Gibson Brands Forums

Concerns purchasing J-200 (1970-1972)

Angus_Young

I'm considering purchasing this J-200 which I believe is a 1970 - 1972. Serial number engraved with Made In USA on headstock is No. 727894. 

See pics here: https://www.pinterest.com/AngusYoung555/j200/

Played it yesterday and I think it sounds good but a few small details seem off.  First, the back of the guitar has two inlaid marquetry strips instead of one. In my research, every single J-200 only has one running down center of the guitar. Second, the neck seems to be two pieces of wood, is this normal? Also, the joints at the base of the neck and on the back of the guitar is a slightly off - it doesn't line up so that it's perfectly smooth. I understand these guitars had issues with the necks and but is this something I though be concerned about? Third, should the serial number start with the letter S?

See here: http://archive.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonAcoustics.pdf

Overall, the guitar looks to be in good shape still and does not look like it was heavily used and stored properly. 

Any thoughts about these issues? I don't think it's fake but the double marquetry strips especially is odd. 

Thanks in advance. 

4.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Angus_Young
Better description

I would wonder if the "S" designates Second.   I believe the guitar should have a five piece neck.  Regarding to what you refer to as "stickers",   I have never seen any J200 with two inlaid marquetry strips on the back.   Just being  curious but does the guitar still have a "Fuller Bar" with the thumb screw holding it in place. These cross bars were still being installed in 1970 but I am not sure how long they were in use.   In an era of bad design decisions this gizmo  has got to be one of the worst.   Fortunately they are easily removed.   Hopefully though somebody with more experience than I with 1970s Gibsons will chime in.

Edited by zombywoof

Hmm, I dunno...

I've never seen a J200 with a bridge like that.  Hard to look too closely at your photos tho.  but it all seems a bit off to me. 

it would be far better if you just posted photos here instead of link we have to login to something with.

38 minutes ago, kidblast said:

, I dunno...

I've never seen a J200 with a bridge like that.  Hard to look too closely at your photos tho.  but it all seems a bit off to me. 

it would be far better if you just posted photos here instead of link we have to login to something with.

I am pretty sure that the Dove bridge  starts showing up on J200s in 1972 so is legit.  

Edited by zombywoof

Ah, yes the “Heritage” bridge.  Thanks for posting photos here on the forum,  much easier that way.  Not too familiar with that area either,  by choice. . .  do most of the guitars from that era have the French heel at the neck join like that? Nice maple flame on it, though.  The dual marquetry strips are a first for me; does that mean there is a reinforcing strip inside the guitar under those places? If so, would that not mean it has a four piece back (not that there’s anything wrong with that)

4 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Ah, yes the “Heritage” bridge.  Thanks for posting photos here on the forum,  much easier that way.  Not too familiar with that area either,  by choice. . .  do most of the guitars from that era have the French heel at the neck join like that? Nice maple flame on it, though.  The dual marquetry strips are a first for me; does that mean there is a reinforcing strip inside the guitar under those places? If so, would that not mean it has a four piece back (not that there’s anything wrong with that)

Yeah, but those strip do NOT separate different pieces of wood, if you look at the grain.  It looks like a two-piece bookmatched back with two marquetry strips in the middle of the two sides. Very strange. I'd like to see a shot of the back bracing from the inside. And that heel bothers me too. 

OK, now I’m starting to wonder,  as well.   Maybe it’s time to get a look at the soundhole label, and the Gibson logo on the headstock. Does the binding around the headstock look a little thick, and the tuners flatter/wider? How about the truss rod cover- looks a little angular in outline.

This is a strange one,  the bridge wasn't the only thing that I didn't quite get.  (the heel was another spot that I wasn't quite convinced with)

My buddy has the oldest J200 I've seen I think he's got 74 or 75..    From what I recall, It really doesn't look much different from today's models.

Largely a standard early '70s J200 with a few quirks. As always with Gibson, in the early '70s specs were all over the place. If it was a second, it would be stamped with a "2". The S likely denotes a special order, hence the French heel and unusual marquetry.

I've seen the multi-piece backs on this era of J200 previously, such as this one: https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/1223-gibson-j-200-1969-cherry-sunburst . The joint alignment you mentioned is the binding join at the heel that is slightly out, the centre seam of the back and the heel seem to line up well. 

I think it's a beauty. Grant Nicholas (former Feeder frontman and solo artist) has an almost identical one which he bought in a pawn shop on a US tour back in the '90s. I sat in on a jam with him a few years ago and it sounded absolutely gorgeous. Just warm and balanced and perfect. He said that every hit song he'd ever written had been penned with that J200 in his lap.

If you like this one, go for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Here's the actual auction going off this afternoon. I'm going to hold off but learned a bunch here. Thanks all!

https://tomhallauctions.hibid.com/lot/55651707/gibson-guitar-j-200-and-case

Ya  those are a can of worms  .  I should of said 4 piece back  .  Double x braced    .  And they are thin X braces    

I had a basket case example,  I removed all pieces   . Learned alot from it  

• Upvote 1