Gibson Brands Forums

Your Most UNDER-Rated Guitarists

DuaLeaD

i'd like to say robbie mcintosh and dave peverett

I agree with Robbie McIntosh. He was one of my main influences during his stint with The Pretenders and Paul McCartney. Also, the Thin Lizzy boys (Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson) are horribly underrated. They were one of the few who were able to make the harmony-guitars a trademark sound.

Gary Moore is somewhat unknown in the States too. He doesn't have as much credit as he deserves.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may be either a complete wildcard' date=' or indeed it maybe that he is too obvious, although I never hear anyone on guitar forums etc talk about this guy.

Nils Lofgren

I seen him live and he was amazing, but what do I know O:)[/quote']

Springsteen's Guitarist! Good call.

Matt

• 3 years later...

G.E. Smith

Prince

Robert Fripp

How's that for diverse...

Actually the only reason I say Fripp is when I saw Crimson back in the 80's, my non musician buddy was quoted as saying. "I wasn't impressed with Fripp, He did't do anything".

I was blown away at those comments. He may have sat in the back of the stage with very little light, but he was flying around that fretboard in true Fripp fashion.

What a concert. It was hard to pick who to watch with Fripp, Belew, Levin and Bruford.

All amazing musicians.

Bill Steer- from grindcore to death metal to blues rock to stoner rock to NWOBHM- incredibly versatile and chops to boot.

Ty Tabor- King's X

Scott "Wino" Weinrich- Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, a few others

Gary Jennings- Cathedral

Andy Summers- The Police

Les Paul players or not, who do you feel isn't getting as much credit as they deserve?!

1) Vito Bratta (White Lion): Eddie Van Halen inspired him, but I think he pulls it off even smoother

2) John Norum (Europe): 2nd favorite classical-influenced rocker, next to Randy Rhoads

3) Tom Scholz (Boston): Signature tone from space....it's all been said

4) Neil Schon (Journey): Any song....My vote for best string BENDER ever! Amazing tone.

5) Reb Beech (Winger): "Headed for a Heartbreak" Lead-out & solo

6) Robbie Krieger (The Doors): Dreamy guitar playing trippier than David Gilmour

7) David Gilmour (Pink Floyd): Shattered the notion that a solo had to be fast to be GOOD. So much passion in his playing!!

Steve Marriot, Peter Frampton Humble Pie. I say that because of the guitar solo on Stone Cold Fever! Who played that solo, was it Marriot, or Frampton, or even Clem Clempson? I want to know!!!

Lindsey Buckingham, Jeff Lynne and Iain Bairnson all come to mind when I think of players that inspired me to pick up a Les Paul after years playing a strat. In particular, Iain Bairnson's melodic session playing graces some iconic British popular music from the 70's and 80's, yet few people have ever heard of him.

...One of the most soulful musicians on Earth, and a highly skilled guitar player...

And as if that wasn't enough for any man he also had the incredible good fortune to be Stevie Nicks' other half for a good while.........

P.

And as if that wasn't enough for any man he also had the incredible good fortune to be Stevie Nicks' other half for a good while.........

P.

That's very true! Just like Your expression: "other half". They really belong together. Both are sensitive, intelligent and creative. Cheers... Bence

Archived