Gibson Brands Forums

Well, this'll be a project and a half. Help me get started.

I received an old Gibson 12 string from a buddy of mine. I don't think I've ever seen such a gnarly piece in my life but since I'm addicted to Gibsons...I thought why not. This thing has case hair stuck to it like flesh. Jeez! Honestly, I can't even tell what the finish is on this thing. The maroon "paint" is so thick that I cannot make out the serial number so I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I believe it's a B45-12 but the tear drop pick guard is a bit misleading. Any help identifying this would be appreciated.

So, in order to restore this I would obviously have the bridge fixed but I would like to start with cleaning the thing. What would y'all recommend in order to bring this monster back to life?

Prepare yourself

Thanks!

On 9/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, kidblast said:

good luck man,  that one for sure is a bit of a train wreck!

I hear ya but I would like to try to get this restored. Luthier friend said the bridge obviously will have to be replaced and I'm good with that. However, I'd like some advice on how to start on the finish. What would you do to clean this?

38 minutes ago, Flare4roach said:

I hear ya but I would like to try to get this restored. Luthier friend said the bridge obviously will have to be replaced and I'm good with that. However, I'd like some advice on how to start on the finish. What would you do to clean this?

No idea really, beyond just removing the surface layers of gunk / dust .etc.  Beyond that, this is beyond the scope of my meager restorative skills.