 or so.

allenhippie.jpg

Then, until it grew back out to shoulder length, I had a mullet. In the 80s they weren't just for rednecks and lesbians.

Then, I cut it to get my first real job with a big time company.

Mine's been long several times, starting in '64 when I got out of high school. It would get cut for various jobs and would grow back when the job allowed. When I got into my 50's in the late 90's I could tell very easily that long hair when it gets gray like mine does not look good. I cringe whenever I see some gray beard, gray hair old guy with a pony tail or some other long hair style. They may trying to retain their youth but really, the long hair justs look silly at some point.

I Grew my hair the first time as a Junior in Highschool 1987-8. Real long hair, no Mullets here. I loved it. It was Curly and Big, looked just like Robert Plant in 1968-9.

I cut it all the way down to a "Saleman's Cut" (Above the neck and above the ears) in1996. Kinda liked the wind on my scalp, but the girls left me alone and my Stage Precence was noticeably diminished. Haven't cut it short since, but it grew back Longer than Big, no more 'Fro for Me :-s

I had long hair when I was growing up never liked to get a hair cut.... and at the age of 30 I bought my first house and my hair just started falling out to the point where I'm almost bald.

So I shaved my head bald.

I'm 48 BTW.

Tom

I had long hair when I was growing up never liked to get a hair cut.... and at the age of 30 I bought my first house and my hair just started falling out to the point where I'm almost bald.

So I shaved my head bald.

I'm 48 BTW.

Tom

LOL! Buying a house will do that to you.

Had long hair in college. Cut it just before getting married after my junior year. Started growing it out again after I left a school where the principal was a Napoleon and everyone had to be exactly the same. Now, soon to be 56, it is down my back almost to my waist. I wear it in a braid or a biker braid. If I let it loose, I look like cousin It!

Not to much before I joined the military' date=' when I got out I grew it to past shoulder length (), [b']not demoons version of long hair[/:)]but I was told by my supervisor at GE-ITS that if I wanted to get past 3rd level support and server god he would suggest I cut my hair to look the part. I cut my hair but I guess not short enough because I was laid off due to lack of work and contracts for GE. Currently I have really short hair until my son returns from Iraq, kinda of a tribute to him and his service.

Wait whats that post to mean?

My hair is just really big not long, i mean its not at my shoulders but the wiggers in NY think its long.

Archived