Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Standard - Fishman Aura Pickup fixation

schnuro

I received my new Songwriter Deluxe Standard yesterday. =P~/ Very nicely made guitar and a fantastic full sound.

Unfortunately my joy was sligthly reduced when the Fishman Aura Electronics separated themselves from the top of the guitar after about half a day without even being touched. It seems that Gibson only attached it with a some very small two sided sticky tape. Some saw dust probably got onto the tape as part of the production process and, therefore, it did not hold as well as it should.

Anyway, attaching it only with a bit of sticky tape is an unbelievably cheap solution for a guitar of this price. Especially as the Fishman Aura also has an USB port and, therefore, would have to be able to resist a certain pressure and wear.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking that a better way would be to glue the electronics onto the inside of the guitar top. Any experiences or specific glue that should be used?

I received my new Songwriter Deluxe Standard yesterday. :D/ Very nicely made guitar and a fantastic full sound.

Unfortunately my joy was sligthly reduced when the Fishman Aura Electronics separated themselves from the top of the guitar after about half a day without even being touched. It seems that Gibson only attached it with a some very small two sided sticky tape. Some saw dust probably got onto the tape as part of the production process and' date=' therefore, it did not hold as well as it should.

Anyway, attaching it only with a bit of sticky tape is an unbelievably cheap solution for a guitar of this price. Especially as the Fishman Aura also has an USB port and, therefore, would have to be able to resist a certain pressure and wear.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking that a better way would be to glue the electronics onto the inside of the guitar top. Any experiences or specific glue that should be used?[/quote']

I don't have the Aura on my Songwriter, but the double-side tape is the standard method of attaching the unit to the underside of the soundhole. I know my iBeam's are attached to the bridgeplates of two of my acoustics with the tape. It allows for easy removal without damage to the guitar at a future date. I would not recommend gluing this unit to your guitar. If the tape has lost its adhesive quality, peel it off the unit and replace it with more double-sided tape (easily purchased), make sure the location under the top is smooth and clean and use firm pressure to attach it again while supporting the top.

Especially as the Fishman Aura also has an USB port...

Sorry to hear you are having such a problem with a brand new instrument. Haven't ever experienced this myself, so I can't help...

But why in the name of god does the Fishman Aura have a USB port? So the owner can download new firmware upgrades in the future?

But why in the name of god does the Fishman Aura have a USB port? So the owner can download new firmware upgrades in the future?

The most important reason is so that you can download new Aura images. E.g., if you send your guitar to Fishman to have them make an image, you need some way to get it on there to use.

-- Bob R

The most important reason is so that you can download new Aura images. E.g.' date=' if you send your guitar to Fishman to have them make an image, you need some way to get it on there to use.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Interesting and thanks for clarifying, Bob.

When I had my SJ200 Modern Classic fitted with a custom LR Baggs unit (iBeam/iMix dual feed) the tech commented on the same thing about the cheap 2-sided tape. He replaced the mounts with industrial-strenght hook-and-loop mounts and added spots of Gorilla Glue to the corners. Very securely mounted now and I have to give it quite a tug to get to the battery pouch. Good stuff. You would think Gibson would be a little more attentive and meticulous when it comes to the quality of their constructive materials on a four-thousand dollar instrument.

Archived