Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - My Blueshawk

Filbert

Yes, I know, I have already posted about this in the 'Blueshawk Club' thread but I felt I had to share my experience today in a new thread. I was fiddling with my Marshall DSL15C, basically just knob twiddling really, trying to get to that sweet spot without perforating my eardrums or aggravating my neighbours. Well, anyway, today must have been one of those days when everything cosmically aligns and turns out perfectly. The amp settings seemed to be spot on and the Blueshawk really sang. It was unbelievable, such a great tone. I'm not a good guitar player, far from it, but even with my lumpen hands of clay, it just sounded so, so sweet! I still cannot get over the tone that comes out of this thing! Anyway, sorry for raving, just wanted to share!

As an aside, I also gave it a quick wipe-down, a set of new Hybrid Slinkys and a pic in the sun:

z15B22k.jpg?1

PknYJiD.jpg?1

Whoever owned this guitar prior to me really took care of it - just the most superficial of dings and blemishes and only very light evidence of fingerboard wear. I don't think it was used much, certainly not gigged, unless the guy (or gal!) had a feather touch anyway. I suspect it spent most of its time hanging or on a stand. It's weird - my Blueshawk and my Nighthawk, despite being roughly the same age, are like the yin and yang of guitars; the Nighthawk looks every one of its 26 years - it has been well-played, well-used and shows it whereas the Blueshawk, well, as you can see, it's nearly factory fresh bar the odd mark here and there.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Beautiful guitar.. I am glad to see a renewed interesrest in Blues Hawks, I love mine. I wish they would make a Gibson Blues Hawk again...

It's all very 'Sliding Doors' and stems from me buying a Fender Blues Junior a few months ago. I went to the guy's house who was selling it and he happened to have a lovely Nighthawk. "What's that?", I asked him - it looked like a Les Paul-ish but much thinner and with Fender-like slanted pickups and a selector switch. Well, he told me, I had a go on it to demo the amp and later that day when I got home, ended up doing some research into them.

Following that, I ended up buying a Nighthawk of my own and once I had that, I then ended up finding out about the similarly shaped Blueshawks so of course, I had to get one of those too and we are where we are now!

Edited by Filbert
  • Like 2

As an addendum to this, for those of you, like me, who are curious as to what practical difference scale length actually makes, apparently guitars with shorter scale lengths require less tension to bring a string to pitch. This, in turn, makes things like bending strings slightly easier. I tested this theory on both my Fenders and Gibsons and can confirm the Gibsons are ever so slightly easier to bend strings. Not much of a difference, granted and it isn't something I had noticed independently either. If I hadn't been told, I probably wouldn't have noticed but it isn't a negligible difference either, certainly.

• Thanks 1