Gibson Brands Forums

New Sheryl Crow Country Western

Jalex

Think we need to hear the actual guitar she's talking about. Yes, it's been up before - never the less.

1962 ~ (correct if wrong)

The new one is quite nice too. As Duluth notice rather cherryish back'n'sides.  Not a bad choice at all.

Go Sheryl, go. . 

Ouh, , and those Ems between the 2:56 and 59 mark still tell it all.   

And here the new one shines through. 1930s advanced bracing pattern - aha, , , or wow - sounds like it's worth trying. 

Really like these 2 guys. They have comedy goin'

Put them in a road-movie where they're bound to drive 2000 miles in a bumped car to bring back a lost guitar, fx Parsons  customized Dove. 
It'll be a hit, , , and so much fun. . 

Ooh, Em7, what a sweet thing she is.

The guitar ain't bad, either.

Let's put this in perspective. We're talking early in the square dread cycle, so these were fairly light guitars compared to a few years later.

Would not these early square SJ/CW's have essentially been the same structurally as a 'Bird without the 'Bird's flight feathers? (yes, I know, no adj, etc)

That Em is a big chord on that guitar, and pretty well typifies the best Gibson square box tone from the period, without the ceramic bite.

There's nothing quite like a small girl with a big guitar. Be still, my heart.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, j45nick said:

Would not these early square SJ/CW's have essentially been the same structurally as a 'Bird without the 'Bird's flight feathers? (yes, I know, no adj, etc)

Yep - as a lot of us know they follow each other wave by wave, , , the Bird, the 1962 to 69/70 Southern Jumbo and Country Western.  Guess further into the 70s also.  And yet they come out so different as individuals - not only for the adjustable rosewood contra ceramic reason.

Not a bad thing to repeat for new viewers. 

Highly intriguing but also vulnerable guitars. I still could spend more time (and probably green paper) investigating the mystery. 

Edited by E-minor7

13 hours ago, moosesyr said:

Oh Sheryl, Sheryl!  We could  make beautiful music together but for the darn restraining order ....just kidding😀.

Great artist, always cool guitar sound.  Love to play ‘Favorite mistake’.

laughed hard I did....

Ms. Crow is the real deal.    If I was looking for another gibson acoustic, and hey, who isn't, that may be the one I'd seriously consider.

I really like this model, however there are two things I personally would like to change. I would prefer if the pickguard did not cover the inner band of rosette rings. Also, I'm not a big fan of the pattern in pickguard material. To me, it looks kind of fake.

Sounds great, though!

Lars

26 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Also, I'm not a big fan of the pattern in pickguard material.

Agree - the pattern used on these since they came out in the late 90s don't reach the level of the originals.

Nor do they fully cover the potential of the charismatic  'tortoise'-effect. Been concerned 'bout this for ages - a bit of a shame. 

Watching those guys in the video I found myself asking where is Curly?  

No ADJ bridge which means no stiff oversized laminate bridge plate which most would say is a good thing. .  Also the wider Bozeman  nut than the originals had which is always a good thing. I  assume Gibson uses their standard scalloped bracing as  opposed to the carve that the bracing in an early 1960s guitar would have had.    Not a good or a bad thing just a different,   All in all though sounds like it may very well be a winner.  Not a guitar though that is going to get me running for the drool bucket.