Gibson Brands Forums

I’ve got an old Gibson Explorer that was heavily refinished at one point in it’s life.  I bought it used from a local guitar shop 15 years ago, and the dude told me it was a 1981. Anyway I’m pretty sure the pickups have been switched out to these cream colored humbuckers. Recently the neck pickup has gotten SUPER dark and just doesn’t have that nice tone it used to. I had my guitar tech buddy tear it all apart and check it out. He can’t figure it what’s wrong with the pup but did replace all the pots as they were old and failing and one had a brass stem,  and the other 2 aluminum- clearly not original. The tone pot actually had a resistor from a vintage fender amp attached vs the normal one for this guitar. Anyway, got those all replaced and am now looking for a set of pups to make this thing sing. Any recommendations? I really want to outfit this rig with some pups For that Rich Robinson/Marc Ford tone, but also Billy Gibbons, Allen Collins, Duane Allman tone’s too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Slap some Pearly Gates in it and hear the Angles sing.

6 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

LOL I cant spell Angels

As we are considering an Explorer I thought that the use of the word 'Angles' was intentional....

FWIW I also agree with Keefoman that 57 Classics would be a good choice.

Pip.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pippy said:

As we are considering an Explorer I thought that the use of the word 'Angles' was intentional....

FWIW I also agree with Keefoman that 57 Classics would be a good choice.

Pip.

From own experience, I could also recommend Lollar Imperials for that classic PAF-type sound. Never had them in an Explorer, but in a Les Paul Classic I owned years ago, they sounded very good. I also mounted a set of them in a ‘74 Les Paul Custom I did some work on for a friend of mine. Same satisfactory result! 😊

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keefoman said:

From own experience, I could also recommend Lollar Imperials for that classic PAF-type sound......in a Les Paul Classic I owned years ago, they sounded very good....

I've never heard a bad word spoken about Lollar Imperials. In fact I've never heard a bad word about any of Mr. Lollar's products. Quite the reverse in fact. His pickups are always highly praised.

If the OP is considering non-Gibson sourced p'ups (and I'm guessing they might be) my own second choice from personal experience (after 57 Classics) would probably be SD Antiquities (a matched pair which I happen to have, coincidentally, in a '95 Les Paul '1960 Classic') but I admit my experience regarding newer-era boutique p'ups is Absolutely Zero. The Antiquities aren't 'extrovert' by their very nature but IMO they are closer to what my experience has been of the genuine and original PAF equipped guitars which I've played than almost anything else..........apart from '57 Classics.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1