Gibson Brands Forums

Please help me pick—l1 or nick Lucas vintage 12 fret

ndavis1971

Because of so many great replies on finding a great vintage fingerstyle blues guitar that has 12 frets, and given I have a 36 14 fret l00, I am wondering what you think would be the way to go. I’ve narrowed it down to a 1929 L1 (6500) in all original and excellent condition. Seems a little steep on price. Then there is a 1927 peanut (or l1 shaped body) Nick Lucas with 12 frets. This was before the size grew an inch to match the size of an l00 and before the crazy expensive 13 fret rosewood models that followed. Both the l1 and nick Lucas have A bracing. The nick Lucas is close to 10k with a repaired top crack about an inch under the G string and a reglued brace from a Gibson of same era. I want that old school blues sound with less sustain or harmonica than say a Martin 00-21. Would love to hear from the forum to help me decide. Thanks in advance

Again, there is absolutely nothing about either guitar that makes them a "great fingerstyle blues guitar."  Then again, there is absolutely nothing about them that makes them a bad choice.   

I would have expected the earlier Nick Lucas to be  "H" braced and the lL1 to be  "A" braced.    I have played more than a few "A" braced versions and recall the guitars being  loud and responsive and even  fairly bright sounding.   Great strummers which would explain why Maybelle Carter played an L1  before going with the archtop.

So I guess, without playing either of the two guitars in question. I would think you could not go wrong with either.  What I would think you would have to decide is are the differences between the deep body Nick Lucas and L1 enough to warrant laying out more than double (based on the price tags I have run across) the money.

Edited by zombywoof