Gibson Brands Forums

SG standard vs 61 Reissue

EvoRider

In the past I have had both I personally like the older models better but it is so hard to find a 61 Reissue in Black...  the only models I have owned was a 06 standard and a 06 or  07 Reissue can’t remember... My question is one any better than the other? I figured better sounds from the 61 because it has a little more wood in the body.... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tracer said:

In the past I have had both I personally like the older models better but it is so hard to find a 61 Reissue in Black...  the only models I have owned was a 06 standard and a 06 or  07 Reissue can’t remember... My question is one any better than the other? I figured better sounds from the 61 because it has a little more wood in the body.... 

Actually, all the regular issue '61 Reissues probably have less wood than the same year Standards.   Other than the '61 RI having the slightly larger headstock, the Standards have a thicker neck, beefed up neck tenon, and shallow cut bevels, all of which carry more wood.  Either way, the difference in the amount of wood is minimal.  '61 RI does have a one piece body, so I guess in that sense it doesn't have the line of glue that the Standards would have in theirs. 😉 

I think any sound differences I hear comes from the different "shapes" and construction of the aforementioned part changes between the two models, not to mention pickups.  I do know, to me anyways, that RIs, have more resonance and are louder when not jacked up to an amp.  I personally think it's the one piece bodies, and thin necks that make this difference, as I've also noticed this withother models that are built similarly (Originals, and some 2015s)  but that's just opinion and you know what everyone says about that! grin.gif

Now after saying all that.   I love them both!  Of all my SG, my two favorite and played the most are a pair of 2005s.  Ones a Standard, and ones a '61 RI.  Sometimes I think one is better than the other.  I always lean towards the '61 RI, but every time I start to think this is the one, my old '05 Standard comes through and sets me strait.   I do like the looks of that '61 more, but that's all I can say that is actually "better", the two are just different.

just get both! 😉 

2005-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Same Guy said:

I've got a 2013 Ebony Standard, which  from what I understand is pretty close to the '61 Reissue.

In any event, it's a fantastic SG.

94G44C9.jpg

The 2013 SG Standards and Originals are awesome SGs.  Absolutely one of my favorites!

Other than the smaller headstock and crown placement of the Standard, they are a clone of the previous years '61 RI. (Not withstand the ABR-1 bridge used from 1992 to mid year 2003) 😉 

Edited by arcticsg

1 hour ago, Same Guy said:

I've got a 2013 Ebony Standard, which  from what I understand is pretty close to the '61 Reissue.

In any event, it's a fantastic SG.

94G44C9.jpg

I am looking at a cherry 2014 mini etune Anniversary  that looks like yours... btw your  is beautiful 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, arcticsg said:

The 2013 SG Standards and Originals are awesome SGs.  Absolutely one of my favorites!

Other than the smaller headstock and crown placement of the Standard, they are a clone of the previous years '61 RI. (Not withstand the ABR-1 bridge used from 1992 to mid year 2003) 😉 

That's what I hear about the 2013 Standards as well - pretty much exactly like the previous year's '61 RI (other than the smaller headstock, etc. that you mentioned).

And yes, this 2013 Standard is just a fantastic SG.

• Upvote 1

I've seen some 2012 61RIs in black but mate, they dont look that much appealing to me than the regular ebony glossy, prefer the latter

i have a cherry red 2012 61RI in mate, i love it cuz it weight almost nothing, the neck is super thin and it rocks...BUT, i also have a 2016 standard with P90s and that thing can growl! i play the 61RI more often due to the neck thing, like articsg mentioned, the standards have fuller neck profiles

• Thanks 1

Not all batwing Standards have the bigger rounded neck. Some have slim taper's of various types. My 2012 Standard 60-GC has a 60's style slim taper. This one is dubbed Honeyburst but there is no burst about it. It's a uniform honey amber. It also sports a one piece body.

70941217-10157588383644785-3509987715426

Edited by SGgypsyboy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, curnla said:

One you get a hard case. The Standard comes with a gig back. One isn't better than the other. Try both and see which one feels better to play.

$1500+ tax for an SG Standard and you do not get a hard shell case......that is just sooo wrong !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BENNY Z said:

$1500+ tax for an SG Standard and you do not get a hard shell case......that is just sooo wrong !

Some people would call it a crime. There is a bit of a difference between a gig bag and a "soft shell case" which Gibson says comes with this Standard, but it's still just wrong!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...