Gibson Brands Forums

Did you used to have long hair? When and why did you cut it...

daveinspain

Mine was pretty long back in the day, but I suffered from the "flyaways" and used to have to wear a dewrag. Eventually, I got sick of looking at it, and cut it. Now at 49, flyaway hair aint much of a problem since I now suffer from pattern baldness, If I grew it now I'd look like a frikkin' monk. As a result, it is now kept short.

Wait whats that post to mean?

My hair is just really big not long' date=' i mean its not at my shoulders but the wiggers in NY think its long.[/quote']

You have hairmetal hair?!

Like this?:

whitesnake.jpg

btw I'm just giving you a hard time. don't worry my hair's pretty big and curly too. )

Geeze, guys... even "Grampa" is younger than I am! (Okay, just by a year.)

Actually by criteria of the photos so far, I guess I never really had long hair. Enough to cover the ears 18-25, but as one friend suggested, it was more of a "sheepherder" look than "long."

Now? Well, I hate like hell to have the barber show me what the back of my head looks like because it's beginning to resemble a tonsure of a monk in the middle ages.

Actually some truly long hair likely would be rather dangerous for me in some of the stuff I've done. And I don't mean from people who don't like long hair, but literally dangerous. So... seldom much more than "shaggy" sorts of look.

I agree that gray likely looks best relatively short. But I'm damned if I wanna have gray facial hair, so that's out too, unlike the olden days of youth...

Hmmmmmm.

Anyway' date=' here's me circa 1984 or so.

[img']http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh383/jamesallenwat/allenhippie.jpg[/img]

Then, until it grew back out to shoulder length, I had a mullet.

In the 80s they weren't just for rednecks and lesbians.

Still not!

I'm keeping the mullet alive by God, when it comes back in style I can say I told you so!

I looked just like James Allen here, and about the same time. Got outta high school in 1983.

Of course, I was 130 pounds in 7th grade so by this time I was well over 200 and 6 feet.

I cut my hair when I was 28.

Had my first baby on the way, but that's not the whole story.

I was at a friend's shop one afternoon, swapping axles under my truck/his Suburban.

I had built a 550 horsepower 468" big block Chevy for my truck and was worried the 10 bolt rear end wouldn't handle it.

He agreed to let me swap the complete axles for free, the old Suburban was going to salvage anyway.

I was in the shop by myself, both trucks on jacks, busting the spring hangers loose.

Rolling around on a creeper, really cranking on the rusty bolts with a long 1/2" breaker bar.

I just about had the last one loose, giving it all I had when I rolled the creeper over my hair that was hanging on the floor. Uh oh. I tried to move the creeper back, but the wheels caster - no tellng which way.

I now had my head sucked down against the creeper, unable to move far enough to see what kind of tangled mess I had wrapped around the wheel. I yelled for my friend, but he was in the office at the front of the building.

I was truly stuck.

Laid there for a minute, thinking he just might walk back there....

Nope.

So, I wrapped my hair in my hands best I could and just started pulling it like it was a rope.

Finally, enough of it ripped out of the wheel under the creeper that I could start breaking a few strands at a time until I was free. I walked up front with the creeper in my hands to show my friend what a fix I had been in.

I needed small pliers to start pulling the huge wad of hair out of the creeper wheel so it would work.

Joe took one look and busted out laughing (his hair was much longer than mine) so I checked the mirror.

Wow.

Went home, took a shower, only then did I realize how much hair I lost on one side in the back.

Got in my truck, drove to the mall to get a haircut since it was the only place open at 8:00 PM.

The lady seemed very concerned, wondered if I was okay.

Yes, yes, yes.... Just cut off what you need to clean it up.

Never been quite that long since.

Still not!

I'm keeping the mullet alive by God' date=' when it comes back in style I can say I told you so!

.[/quote']

My wife laughs her *** off everytime she sees that picture of me. Be careful, Neo, don't inspire me to grow another mullet! It could cost me my marriage!

Archived