Gibson Brands Forums

New Sheryl Crow Country Western

Jalex

1 hour ago, thegreatgumbino said:

It's a great sounding guitar, but the pick guard is ugly as heck.  This is the one at Wildwood.

Wow, what a top/side summit. Slam on a black guard, , , , or a slow-mo tortoise ditto and you have a clean stunner. . 

21 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Wow, what a top/side summit. Slam on a black guard, , , , or a slow-mo tortoise ditto and you have a clean stunner. . 

Agreed.  Check out this 2010 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage that popped up used on Dave's website yesterday for $2,495.  It sold in less than 24 hours of being listed.  I've never seen a natural TV.  Looks amazing.  Such a difference the pick guard makes.  I actually called and almost bought it, but knew my wife would castrate me if I did.  😱

W2DNtA0.jpg

WlfGicC.jpg

6KFQTtZ.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thegreatgumbino said:

It's a great sounding guitar, but the pick guard is ugly as heck.  This is the one at Wildwood.

Not sure on the guard, would have to see it in person, give it a chance to grow on me...  but if it doesn't it would be tortoise for me and sure I would be happy as could be

• 3 weeks later...

I played one of these at Fuller's yesterday, and it is a stellar sounding guitar.  Heads and tails better than the 2017 Hummingbird Vintage hanging next to it.  The pick guard looks better in person, but I'm still not a fan of it.  I don't care for the cherry colored back and sides either.  But it has tone for days and played like butter.

Sounds like you've got a serious jones going for one of the SCCW's, Gumbino. The pickguard could always be removed and set aside, replaced with any 'Bird clone p/g or just go sans. As far as your feelings about the cherry stained back on that guitar, setting down the Hummingbird earlier, I realized I hadn't even looked at the back lately. . . and really wouldn't think to have a look back there very often on any guitar- unless maybe it looked like this:

vhwSezP.png?2

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Sounds like you've got a serious jones going for one of the SCCW's, Gumbino. The pickguard could always be removed and set aside, replaced with any 'Bird clone p/g or just go sans. As far as your feelings about the cherry stained back on that guitar, setting down the Hummingbird earlier, I realized I hadn't even looked at the back lately. . . 

It is a great guitar, but I’m not jonsing for it.  

I used the outing to narrow my options.  I've been torn between a Hummingbird and J200, but last night sealed the deal for me.  I played the CW, two Hummingbird Vintage, and four J200’s.   One of the four J200's was great, another one of them was stellar.  Wish I had the scratch to buy new.  I would have brought it home with me.  Unfortunately, the budget my wife has agreed to will require going used.  

I did purchase a used J150 this week from GC that sounded and looked great, however it and the case arrived smelling to high heaven of menthol cigarettes.  It was returned last night.  If you're looking for one, don’t buy the one at Guitar Center in Houston, Texas.   Unless of course you're a smoker, and then it could be a match made in heaven.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, 62burst said:

Sounds like you've got a serious jones going for one of the SCCW's, Gumbino. The pickguard could always be removed and set aside, replaced with any 'Bird clone p/g or just go sans. As far as your feelings about the cherry stained back on that guitar, setting down the Hummingbird earlier, I realized I hadn't even looked at the back lately. . . and really wouldn't think to have a look back there very often on any guitar- unless maybe it looked like this:

As we know there is a semi weird group of people called sound-hole-sniffers.  Ooooh, the ones not in that crowd don't know what they're missing.

But one step further out lies an even stranger category = The blank back-lookers (some heavies there can be called back-meditators). 
And yes, I belong to them also. Sometimes just sit and study the back of my guitars - kind of paralyzed. That goes for the neutral ones too. 

A steady needle-grained hog-back - mesmerizing

The more vivid Rosewood -  a seducing high

Rio rose - dangerously euphoric

, , , won't even begin to talk about tripping quilt'n'flame maple - both beyond available description. .  

On 10/21/2019 at 9:04 PM, E-minor7 said:

As we know there is a semi weird group of people called sound-hole-sniffers.  Ooooh, the ones not in that crowd don't know what they're missing.

But one step further out lies an even stranger category = The blank back-lookers (some heavies there can be called back-meditators). 
And yes, I belong to them also. Sometimes just sit and study the back of my guitars - kind of paralyzed. That goes for the neutral ones too. 

A steady needle-grained hog-back - mesmerizing

The more vivid Rosewood -  a seducing high

Rio rose - dangerously euphoric

, , , won't even begin to talk about tripping quilt'n'flame maple - both beyond available description. .  

I know what you mean

J200’s

21 hours ago, Dave F said:

I know what you mean

Two highly impressive backs - the skunk, but especially the indian stripes are always a high. 

This angle also offers an opportunity to enjoy the basic body shapes.  And see how balanced and well drawn most of them actually are. 

• Like 1

I had my SJ200 a couple of years, before  I happened to notice, when playing on the back porch what happened when the sun hit the flame maple back. I was just about to move, to get back in the shade -  the flame literally lit up and became translucent!   3-D depth and shimmering.  Like nothing I'd ever seen in a piece of wood!