Gibson Brands Forums

I love Japanese guitars

Navy Vet.

HOIT! 

I have a Yari,  From when Yari was making Yair's..  got his signature on the label..  It's a D28 clone..  and it's awesome.

one of the best Stratocasters I EVER had, was a early 80s Japan made Strat..  I am STILL kicking myself in the *** for selling it...

The Japanese Jazzmasters and Jaguars were as close as you could get to the real deal without dropping the serious money on a US made reissue.

They rattled and buzzed just like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar should. The Mexican made ones are nice, too, but they fixed the problems, and lost some of the character in the process.

For my generation, from my area of white trash America, Japanese guitars were, and always will be, copies.  They only made American company guitars in Japan and then other areas in the orient  in order to knock the bottom out of the copy market over there, and no other reason.  So it's a no for me.

rct

9 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

I have never had any chance to really play or try out a Japanese guitar except Takamine.  How do they compare to the brands listed here?

As with most overseas products, the higher quality guitars are made in Japan and the more affordable models are made wherever. I've had a couple Takamine's and they were very good guitars.  They also make a killer Nashville series that rival the vintage Martins. I also had a Japan made Gretsch double neck that was great. Currently I have Japanese made Takamine TB10, Gretsch Chet Atkins Roundup  and a '60's Teisco Swinger.

• Like 1

I have been trying to find a 62 Wilshire USA Reissue built in the US in 2009 for a while now. They originally sold for about $1200, now used they are going for $1700 and up. They seem to have been mostly available in Japan.

Wilshir62USA_Thumb.jpg

Currently the made in Japan Tamio Okuda Elitist Coronet's, like the one below, are selling used for over $1500 in Japan.

TOkudaCoronet_Thumb.jpg

I had different variations of both of these in the 60's and 70's, I would love to have either one of these double P90 types....

Edited by mihcmac
  • Upvote 1