Gibson Brands Forums

what's your next song?

uncle fester

just Friday conversation, what are you tackling right now, what's the next song you're thinking of tackling.  A cover, an original?

• I got two on deck: Gimme one reason - Tracy Chapman.  For what it's worth - Buffalo Springfield (with a looper).
  • Two in process: Soul of a man - Blind Willie Johnson, This quirky look - me.

...and if I play my cards right, below is a picture of my Friday night plans and where I hope to be doing my 'study sessions' 🙂

KEu6NQx.jpg?2

15 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Ian Tyson's "Red Velvet"....with its key change in the middle.

Nice, as a solo performance - or do you have plans to do with multiple people? Listening to it sounds like there's room enough for several guitars... or maybe your one of those guys who seem liket they have 10 fingers on each hand!

This would require thinking a bit ahead which is not one of my strong points.    Generally with me it is some song that for whatever reason is stuck on my head.  The latest is "Electric Chair Blues."  Probably will end up being a mish mash of Bessie Smith and David Bromberg's versions.

In a grand co-writing experiment (which is more fun than the law allows) with the guy that recorded and produced my CD project a couple of years ago. Going thru our toolboxes at our first working session, we shared odds and ends we both had laying around. On my way home, one of his lines rattled around in my head, and by the time I made it home, a verse had been born:

“I wrote a blank check for your love 

when your eyes first met mine

They say you can’t buy happiness

but I could go broke tryin’”

We met a couple of times since and eased out most of the rest—we’re 95% there, I think.  As I said, it’s a fine experiment, so we plan to continue.

And that’s what I’m doing these days.🤓

Ive not gigged for about 6 months. Lost motivation. But then i pickedup one day my J-150 and started playing with my Harmoniser and core parts of a song came out. Vers, pre, chorus, chords, rhythm. So Im now aiming to finish it on garagaband and put other instrucments around it. Its first song I actually quite liked what i wrote. Wil share when ready.

10 minutes ago, EuroAussie said:

Ive not gigged for about 6 months. Lost motivation. But then i pickedup one day my J-150 and started playing with my Harmoniser and core parts of a song came out. Vers, pre, chorus, chords, rhythm. So Im now aiming to finish it on garagaband and put other instrucments around it. Its first song I actually quite liked what i wrote. Wil share when ready.

Welcome back to performing, Mark. You've got a lot of talent.

9 hours ago, AnneS said:

In a grand co-writing experiment (which is more fun than the law allows) with the guy that recorded and produced my CD project a couple of years ago. Going thru our toolboxes at our first working session, we shared odds and ends we both had laying around. On my way home, one of his lines rattled around in my head, and by the time I made it home, a verse had been born:

“I wrote a blank check for your love 

when your eyes first met mine

They say you can’t buy happiness

but I could go broke tryin’”

We met a couple of times since and eased out most of the rest—we’re 95% there, I think.  As I said, it’s a fine experiment, so we plan to continue.

And that’s what I’m doing these days.🤓

Good for you Anne. Can’t wait to hear it!

In the midst of writer's block so I'm going back through my stuff to see what needs re-writing. Many of my songs have lines or verses that could benefit from tweaking or improvement or editing. I've gone over quite a few and I like the changes I've made.

I find that when I'm gigging, I tend to write more. It's kind of a creative cycle. We've been in Nicosia for about six weeks and I'm discovering that we may have landed in one of the few countries with fewer opportunities to gig than Kuwait. I'm going to talk to a booker at a artsy coffeehouse Monday night, so hopefully that'll lead to something. Otherwise, a writing group has an open mic next month and if I get selected to play (I think they're missing the concept of "open mic"...) then I'll get five whole minutes to wow 'em....

Archived