Gibson Brands Forums

2019 The Year of Gibson

Navy Vet.

Just an opinion here. I have purchased 3 new Gibson's this year A Les Paul Jr Original Collection as well as a SG-Special Sparkling Burgundy  and a Les Paul Studio Tangerine Burst as a gift. Each guitar is close to perfect. Fit, finish and tone is impeccable and the prices are decent. Gibson has gone back to their roots and they are having a banner year.  Gibson is back!

• Like 1

Just now, kidblast said:

you're on a roll!  It seems to me, aside from a few glaring duds that we've seen talked about here, that there is a resurgence of goodness happening.  Of course you can never rule out the opinion of folks who are very hard to please...

Well there are folks who are only happy when they have something to complain about.

A good year? I hope so. I too have bought 2 new Gibsons this year - an HP LP and a Firebird and both are superb instruments so I have to agree, Gibson seem to have their mojo back. That being said, I also own a 2015 LP that everyone and their dog seemed to take pleasure in pissing and moaning about and that too is also excellent - no sign of any supposed QA/QC issues. I suppose some people may well have got duds but I have been super happy with all my Gibsons - both electrics and acoustics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Filbert said:

A good year? I hope so. I too have bought 2 new Gibsons this year - an HP LP and a Firebird and both are superb instruments so I have to agree, Gibson seem to have their mojo back. That being said, I also own a 2015 LP that everyone and their dog seemed to take pleasure in pissing and moaning about and that too is also excellent - no sign of any supposed QA/QC issues. I suppose some people may well have got duds but I have been super happy with all my Gibsons - both electrics and acoustics.

My 2014 LG-2 is the best acoustic guitar I have ever played. Got rid of a Martin X series after I bought the Gibson, and the X series Martin was a very nice sounding guitar. But it never got played after I brought the Gibson home.

I have to jump on the bandwagon too. I'm VERY happy with my LP 50s Standard. I feel warm and fuzzy that Gibson is moving in the right direction.

EDIT: I need to mention that they even put a piece of felt on the little nut under the pickguard to avoid that infamous little chip.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Upvote 3

I don't think they ever went away.  Since 2014 I have purchased 4 Gibson guitars and they were all the highest quality with no defects whatsoever.  And I purchased three on-line without the chance to play and inspect them first.  Something I would never have done in the past, but having moved to an area far from any music stores with a good selection it was my best option.

You don't stay in business for over a hundred years without a quality product. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a minor issue with the PCB in my 2017 Standard which was resolved fairly slowly by Guitar Center. I had to call Gibson to give them a kick in the rear. Since then I've bought a 2017 Tribute, a 2018 Traditional and an 2018 Classic, all Les Pauls. I then bought a 2018 Flying V. All have been near perfect.  I think the quality control myth was started by PRS dealers and fans.  Sure, there have been some duds but overall, I feel mine didn't get the poor quality control memo.

• Upvote 2

Never had a problem with Gibson's quality.  Everyone makes a lemon from time to time.  Gibson has always come through, and gone above and beyond in making issues right.  That's one of the advantages of buying new.

Now certain years models and product design is another matter. 😉

Did I mention that I love my Gibsons ?   grin.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, arcticsg said:

Never had a problem with Gibson's quality.

Nor have I. What's impressing me the most is that their going back to their roots on some of these guitars. No more bells and whistles, they're making them the way god intended to be. This 2019 Les Paul Standard is only my 5th or 6th Lester and they were all awesome guitars. This one is the best hands down...

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Nor have I. What's impressing me the most is that their going back to their roots on some of these guitars. No more bells and whistles, they're making them the way god intended to be. This 2019 Les Paul Standard is only my 5th or 6th Lester and they were all awesome guitars. This one is the best hands down...

Exactly. I've been playing my newest Gibson, SG-Special and I'm amazed at the tones I get out of this guitar. It's based on the early 60's SG's. I'm blow away by the fit and finish of this guitar. My friend who I bought the Les Paul studio has been blown away too.

I would attempt to post a short video of me playing the SG, but I don't want to banned from this site by the moderators, I really like coming here.[flapper]

15 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

Exactly. I've been playing my newest Gibson, SG-Special and I'm amazed at the tones I get out of this guitar. It's based on the early 60's SG's. I'm blow away by the fit and finish of this guitar. My friend who I bought the Les Paul studio has been blown away too.

I would attempt to post a short video of me playing the SG, but I don't want to banned from this site by the moderators, I really like coming here.[flapper]

LOL  i'd just be sure to be wearing pants.. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kidblast said:

LOL  i'd just be sure to be wearing pants.. 

Yeah, some of us tend to post pics of ourselves playing our guitars naked.  Some go as far to do it naked and upside down!!! 🤣

I attempted that last night and Little BB kept getting tangled with the E and B strings. 

Edited by Big Bill
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Yeah, some of us tend to post pics of ourselves playing our guitars naked.  Some go as far to do it naked and upside down!!! 🤣

I attempted that last night and Little BB kept getting tangled with the E and B strings. 

well then,, good to know,, yet by some grace of God, I've never seen those posts.....

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, kidblast said:

well then,, good to know,, yet by some grace of God, I've never seen those posts.....

You have seen such post, God blessed you with giving you the defense mechanism of mentally blocking mihcmac playing his wonderful SG in the while in raw and upside down.  😂

• Upvote 2