Gibson Brands Forums

which gibson/j45 j150

billiards

newbee....just looking at a gibson purchase....not really knowing value of gibsons or number system....which would be the best buy in value for resale /orig. list price/ and playing ........=D> :- hummingsbird,j 45, j150 ???? thanks a million for any help and ifo. jack

Hey Billiards.....

Welcome! I just noticed your from my hometown. Proud 1979 Mayo Grad here! I am up in the cities now but was rooting for Century to beat Blaine in the High School playoffs today. Unfortunatly they got beat 5-0. Blaine is in my kids conference and we have to play them 2 times a season..... let's just say they are very good and easy to root against! [-X

Out of those three choices you mention, I personally would pick the J-45, but that is mostly because I have been gassing for one since I played one that "spoke" to me about 2 weeks ago. Great guitar, plus the mojo of the long distinguished heritage of the J-45, Bob Dylan and all that. I also like the H-birds I have been able to play. My personal favorite Gibson is the Advanced Jumbo of which I own a great speciman built in 2005. I just picked one up at Guitar Center last week and strummed it and yes..... it is still my favorite Gibson tone.

I would say that you need to find which one speaks most to you and grab it and don't look back. Buying your Gibson is a large part of the fun in my opinion. I like to have someone else play it also so I can hear what others hear as I play. Makes for a great comparison to what you hear. It may surprise you when you hear the guitar from the front.

At any rate, welcome to the forum.... you will get ton's of good advice here.

Pull up a chair and join in the fun!

Resale? You mean your not gonna keep it? #-o

Seriously, those three are like apples oranges and pears. Different feels and sounds. Cant really advise not knowing the kind of music you make. As for that resale, probably a quarter less than the purchase price! Good luck.

The best value is finding a guitar that you can afford, yet sounds great to you.

Play as many as you can, until you find one that you like, REALLY like, and then go for it. If you take your time and find a good example you'll be glad that you did. In my opinion, not all guitars are created equal: play ten different guitars of the same model and chances all they're all going to sound a bit different. If you're lucky you might find one, maybe two that sound great to you. The other thing that is important is to have some idea of what you're looking for in a guitar. Do you want a bass-heavy sound, or perhaps a more balanced sound? Do you plan on primarily flatpicking, fingerpicking or both? We all play differently, some with bare fingers, no nails, others with a thumbpick and fingerpicks, some with thin flatpicks and others with thick flatpicks, some with a light attack and others with a heavy handed approach. Not everyone is looking for the same thing out of a guitar.

If you're not hung up on one particular model, then try to keep an open mind. I've played J-45s that were just as balanced as L-00s, with just more of everything. On the other hand, I've played a number of J-45s that had a lot going on in the low end with very little treble presence to speak of. The thing is, some folks would find this sound to be perfect, while others wouldn't. It all comes down to what you are looking for in a guitar and what you want to do with it.

Happy Hunting,

Guth

have some idea of what you're looking for in a guitar. Do you want a bass-heavy sound' date=' or perhaps a more balanced sound? Do you plan on primarily flatpicking, fingerpicking or both? We all play differently, some with bare fingers, no nails, others with a thumbpick and fingerpicks, some with thin flatpicks and others with thick flatpicks, some with a light attack and others with a heavy handed approach. Not everyone is looking for the same thing out of a guitar.Happy Hunting,

Guth[/quote']

That's what I was talking about. Quickly, the Bird (fat,woody) works well for chords & rhythm work, J150 also a rhythm box, but brighter, more percussive (Gary Davis played its big bro, the J200 fingerstyle, but he had a strong righ hand); J45 bright, woody, warm,clear top, less bass more balanced. Wont sound as big as the others but one of the most versatile flattops on the planet (strum, fingerpick, chords, single string lines). For that reason alone might have better resale value but I wouldnt base my decision on that. Listen on the web and play before you pay. J

I gotta say, if you're thinking about the J150, try out the J100, it has a different back'n'sides (some have told me it is Mahogany, some Sapele, others other materials) to the Maple of the J150 and sounds very much like a Hummingbird, except G I G A N T I C!

Archived