Gibson Brands Forums
Jinder

My mysterious new (to me) Dove...

Hi all,

I snagged myself a lovely new guitbox today...a '95 Dove (born on 7th December, the 16th guitar stamped in Bozeman that day!). It plays like butter and sounds beautifully warm and full. 

Ren once claimed that '95 was the year they really got it dialled in at the Bozeman plant and that it was something of a golden year, so I've been keenly pursuing a '95 Dove for some time. I traded my '41 Reissue SJ100 for it as my shoulder probs make playing a 17" Jumbo difficult, I wanted to keep one (my SJ200) so the admittedly gorgeous sounding 100 drew the short straw. 

The Dove is outstanding, but has a few mysterious quirks. Firstly, rather than the standard modern Dove bridge, this one has the bevelled '70s style bridge. There are signs (if you look VERY hard) that this bridge is a replacement, but it's done so well and hewn from such a lovely block of Ebony that it's not an issue for me. In fact, the '70s style bridge is what initially attracted me to it as I love the look of them. 

Secondly, it has an odd label-it's in the right place for the build era (to the right of the centre strip) but it's a Kalamazoo era label which has been completed by hand. On the opposite side of the back, the S/N has been pencilled onto the wood itself very lightly. Also, the S/N on both the label and the back is two digits out, ending in 018 rather than 016. 

I can only assume that when the bridge work was done, the label was either damaged or came loose and was lost, so was replaced by the person who did the work. 

The guitar is absolutely, definitely not a fake-I can spot a fake a mile off. It's not a '70s model that's been given a shonky S/N either, as it's single X braced and has the '90s Bozeman era rosette layouts and neck carve. The neck feels identical in profile to my 1990 Hummingbird, although longer scale of course.

It's a unique guitar, that's for sure. And I very much like that.

Screenshot_20190919-232000__01.jpg

Really nice bridge.  Ebony makes more sense to me than rosewood..  Looks like it's been taken care of. Now it's your turn!   Congrats! 

The original Dove-bridge, which as we know was thought up, drawn and carved by the 7 dwarfs as they were waiting for Snow White to come by, actually is a bit corny compared to the 70s version that under foggy circumstances landed on your 90s guitar. So a slightly odd plus right there.

My 96 Dove is tremendously good and sounds like a million on tape. But it seems it had a thicker neck than yours before getting sanded. Also featured Grover tuners which needed to be replaced. Golden waffle-back tulips was to be flown in and screwed on - that brought it home.

What's on yours and is it tomato or cherry (my standard Q) - guess the latter. You should post a full picture.

Congs ^

, , , , and btw. didn't you own a Dove already. . 

Edited by E-minor7

Social Media is amazing...I'm almost as happy for a person I've never met face to face or spoken to getting another Dove as I would be if it were me...

1 hour ago, Cabarone said:

Social Media is amazing...I'm almost as happy for a person I've never met face to face or spoken to getting another Dove as I would be if it were me...

Thanks Cabs!! Really appreciate your kind thoughts. I'm thrilled with the Dove.

Em7, I did have a Dove for several years...went through a whole scene with Gibson CS Europe over frets falling out and a warranty claim that was incredibly difficult...I loved the guitar but it was never right after it came back from repair and was traded in with full disclosure for my cherry J180, which was also subsequently traded for my D18GE and '94 L-00. Exceptionally pleased to be back in the aviary and with a mid '90s example. Love these '90s flyers.

Billroy, the Maple AJ and Dove are surprisingly very different animals...the AJ is VERY loud, with huge dynamic range and quite an aggressive nature (in a good way). The Dove is smoother, a little quieter and has a little more midrange. It has that lovely natural compression when strummed which is such a Maple Gibson trademark. The AJ doesn't have that compression in its nature due to the bracing, and will get louder and louder as the right hand emphasis increases, seemingly with endless headroom.

In my opinion, both are great in their own ways but are distinctly different. The Dove is a fantastic strummer (arguably the AJ's weaker point) whereas the AJ is fabulously defined and articulate for fingerstyle. The Dove is a lovely fingerpicker but the AJ is just so full of spark when played with fingers it's hard to beat 

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

Thanks Cabs!! Really appreciate your kind thoughts. I'm thrilled with the Dove.

. . .  It has that lovely natural compression when strummed which is such a Maple Gibson trademark. The AJ doesn't have that compression in its nature due to the bracing, and will get louder and louder as the right hand emphasis increases, seemingly with endless headroom.

An interesting interpretation of the maple Gibson sound- maybe I don't get around the internet enough to have heard that as compression, but yes, I can see it. Congrats on the new-2-u Dove, and on the new release, as well (kind of a retro feel, that clip, to these ears, and good of BK^7 to pick up on the triggered percussion).

As far as the Dove bridge wonderings- what made you think it might be a replacement? I mean, shrinkage happens- it's not uncommon to see a gap in the finish where either the top, or finish, or bridge contracted, while keeping in mind how the finish is scraped off in Bozeman in preparation for bridge glueing.

Many forms of Dove over the years. . . for those whose eyes hit an aesthetic speed bump when encountering a Dove bridge, here's a Dove that might've belonged to Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) with a more trad pin holder: https://reverb.com/item/6319261-gibson-dove-1995-natural-owned-by-billy-corgan-adore

Edited by 62burst

19 hours ago, Jinder said:

I'm thrilled with the Dove.

Em7, I did have a Dove for several years...went through a whole scene with Gibson CS Europe over frets falling out and a warranty claim that was incredibly difficult...I loved the guitar but it was never right after it came back from repair and was traded in with full disclosure for my cherry J180, which was also subsequently traded for my D18GE and '94 L-00. Exceptionally pleased to be back in the aviary and with a mid '90s example. Love these '90s flyers.

Ahh ya, remember that bizarre fleeting-fret incident. 

Glad you flew another one home.  Like EA - a serious Dove-convert - I'd be curious about your sounds too. 

Congrats, Jinder! A Dove has a special sound to it. I've heard some nice ones online that makes me knees quibble a bit. It's the only guitar that might bump me out of my next planned purchase (HD35 or HD28)

59 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

It's the only guitar that might bump me out of my next planned purchase (HD35 or HD28)

Intriguing situation - 2 very different roads to travel. 

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Intriguing situation - 2 very different roads to travel. 

I've not played a dove yet, but the HD28 and D28 both took me in unsurprising directions. I'm hoping to be able to play a Dove before the time comes. I think. Seeing threads like this one makes think more that not.

Jinder, I'm not sure what you mean by the beveled bridge on your guitar.  I just looked at the bridge on my 2009 Dove and it looks pretty much like yours. Got me really curious. Could you explain what you meant?

• Like 1