Gibson Brands Forums

LP tones you most admire

Maple

who are you fav LP players for tone.. and have you been able to cop those tones? and how?

being pretty new to playing LP's (less than a week) i'm just using with my existing gear. i did find last night i got a pretty decent Beano tone with my LP w/ '57 Classics -> Blues Pro -> PRRI. i was going by memory of course so it may have been really off... but it sounded pretty good to me.

i also like Joe Bonamassa, Peter Greene, 70's Kiss / Ace

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this order exactly:

1) Tom Scholz - Boston

2) Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne (classic lineup)

3) Neil Schon - Journey

4) John Norum - Europe (I think he plays LPs, I could be wrong)

**Though Alex Lifeson (Rush) currently plays Les Pauls (after being with PRS for 20 years or so), the classic Rush tones I worship were mostly made with his alpine white Gibson ES-355 if I remember right.

Gary Moore - 'Don't believe a word', from Back On The Streets Again. No, I never got that sound. In addition to the tone, I really like the ambience and the reverb

Also Al DiMeola - 'Elegant Gypsy Suite'. Combining the pickups with a great stereo phaser. On the same track, he uses high gain but the clarity is amazing - probably again with both pickups selected.

His tone in 'Fire and Water' was his best for me.

I love that song too. And don't get me started on Mr. Big. I can play it for hours! (Until my wife tells me to play something else) =P~ I think it's so cool the way he uses small chord voicings to get such big sounds. The chorus of "All Right Now" is another example of this. I think he was lazy about rhythm guitar - brilliantly lazy - and he found a lot of really cool chord voicings because of it. Why move the hand way up there if I can play this two note chord right here. Gotta love it.

I read a Guitar World article a while back and was shocked to learn that Gibbons used a strat for La Grange and Blue Jean Blues.

He's used a lot of stuff. My favorite tone is the live side of Fandango... just sickeningly fat.

I love that song too. And don't get me started on Mr. Big. I can play it for hours! (Until my wife tells me to play something else) :-& I think it's so cool the way he uses small chord voicings to get such big sounds. The chorus of "All Right Now" is another example of this. I think he was lazy about rhythm guitar - brilliantly lazy - and he found a lot of really cool chord voicings because of it. Why move the hand way up there if I can play this two note chord right here. Gotta love it.

+1.

As I've said elsewhere he's in my top 3 all-time players.

Further to surfpup's comments on his lazy ('economic' would sound more polite!) approach; for me it is shown at it's best on the live version of "The Hunter". Just filling-in with some wondrous phrasing during the verses.

True Genius.

I guess I'll be the one to say Slash. I don't car what people think though. I love his music GnR' date=' VR, Snake Pit, things hes done with different artists ex. Alice Cooper, and I'm looking forward to his solo album. Oh and Page is good too, Randy as well[/quote']

i picked up GnR's AFD last night, had the cassette years ago when it came out. listened to in the car on the drive to work this morning... man oh man i forgot how AMAZAING Slash is and what killer record that is. no joke, it's great! i'm going to be busy learning all the licks i can off of that CD this weekend (between hockey games of course =D> )

sorta off topic.. but does anyone know what Slash is up to now that Velvet Revolver is dead?

i picked up GnR's AFD last night' date=' had the cassette years ago when it came out. listened to in the car on the drive to work this morning... man oh man i forgot how AMAZAING Slash is and what killer record that is. no joke, it's great! i'm going to be busy learning all the licks i can off of that CD this weekend (between hockey games of course =D> )

sorta off topic.. but does anyone know what Slash is up to now that Velvet Revolver is dead?[/quote']

For what I know they are just auditioning for a new singer, but I might be wrong...

In this order exactly:

**Though Alex Lifeson (Rush) currently plays Les Pauls (after being with PRS for 20 years or so)' date=' the classic Rush tones I worship were mostly made with his alpine white Gibson ES-355 if I remember right.[/quote']

You are correct sir. And I agree 100%. I love Alex's new tone with almost all LP's. However, he still picks up the ES-355 every once in awhile, which is ok by me.

oh man.... how could i forget Johnny A?!?! i know he plays his own model now but most of his first disk was done on a Les Paul... and he's got an amazing clean tone

Johnny A! Great to see his name mentioned, and you are right, what a great tone.

Matt

Archived