Gibson Brands Forums

Your Most UNDER-Rated Guitarists

DuaLeaD

Les Paul players or not, who do you feel isn't getting as much credit as they deserve?!

1) Vito Bratta (White Lion): Eddie Van Halen inspired him, but I think he pulls it off even smoother

2) John Norum (Europe): 2nd favorite classical-influenced rocker, next to Randy Rhoads

3) Tom Scholz (Boston): Signature tone from space....it's all been said

4) Neil Schon (Journey): Any song....My vote for best string BENDER ever! Amazing tone.

5) Reb Beech (Winger): "Headed for a Heartbreak" Lead-out & solo

6) Robbie Krieger (The Doors): Dreamy guitar playing trippier than David Gilmour

7) David Gilmour (Pink Floyd): Shattered the notion that a solo had to be fast to be GOOD. So much passion in his playing!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Gooch - Ten Years After Now; Fabulous guitar player. Fast and tastefull. Like Alvin Lee without the sloppiness

Pat Keil - Groove Hogs; Fantastic blues guitarist

max2343, you hip to the Groove Hogs? They're from your neck of the woods -

Elliot Easton from the Cars. Someone pointed out to me years ago how his solos fit the songs perfectly, maybe that's why they don't get noticed.

I'm a metalhead, not a huge Cars fan, but if a Cars song comes on I'll at least listen thru the solo.

Neal Schon, easily the most under-rated of that listing. He gets props for being a guitar prodigy, usually, but sort of disappeared into the "corporate rock" stigma that Journey developed (while making tons of money, of course). But it's his other projects that really reveal how wide his chops really extend. Remember that he was part of Bad English (several hits there) and that it's him playing guitar on the Miami Vice theme (he's got some amazing collaborations with Jan Hammer). And then there are his own New Agey sort of excursions and even a few blues albums (check out Piranha Blues with a couple of other members of Journey) with songs like Whiskey Women & Blues. It's not so much that Neal isn't noticed; just that he's not noticed for just how damned good he really is and how many things he can do.

Elliot Easton from the Cars. Someone pointed out to me years ago how his solos fit the songs perfectly' date=' maybe that's why they don't get noticed.

I'm a metalhead, not a huge Cars fan, but if a Cars song comes on I'll at least listen thru the solo.[/quote']

+1+1+1 the most under rated rock/pop guitar player of that era and even still

Michael and Chris Amott of Arch Enemy. They ****ing rock yet they are pretty much unknown by many metal heads' date=' despite their knowledge of Arch Enemy. A lot of metal fans where I live, don't even know about Arch Enemy![/quote']

Their guitar stuff only impressed me in the first ablum of Arch Enemy. They are pretty good overall but they arent that great.

I'll say that the most underrated guitars are those who perform regionally in small to medium sized venues and never get discovered because they usually aren't in the right place place at the right time with the right people. I know that's a pretty broad statement, but over the years I have seen some very big talent not make it to any spotlights. And it usually wasn't a case of them not trying. It's a shame really.

I'll say that the most underrated guitars are those who perform regionally in small to medium sized venues and never get discovered because they usually aren't in the right place place at the right time with the right people. I know that's a pretty broad statement' date=' but over the years I have seen some very big talent not make it to any spotlights. And it usually wasn't a case of them not trying. It's a shame really.[/quote']

Agreed. There is some amazing talent out there that never gets it's due because the record companies are looking for something that will make them a buck, or the musicians wont sell their soul to sign on with a record label who plans on making sure everyone gets paid but the artist.

As far as recognized names goes:

Piggy (denis D'amour RIP)

Tony McAlpine

Me... Kidding of course =D>/

Gary Holt

This list could go on forever....

Archived