Gibson Brands Forums

LP tones you most admire

Maple

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:- And still no one includes this man in their list! I assume most of you have heard of him right?

I am floored no one mentioned Sean Costello!!! He is my favorite Les Paul Flavor! I was able to get his sound with a 2007 R6' date=' and a Princeton Reverb! I can get it with my twin and a clean Boost pedal, but the wife and kids start screaming! :-)

I love most of what has been posted, but blew my mind no one beat me to it!

RIP Sean![/quote']

Atlhough I will echo the names / preferences of many' date=' I'm proud to add a name in the list [cursing']/ (look No. 6):

6. Billy Duffy - Ceremony, Electric, Sonic Temple

Yeah. Good call mate. Sonic Temple's one of my fave albums. Billy was really playing great and getting some terrific tones that he's never really elaborated on since I reckon.

#-o And still no one includes this man in their list! I assume most of you have heard of him right?

:-s :- :- [-(

Ok' date= yeah, I am gonna be movin' on now. Things are just not working out...[lol] LOL J/K

Honestly, if you have never, then you need to spend a little time and scratch to buy his last 3 CD's

"Moanin' for molasses"

Self titled "Sean Costello"

and "We can get togeather"

Yeah. Good call mate. Sonic Temple's one of my fave albums. Billy was really playing great and getting some terrific tones that he's never really elaborated on since I reckon.

In fact, Billy had several tones through his career with the Cult. On electric he had a big change since the previous ones, when he had to dispose ALL of his FX (as ordered by the producer - can't remember the name for sure - Mutt Lange perhaps...?) in order to achieve the classic ''Les Paul in a Marshall'' crunch. Same was used on the next 2 albums, and was encouraged by Bob Rock on Sonic Temple.

However, on the album after Ceremony (titled by the band's name only) changed dramatically. Lots of FX came in and he would use 2-3 combined on each song. However, his Sonic Temple - Ceremony - Electric era had a fabulous tone...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVVZPefbR4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVVZPefbR4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• 3 months later...

Well, in my opinion Jimmy Page is THE Les Paul player of all times.

Others great Paula players are:

Duane Allman

Billy Gibbons

Frank Zappa

Warren Haynes

And Haynes even has a great voice to go with his unbelievable playing!

If we are talkin' strictly LP tone then definitely Gary Moore on Still Got The Blues, esp toward the end when he switches to the bridge pickup. In regards to Slash "It's 5 O'clock Somewhere by Snakepit was an incredible album !

Les Pauls aside Michael Schenker ALWAYS has great tone, but for me Matthias Jabs on the Blackout album...his tone is just perfect on tracks like Arizona, Can't Live Without You, No one Like You etc.

Michael Schenker is my fav player but Matthias had incredible tone for ONE album !

i'd have to say the jonas brothers. wait, what?

haha all joking aside i'd say i agree with tom scholz, larry carlton, duane allman, and every other amazing musician that everyone leaves out worth mentioning. i know dererk trucks uses an SG, but i'd like to throw him in there since he's still in the gibson family :(

Archived