Gibson Brands Forums

Your Most UNDER-Rated Guitarists

DuaLeaD

Brian May - Everyone knows he's good but if you sit down and listen to things like "Procession/Father To Son" or anything off of Queen II or their early records you realize he might be the most talented and able guitarist of his time.

Mick Taylor - Amazing feminine touch. Was there for the Stones best albums. Makes you say "Brian Jones who?"

Mick Ronson - Bowie's guitarist from The Man Who Sold The World through Aladdin Sane. Listen to anything he played on and you will realize how amazing this guy was. He is very technical while still retaining melody, much like Brian May, except with the ability to get real raw and dirty.

Paul McCartney - Not only is he a creative rhythm guitarist but his lead work is surprisingly good. Don't believe me? "Taxman" and "Good Morning" both feature his lead work. Other great examples include his first album McCartney and his second album Ram.

And for who I consider THE most underrated guitarist because he can do anything any other guitarist can do but very few guitarists, if any, can do what he does.

Adrian Belew - He started out playing with Zappa and then got recruited by Bowie, then the Talking Heads, and then became a full member of the 80s King Crimson. He really can do anything, hes just so specifically stylized that its not accessible to many people.

Here he is with the Talking Heads in 1980 doing Born Under Punches. Seeing him in this video changed the way that I play guitar. Unreal stuff. He doesn't need to shred or tap to impress you, he just plays things that don't make sense.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ty Tabor - King's X whole band is killer.

Like all/most highly musical 3 pieces, the guitar players within carry a huge load to fill space tastefully. The great ones stand out and Ty certainly does, and I'd say he's more unnoticed than underrated. Anyone who know his material knows how awesome he is. Unbelievably inventive and unique.

Jeff Beck-i say this becuz i think he's 10x the man Clapton is yet he gets less credit

Bumblefoot-just go listen to his stuff on Chinese Democracy

Derek Trucks-great slide player. go listen to his new solo album.

Jeff Healey-Blind Canadian Blues Guitar Player. WHY ISNT HE MORE FAMOUS!?

Eric Gales-what Hendrix would sound like if he were alive today

Alex Lifeson-guitarist from Rush, amazing chops

Billy Corgan-very different guitar work from other players

Ted Nugent-need i say more?

if you disagree with my choices, its fine, i could see why. but where i live, no one knows who these people are. plus lil wayne is considered music, so yea

1. Shawn Lane- Check out "All Along The Watchtower" and "Not Again" videos on Youtube (RIP Shawn)

2. Chris Broderick- Megadeth guitarist that plays the guitar/piano in more ways than anyone.

3. Jason Becker- Prodigy whose gift was taken before he got started.

4. Cesar Huesca- The Mexican Paul Gilbert (plays Paul's 'Technical Difficulties' with NO Difficulty)

5. Nick Poczynek- Not underrated, Just Unknown for now, but not for long (He's 18 and UNBELIEVABLE)

That's just my opinion I may be wrong.

You can't really be wrong on this thread as it is all about opinion.

I'd mention **** Gaughan, Wilco Johnson, Nuno Bettencourt, Bert Jansch, Seu Jorge, Georges Brassens, Oscar Aleman.

Oh, and Danny Kirwan. Quite a few tracks thought to feature Peter Green on lead were actually D.K.

Agreed. There is some amazing talent out there that never gets it's due because the record companies are looking for something that will make them a buck' date=' or the musicians wont sell their soul to sign on with a record label who plans on making sure everyone gets paid but the artist.[/quote']

+1 to LPDEN and Blackened.

Many moons ago there was a fantastic guitarist and vocalist (George Ross Watt by name) who used to gig regularly in my home town. He had a couple of bands; the best known of which was a three-piece called 'Big George and the Business'. Think a mix of Rory Gallagher, Hendrix and SRV (and this was a few years before SRV came on the scene). They put out afew albums but the studio stuff was very sterile compared to their live act and they just disappeared (as far as I know...)

Jimmy Thackery: slotted as a blues player, but he can play anything, which he does, very well.

Robbie McIntosh: first saw him with the Pretenders, was very disappointed to see him leave to play with Paul McCartney, but he did OK there too.

Peter Haycock: listen to the earlier Climax Blues Band albums, not the later pop stuff.

Chris Duarte: blew me away the first time I saw him. Continues to do so.

James Calvin Wilsey: been playing with Chris Isaak since the start. Very tasty.

Paul Black: check out his work with the Flip Kings. I'll forgive him for his engineer & production work with Jackson Browne.

Kurt Cobain doesn't have to be good. He played punk rock. That's the idea behind it. You don't have to be good, you just have to have good ideas and be able to write. I' d rather listen to that then Robin Trower, who was great but the songs were horrible.

Kurt Cobain doesn't have to be good. He played punk rock. That's the idea behind it. You don't have to be good' date=' you just have to have good ideas and be able to write. I' d rather listen to that then Robin Trower, who was great but the songs were horrible. [/quote']

A Fantastic Grunge musician and he had a great gift for melody.

Johhny A- To me a modern day Chet Atkins approach with touches of Mark Knopfler and Buddy Guy

Antonio Forcione- Acoustic Guitar sheer cheek! He combines virtuosity, humour and mixes styles convincingly

Roy Marchbank- Scottish indie artist. A shredder who writes Celtic melodies and uses clean instead of distortion!!

Paco Pena- Overlooked often in favour of the mighty Paco de Lucia...AWESOME!!

Jeff Healey- One of my favourite blues guitarists-RIP

Randy Rhoads- Again often lumped in with the wrong crowd..Van Halen because they were the same era, Malmsteen because they had an interest in the Baroque period. Randy has the melodic playing of Brian May but with the technique and intelligence to finish the job off! RIP

Matt

I think it's safe to say that any guitar player in a succesfull band is going to be above average. Sure there are some duds out there and anybody can be made to sound good in the studio these days. I remember seeing the movie "The Unheard Music" about the 80s L.A. punk band, X, and being impressed by their guitarist. On the other side, I saw a live clip of Lita Ford the other day on MTV and thought wow, she sucks.

Danny Gatton- possibly the best technical guitarist ever!

Tommy Emmanuel - genius at a range of styles, breathtaking!

Cobain - He wasn't technically amazing but he had a very unique style.

Antonio Forcione - A great accoustic virtuoso..

Archived