Gibson Brands Forums

2019 The Year of Gibson

Navy Vet.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:53 AM, Big Bill said:

You have seen such post, God blessed you with giving you the defense mechanism of mentally blocking mihcmac playing his wonderful SG in the while in raw and upside down.  😂

Actually Bill I wasn't naked. The photo was only down to my shoulders from the back with my guitar behind my head, it was actually just a demonstration on how light and easy an SG is to play... My typical uniform for the day, every day, is shorts an slippers all year around, nothing else is required.. But once in a while if I'm going to town I do wear more..     no more kettle or drip line but my SG X......................... 🙂

SbXTc3E.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a 2018 SG Standard 61 that I sold to get and Original Collection SG Standard 61. There was something about my former 2018 SG that felt like a constant battle with the guitar. I couldn’t find anything objectively wrong with the guitar. Perhaps a tiny and subtle twist on the neck, but not enough to affect playability or sound. The Original Collection one blew the 2018 out of the water. The thing almost plays itself. Not to say that 2018 sucks. Quite the contrary, I have an amazing 2018 LP Faded. However, every 2019 Studio Tribute that I’ve picked we’re absolutely atrocious. I’m glad Gibson got rid of that aberration and brought back the LP Tribute. I also had amazing luck with 2017. The new original and modern collection are on a different level though. I deliberately not play them in stores to prevent myself from spending more money. Those LP Special Tribute DC are very tempting. 

• Thanks 1

You know, I've always read about how terrible Gibson has gotten.  But I've owned two 2012s that were perfect.  And while I expect this, the '99 R4 I got is also fit & finish.

Yeah, I suspect that since PLEK, Gibson has been more ON than OFF for players.  Maybe not always those wanting true historics, but that's a work in progress spanning decades.

And I bet most with actual historics would rather play the more modern ones (less muddy b/c the caps and magnets are new, etc)

I agree, Gibson is "back" and the used market is their biggest competitor.  I wouldn't buy a Fender anymore.  I buy knockoffs (Suhr, Anderson, Ron Thorn, etc) but while I know there are boutique Gibsons, the real company wares don't dissuade me at all from experience.

(that said, can someone sell me a 1962 left-handed 335 please? haha)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Actually Bill I wasn't naked. The photo was only down to my shoulders from the back with my guitar behind my head, it was actually just a demonstration on how light and easy an SG is to play... My typical uniform for the day, every day, is shorts an slippers all year around, nothing else is required.. But once in a while if I'm going to town I do wear more..     no more kettle or drip line but my SG X......................... 🙂

SbXTc3E.jpg

I pulled into Pearl about 8-9 times in the Nav. I never wore long pants when I hit the “beach” (Navy term for being off the ship). Folks there are way laid back, I had a routine I would hit Fort Derussy first and get real lubed up on military drink prices then head down to the Shore Bird and party.  But being home ported in Long Beach CA going to Pearl felt like being in LA. 

I would give up ten years of life remaining if I could go back in time to my first ship.

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

I pulled into Pearl about 8-9 times in the Nav. I never wore long pants when I hit the “beach” (Navy term for being off the ship). Folks there are way laid back, I had a routine I would hit Fort Derussy first and get real lubed up on military drink prices then head down to the Shore Bird and party.  But being home ported in Long Beach CA going to Pearl felt like being in LA. 

I would give up ten years of life remaining if I could go back in time to my first ship.

I flew into Hickam a few times while doing runs into Japan. I went nude... That's why I assumed mihcmac...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

3 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I flew into Hickam a few times while doing runs into Japan. I went nude... That's why I assumed mihcmac...

A time machine would be be fun, but you have to be ready to act on the next event that may be right in front of you.....

Clothes are optional in places, on the Big Island there is still lots of coastline with very few people......

The previous image was at Hollywood Alley in Az with my SG X. Another band at a pavilion on the Hilo Bay Front with my LP Special DC.....

oV7Bfm9.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Hector said:

Thanks, must be I ran across two two duds in a row.. My other SGs are excellent (2007 and 2013), but these two early 2019s were not. Glad to hear you got a good one!

Not trying to question you, just trying to learn (hoping another SG is in my future)…  what made them duds?  What should I be on the lookout for?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hector said:

The only advice I can offer is if you want to buy an SG (or any guitar for that matter) either make sure you can play it first, or make sure the store has an iron-clad return policy for when you receive it and don't get along with it for X, Y or Z reasons.

TY - makes sense, seen a couple situations where things weren't as good as possible,  They were quickly remedied when issues were found, but it took knowing what to look for.  My guess is w/ the past years shake-up things slipped through the cracks. 

What it means to me is when you get a good one, you get a good one, but you need to do your due diligence to make sure you get there...  right now.  I've been watching from afar, but I believe they've filled some quality management positions in the recent past and hopefully things become more solid going forward...  because their good ones, are really good ones.

• Like 1

edited from earlier post...

Almost every one in here that has gotten these have been quite satisfied.....

front-banner-1600_900.png

Current 2019 SG's

Profile descriptions........

Brian Ray ’62 SG Junior - Custom 1962 Slim Taper

SG Modern - Asymmetrical Slim Taper

SG Standard - Rounded

SG Standard Tribute - Rounded

1961 Les Paul SG Standard Reissue - 1960 Slim Taper

1964 SG Standard Reissue Vibrola - Authentic '64 Medium C-Shape

1963 Les Paul SG Custom Reissue Vibrola 1960 - Slim Taper

SG Custom 2-Pickup 1960 - Slim Taper

SG Standard ‘61 Vibrola - Slim Taper

SG Standard ‘61 Sideways Vibrola - Slim Taper

SG Standard ‘61 - Slim Taper

SG Special - Slim Taper

SG Junior - Slim Taper

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Brian Ray ’62 SG Junior - Custom 1962 Slim Taper

Good to see Brian got a signature Gibson.  I'm surprised it's not an LP goldtop, though, like his original ax.

brianraygoldtop.jpg

Edited by Cougar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cougar said:

Good to see Brian got a signature Gibson.  I'm surprised it's not an LP goldtop, though, like his original ax.

brianraygoldtop.jpg

Brian Ray's new Gibson SG Junior... with noise cancelling induction coil under the pickguard....

Edited by mihcmac