Gibson Brands Forums

Does the Perfect Guitar simply exist?

James Owl Smith

15 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

So it is not just weirdo guitarists!

No, most definitely not. 

Regardless of the gear involved, the behavior is almost always the same. A person reads about and fixates on a particular piece of gear. Next they test out that piece of gear and report back how wonderful it is. Then they purchase the piece of gear and write at length about just how amazing (perhaps even how perfect) it is. After that they are sure to bring up just how happy they are with said new piece of gear in numerous other threads. After some period of time they happen to read about another piece of gear. All of a sudden the once amazing piece of gear previously purchased doesn't seem to be enough. A new piece of gear is added to the mix with another glowing review. That is followed by much discussion of this latest item in other threads. The person might begin to accumulate numerous items or they might start churning through one piece of gear after another. A few individuals might actually stick with that original piece of gear for many years. It is entirely likely that they are the ones who are the happiest with their gear.

You can watch this play out on countless forums. Guitar forums are no exception of course. This is the kind of thing that I seriously doubt happened very much before the Internet made it's presence felt in the lives of so many.

I know the perfect guitar exists. I have played a them. I worked part-time in an acoustic shop for half a dozen years. We had a lot of vintage stuff come through. There was a '36 D18 and a '37 AJ that were both other worldly... perfect.  I have to say that I am haunted by both of those guitars. 

As far as modern guitars go, I couldn't be happier with my J35 Fuller's and Collings D1T. It took me years to find both of them. They are not the '36 D18 or '37 AJ, but they are perfect for me.

Edited by Fidalgo

23 hours ago, Fidalgo said:

I know the perfect guitar exists. I have played a them. I worked part-time in an acoustic shop for half a dozen years. We had a lot of vintage stuff come through. There was a '36 D18 and a '37 AJ that were both other worldly... perfect.  I have to say that I am haunted by both of those guitars. 

As far as modern guitars go, I couldn't be happier with my J35 Fuller's and Collings D1T. It took me years to find both of them. They are not the '36 D18 or '37 AJ, but they are perfect for me.

The haunting of a non-purchase is the first place I went when pondering the question of this thread. For me, it was a '68 'bird for $5k in the local guitar shop that I was too chicken to snag. It was 4 years ago now and I can still feel it. I do still have the guitar I ended up purchasing that day. $2k less, too. It's not perfect, though, but it's mine and it gets it's turn in the rotation starting Monday afternoon. ( 3 guitars rotate a week at a time out of their cases onto the stand beside my sofa for daily play that week.  )

On 9/26/2019 at 7:06 PM, PatriotsBiker said:

The haunting of a non-purchase is the first place I went when pondering the question of this thread. For me, it was a '68 'bird for $5k in the local guitar shop that I was too chicken to snag. It was 4 years ago now and I can still feel it. I do still have the guitar I ended up purchasing that day. $2k less, too. It's not perfect, though, but it's mine and it gets it's turn in the rotation starting Monday afternoon. ( 3 guitars rotate a week at a time out of their cases onto the stand beside my sofa for daily play that week.  )

If a haunting is the marker for a perfect guitar, then I have a third. It was a '47 D18, beat up and well-played. I found it at Spruce Tree music in Madison, WI back in '96. It was $2000 and needed a neck reset. It sounded fantastic and looked beautiful but played hard. I was just out of grad school, and my wife and I were in the process of moving to Colorado. I just didn't have the scratch for that itch at the time. That guitar haunts me too.