Gibson Brands Forums

EMG P90s in a SG Classic Question.

xrunner6

Yeah, but it's still an EMG. Therein lies the problem. The SG Classic represents one of the ballsiest, most underrated tones out there. Consider trying out some other, more authentic and toneful P-90's (Duncans or GFS brand are the best to me) before going with EMGs. You'll get more satisfaction out of a more characteristic sound instead of the sterile EMG sound.

Or, I'll slap some EMGs in this spare Epi I have lying around and just trade you for your Classic, you'll never know the difference after all. :D

H-Bomb

The SG Classic represents one of the ballsiest' date=' most underrated tones out there.[/quote']

He´s absolutely right!

But on the other hand - if it´s reversible. I guess you´ll have to find out for yourself what YOU prefer.

Greetings

Kurt

not always true.... passive pickups suck on metal/hard rock. and if you have an sg' date=' you didnt get it to play blues my friend... you got it to ROCK :- :D/ [/quote']

Passives suck on metal/hard-rock??? Tell that to Corrosion of Conformity, Tony Iommi (and did you know his sig. pickup is ACTUALLY more like a hum-cancelling P-90 than a standard HB?!?!?), Daron from SOAD, Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Monster Magnet, Slash, Joe Perry, Ted Nugent, Ace Frehley, Steve Jones, Johnny Thunders, Mick's Taylor/Ronson, Jimmy Page, Neil Young...need I go on??? I dunno' what you consider "hard-rock" or "metal", but relying on actives is a handicap, not an advantage. Modern cats get away with actives, noise-gates, exciters and processed tones, but the real rockers and the pioneers of metal did it without cheating. Far more impressive to be able to do it and still retain some character instead of making it sound just like this other guy's modded Ibanez RG.

I rock my SG from Heaven to Hell and back and I do just fine with my good ol' AlNiCo 'buckers. :D/

Plus it's bad enough making sure my Blues Driver, 'Muff and tuner have fresh batteries...lol

H-Bomb

Passives suck on metal/hard-rock??? Tell that to Corrosion of Conformity' date=' Tony Iommi (and did you know his sig. pickup is ACTUALLY more like a hum-cancelling P-90 than a standard HB?!?!?), Daron from SOAD, Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Monster Magnet, Slash, Joe Perry, Ted Nugent, Ace Frehley, Steve Jones, Johnny Thunders, Mick's Taylor/Ronson, Jimmy Page, Neil Young...need I go on??? I dunno' what you consider "hard-rock" or "metal", but relying on actives is a handicap, not an advantage. Modern cats get away with actives, noise-gates, exciters and processed tones, but the real rockers and the pioneers of metal did it without cheating. Far more impressive to be able to do it and still retain some character instead of making it sound just like this other guy's modded Ibanez RG.

I rock my SG from Heaven to Hell and back and I do just fine with my good ol' AlNiCo 'buckers. :-({|=/

Plus it's bad enough making sure my Blues Driver, 'Muff and tuner have fresh batteries...lol

H-Bomb[/quote']

hbomb while you make a very good point u must also realize a lot of metal artists like the sound of an emg...i mean look at metallica, they use EMGs and they tone isnt bland at all...well on their early records anyway and ZAKK WYLDE uses emgs and he has loads of heavy metal tone and i know what you mean a lot of metal guitarists sounds are processed...like that *** Jim Fruit (Root) from Slapnuts (Slipknot) he is part of the shittiest band ever and sadly he uses EMGs...but really u have to remember it is what the player likes best and while some like passives others like actives and some like me like both...my two favorite pickups are the p-90 and the emg-81 and if i had to pick between the 2 my heart would prolly give out it would be so nerve racking

hbomb while you make a very good point u must also realize a lot of metal artists like the sound of an emg...i mean look at metallica' date=' they use EMGs and they tone isnt bland at all...well on their early records anyway and ZAKK WYLDE uses emgs and he has loads of heavy metal tone and i know what you mean a lot of metal guitarists sounds are processed...like that *** Jim Fruit (Root) from Slapnuts (Slipknot) he is part of the shittiest band ever and sadly he uses EMGs...but really u have to remember it is what the player likes best and while some like passives others like actives and some like me like both...my two favorite pickups are the p-90 and the emg-81 and if i had to pick between the 2 my heart would prolly give out it would be so nerve racking[/quote']

See, this is where I'm old-school. Most of my peers and people younger get their kicks on Mecrappica, Slakk Wylde, Sh!tknot and a lot of other "heavy" music that to me sounds like processed farts. Actually the ONLY guy in Mecrappica I thought had ANY tone-sense about his instrument was Cliff (RIP). The drum sounds SUCK, the guitars grate me like cats doing it and the overall mix still sucks to this day. I won't even go into how cheesy Wylde's tone is (he ain't got sh!t on Randy!!!), and I don't really technically acknowledge groups like Sh!tknot, Linkin Park and Korn as "bands", because they're so hard to listen to. I just don't hear any "tone" with a lot of the EMG-users out there. Yeah, I hear notes, and I hear sounds, but I don't hear any real tone. Nothing that sings to me. It's no different to me than the background music on old NES games. If you can acheive a true ballsy tone (and I'm not talking about turning the gain to 11, scooping your mids and overpowering the drummer with sheer volume, that's the point) then more power to ya'. It's just been MY experience that I've never met an EMG that I liked, and never played a guitar with them that didn't sound just like any other piece of wood with them in it. I can recognize an EMG no matter what guitar they're in, what amp you use or what you mix 'em like. I can also hear a Tele in any mix (but that's a GOOD distinction). There's just some characteristic chirp and nasally high-end that always gives them (EMG's) away, and I can't dig 'em.

Not that I'm saying someone shouldn't try things out, I actually recorded half my latest batch of songs with a live amp and the other half with a Line 6 interface, and with a little tweaking I was able to get sounds that'll fool anyone. And trust me, going in I was absolutely anti-Line-6 crap (still hate their amps, sorry), but with the right stuff going into it and a good set of ears it can be useful I've found. I just wouldn't go f***ing up a sonically awesome guitar with EMG's. Put 'em in an Epi or something (it'll sound the same with upgraded pots, seriously), and save that Classic for when you tire of the same sound everyone else in "heavy" (lol) music has. There's something to be said for sticking out from the herd a little, after all. I get complimented on my live tone all the time. The secret? Cranked mids, less-gain/more natural volume-breakup. Instant rock-god tone. :-#

H-Bomb

I have a 99 SG supreme with p 90s. Like an ***,I replaced the bridge pup with a dimarzio p90 sized super distortion. It had more output but that was the only plus. I realized my folly quickly. And I couldnt live with myself after bastardizing such a fine guitar. I put the p90 back, got my tone back,and I aint looked back

I think you could equip a piece of plywood with EMG pickups and sound just like... every other guitar player using EMG's.

But seriously, with the ridiculous amounts of saturation available from most modern high gain tube amps (Krank, Mesa, etc.,) even the humble P90 is quite capable of meltin' your face.

I completely agree that an EMG pick-up takes all the life out of the guitar... if you have a guitar of any type with EMG's in it, it sounds like an EMG pick-up. Some are a little bass-ier, but that's about the only change I've really heard.

Korn didn't start out using active p/u... That's probably the only band that I will defend that's been mentioned, oh and by the way, yeah I said it: BAND =D> . Their new stuff is very processed, but the first two albums were great for raw annoying original tone... What's more analog than taking a smokey amp and putting it into a drawer with a bunch of nails and tacks to get a tone? I can't stand some mixes, but I can appreciate some one trying something different.

If you ever have a choice, and can appreciate an instrument for what its has always been - made from nature - then you will very quickly realize that EMG removes all of that, and makes a guitar made of plastic sound freaking great - for plastic that is.

See' date=' this is where I'm old-school. Most of my peers and people younger get their kicks on Mecrappica, Slakk Wylde, Sh!tknot and a lot of other "heavy" music that to me sounds like processed farts. Actually the ONLY guy in Mecrappica I thought had ANY tone-sense about his instrument was Cliff (RIP). The drum sounds SUCK, the guitars grate me like cats doing it and the overall mix still sucks to this day. I won't even go into how cheesy Wylde's tone is (he ain't got sh!t on Randy!!!), and I don't really technically acknowledge groups like Sh!tknot, Linkin Park and Korn as "bands", because they're so hard to listen to. I just don't hear any "tone" with a lot of the EMG-users out there. Yeah, I hear notes, and I hear sounds, but I don't hear any real tone. Nothing that sings to me. It's no different to me than the background music on old NES games. If you can acheive a true ballsy tone (and I'm not talking about turning the gain to 11, scooping your mids and overpowering the drummer with sheer volume, that's the point) then more power to ya'. It's just been MY experience that I've never met an EMG that I liked, and never played a guitar with them that didn't sound just like any other piece of wood with them in it. I can recognize an EMG no matter what guitar they're in, what amp you use or what you mix 'em like. I can also hear a Tele in any mix (but that's a GOOD distinction). There's just some characteristic chirp and nasally high-end that always gives them (EMG's) away, and I can't dig 'em.

Not that I'm saying someone shouldn't try things out, I actually recorded half my latest batch of songs with a live amp and the other half with a Line 6 interface, and with a little tweaking I was able to get sounds that'll fool anyone. And trust me, going in I was absolutely anti-Line-6 crap (still hate their amps, sorry), but with the right stuff going into it and a good set of ears it can be useful I've found. I just wouldn't go f***ing up a sonically awesome guitar with EMG's. Put 'em in an Epi or something (it'll sound the same with upgraded pots, seriously), and save that Classic for when you tire of the same sound everyone else in "heavy" (lol) music has. There's something to be said for sticking out from the herd a little, after all. I get complimented on my live tone all the time. The secret? Cranked mids, less-gain/more natural volume-breakup. Instant rock-god tone. =P~

H-Bomb[/quote']

okay i understand what your saying and again i agree with you on some things...like yes cliff was the only one in metallica who ever had any talent ...that is obvious...it is also obvious that zakk aint got **** on randy...but then again no one else could play better than him anyway, AND most importantly slipknot, korn, limp bizkit, linkin park and all the other nu/rap/poser metal bands need to be killed immediately...especially slipknot those mask loving soap dropping butt raping faggots...but once again i still think it comes down to what the player thinks...people have different tastes

See' date=' this is where I'm old-school. Most of my peers and people younger get their kicks on Mecrappica, Slakk Wylde, Sh!tknot and a lot of other "heavy" music that to me sounds like processed farts. Actually the ONLY guy in Mecrappica I thought had ANY tone-sense about his instrument was Cliff (RIP). The drum sounds SUCK, the guitars grate me like cats doing it and the overall mix still sucks to this day. I won't even go into how cheesy Wylde's tone is (he ain't got sh!t on Randy!!!), and I don't really technically acknowledge groups like Sh!tknot, Linkin Park and Korn as "bands", because they're so hard to listen to. I just don't hear any "tone" with a lot of the EMG-users out there. Yeah, I hear notes, and I hear sounds, but I don't hear any real tone. Nothing that sings to me. It's no different to me than the background music on old NES games.

H-Bomb[/quote']

I LAUHED when I read that! Well said hbomb, well said. I agree, Mr. Wylde has a cheezzzy tone. Haha!

Archived