Gibson Brands Forums

J45 finish marked

spottydog10

I bought a new J45 Studio antique natural a couple of months ago and the finish on the neck appears to have bubbled after 2 or 3 weeks.
I have had a G7 capo on the neck but I am very careful with my guitars and the G7 capo is very soft where it comes into contact with the back of the neck.
I've had the same capo on my Martin for months on end without a scratch.
Can the guitar finish have reacted to the capo do you think?
Cheers, Mike.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TpAGpFil1pKSZg0S2g5OiGjboC6f00Vy

Edited by spottydog10
edit

19 minutes ago, blindboygrunt said:

I've had capos on every guitar for months at a time and never had an issue ever 

Sorry to see your new guitar with a mark on it 

Could it be new guitars are more susceptible due to the lacquer maybe not totally cured yet or something ?

I think you're correct grunt.  takes nitro a while to cure.  and I use capos like crazy, my SJ200 hasn't had any problems.

question: Did you leave the capo on for an extended period?  That would likely lead to this kind of finish damage.   I never leave a capo on the neck, not ever.

And, Gibson would not be liable for finish issues, in fact IIRC it's excluded in their warranty.  You're problem is with the maker of the capo IMHO. 

you may be able to buff it smooth again,  look at Eternashine "Players Kit"  (google that)...  good scratch remover, not sure how it would work for this.

Edited by kidblast

Nitro take months to cure fully but that's good news for you. A good luthier should be able to buff it out.

This should be a good leason for everyone who is purchasing a new nitro finished guitar (this includes Martin)

Never leave a capo on or leave it in a stand for extended periods of time for at least 2 or three months.

I've had some nitro reaction to stuff like capo rubbers, guitar stands, straps, allsorts...my guitars are hardworking instruments though and all wear their scars and the miles with pride. I figured long ago that I could either let dings and scratches be what they are or let them drive me nuts...I chose the former!

It DOES look like an indentation LM, it definitely wasn't there when I bought it and I don't remember knocking it in any way.
It has to be the finish reacting to the capo or guitar stand surely? Saying that, you can feel the mark with your thumb when you play.

Edited by spottydog10
edit

++ What Jinder said.  Looks like Capo mojo.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:15 PM, philfish said:

Two John Hiatt songs,  Walk On, and Crossing Muddy Waters

J45TV    Epi AJ28

On 9/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jinder said:

I've had some nitro reaction to stuff like capo rubbers, guitar stands, straps, allsorts...my guitars are hardworking instruments though and all wear their scars and the miles with pride. I figured long ago that I could either let dings and scratches be what they are or let them drive me nuts...I chose the former!

• Upvote 1