Gibson Brands Forums

New to collecting

hotwired99

Good morning!

HOPEFULLY This is not too general a question...I've been smitten with a Gibson bug ever since seeing Skynyrd live recently. LOVE to own an authentic Explorer, SG and Les Paul. If I were to seek out one of each, and wanted to own models that sound great AND will hold (or increase) their value, what are some examples of models and years I might look for? I know the sky's the limit, so let's say "reasonable" like $3,000 upper limit (suggested only...if you know a "must have" that's 5K neighborhood I'd consider it)

Added thoughts: I know as far as Explorer's I'd probably want korina wood right? I do have an opp to buy a 2014 anniversary SG all original for $680 with hardshell case. These seem to run about $700 (no case) online though...is that model really anything "special"? 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good luck in hunting down the guitars you fancy but you should be aware that the chances of anything from the regular Gibson plant these days holding value - let alone increasing - is effectively nil. There are simply far too many examples of each model being manufactured. To give you an example; one of the most desirable Les Pauls, the Custom Shop 1959 reissue, currently lists for around the £5,000 (Sterling) mark here in the UK. A second-hand recently-made example in near-mint condition can be found around the £3,000 mark any day of the week. That is a 40% drop in value in just a few years. With thousands of examples being made every year what chance do any of them have of increasing in value?

The only instruments which might have a chance of holding/increasing value are some of the Artists Signature or the Collector's Choice releases from the Custom Shop and/or things a bit special such as the Tom Murphy painted and aged Les Pauls but these tend to be considerably more expensive than the upper limit you are hoping to spend and yet even the vast majority of these are hardly likely to increase by much if, indeed, at all. There are a few exceptions; if you could track down one of the aged/signed Billy Gibbons 'Pearly Gates' reissues it might be worth a bit more at some future date but AFAIK currently these are hovering around the $20,000 mark so it might be a long wait to see a substantial profit.

Best to think of it this way; Today you buy a brand new C-Class Mercedes Benz Coupe for $45,000. How much would you expect it to be worth on the used market in five years time? In 10 years time? In 30 years time?.........

Unless you are considering something really special and rare then, unfortunately, modern guitars are simply not a good investment opportunity.

IMO of course. YMMV.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1