Gibson Brands Forums

Review: Gibson Acoustic Guitar Strings (2019)

Leonard McCoy

As to why Gibson decided to once more replace and streamline their entire string line-up is anyone's guess. For what it's worth, their previous lineup, while not inexpensive for uncoated strings, had some of the finest, most diverse strings on the entire market for both (Gibson) acoustic and electric guitars.

ki2FGvI.png

I'll be comparing the new Acoustic Guitar Strings (light, .012) to their previous J-200 Phosphor Bronze Wound strings (light, .012) which is what I've been using on my J-180. Coated v. uncoated so to speak.

First impressions

Price: Not cheap if you buy it for the MSRP of USD 12.99, which should be in line with the price of other coated strings on the market, though. I actually got them for 10 bucks which is about as expensive as my usual Gibson J-200 phosphor bronze strings, which themselves ain't cheap for uncoated strings.

Packaging: You get a half-open paper satchel that, though it feels nice to the touch due to some print coating, simply holds a transparent plastic bag containing the strings paired in twos, as opposed to, previously, a vacuum-sealed foil bag with each string also wrapped inside a paper cover.  Perhaps coated strings need not be vacuum-sealed quite as much as uncoated strings but I don't like it since the treble strings are uncoated and thus may require some additional protection from oxidation.

Appointments & material:  You get ball ends alternating between brass and nickel ends so as to avoid confusion as to which string goes where. No silked-wrapped or color-coded ball ends. I don't like it. Same diameter as their previous strings (12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 53). They don't feel overly coated (rubbery) to the touch when fingerpicking which is a plus in my books but when sliding, for instance in solos, you will notice the rubbery resistance.

Sound & feel: As with coated strings in general, they break in faster than uncoated phosphor bronze strings and, once stretched, hardly detune. As to the long-term use, we will see. They sound loud, balanced, overall fine.

Final verdict: Would I restring them? Perhaps not. I don't get the barebones appointments and packaging given the price tag. Also, their previous strings were so good and long lasting for uncoated strings. I hope they introduce more diversity into their lineup also because coated strings aren't always the desired choice for acoustic players.

TL;DR I want my J-200 strings back.

White-Pearl-Picks,-12-Pack-0-256-256.png

In other news, Gibson's new celluloid premium guitar picks are excellent.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Upvote 1

Recently I put Masterbuilt PB lights on to remind myself how they sounded after some time experimenting with other makes and I really like them on my J-45. And now they're done away with! I'm sure a lot of thought goes into  making these decisions but it 's hard to figure out what was wrong with  the old make. I guess I'll have to compare and hope that I like the new ones better.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

I like the old have not tried any on the new strings, but I will just hope I like them as well.  Just curious Jinder, what strings do you like?  Acoustic.

I use D'Addario EXPs on 99% of my guitars, they're fabulous strings in my opinion... they last for ages and sound superb throughout the wear cycle. For brighter guitars that need to be mellowed down a little I use Martin Lifespans as they sound darker and warmer to my ears. 

In general I use 12s but my Maple AJ responds well to 13s, so I usually use the heavier option. It's set up in a really sweet spot which allows me to use either gauge without buzzing or excessive action. 

For my Hummingbird 12 string I use Martin Lifespan 10s tuned down half a step, which sound huge and lush. Absolutely love those strings on that guitar!

After-a-couple-o'-days

They settled in within minutes if you pre-stretch them. I don't think they are any worse than D'Addario's top-of-the-line EXP strings or Elixier's. As to their tone, neither too bright nor too much on the mellow side, whereas the D'Addario EXP ones I would count as being more on mellow side.

All in all, the new Gibson acoustic strings are some fine coated strings. My next follow-up will be the long-term review.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

I've had several problems with Gibson's now previous iterations of strings this past year. Perhaps I bought old stock or something. I've had 3 sets with a bad string. Two came with new guitars and one set purchased this past Summer. I welcome a change. I tried a set of the Martin Lifespans on my SJ and could not get them off the guitar fast enough. I landed on a set of D'Adds in the brown pack that I really like on the SJ. Nickel Bronze, IIRC. It's only been a few weeks, though. TBD

I used to use them on my electrics for years and never had an issue. I had one bad there, too.

Thanks for the review. It is very comprehensive and useful. I've not wavered from preferring Elixir Nano HD Lights on my J200 and my Martin 00028vs and standard Elixir Nano 12 string on the Hummingbird. I could be convinced otherwise, but nothing has proven better for my acidic fingers so far.

On 9/15/2019 at 3:52 PM, olie said:

Recently I put Masterbuilt PB lights on to remind myself how they sounded after some time experimenting with other makes and I really like them on my J-45. And now they're done away with! I'm sure a lot of thought goes into  making these decisions but it 's hard to figure out what was wrong with  the old make. I guess I'll have to compare and hope that I like the new ones better.

The old masterbuilts sounded great but died wasy too fast.  One week and the bass strings sounded like spaghetti 

12 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

The old masterbuilts sounded great but died wasy too fast.  One week and the bass strings sounded like spaghetti 

I've had Masterbuilt PB lights on for nearly 2 months now and play 2-3 hours/day and they still sound very good on a J-45. My go-to strings, ordinarily would be D'Addario EJ 16s and these strings sound similar to my tinitus afflicted ears. Don't know how strings react to your hands, EuroAussie, but mine are dry and strings usually last a good while for me. As has been stated by others; this is a great time for buying guitars and strings - I wish they had been this good back in the 60's when I started out!

• 3 weeks later...