Gibson Brands Forums

It's alive!! Wellll, not yet....

jimmiJAMM

Thinking about picking up a cheap *** SG copy, strippin' her down and making the world's first SG Frankenstein. I'm a graphic designer and pretty handy with the tools. I think I can pull this off. I've Googled the subject and it doesn't seem like anyone's ever attempted this. Found a few Les Paul version but no SG. By now you're probably shaking your heads in disgust but at the same time thinking, damn, that might actually be pretty cool!

Gonna whip up a Photoshop preliminary comp. Stay tuned.

I got tired of my "Frankenstein" SG and put it back all close to original. It was actually a '97 Epi G-400 w/Vibrato (the Epi Bigsby-style trem), with custom knobs and a few hardware changes. I had an exposed humbucker in the bridge, and a Tele neck pickup (the faux lipstick style) in the neck position with a custom-made adaptor for the humbucker ring, along with push-pull coil tap and phase. It was a nice change of pace for a couple months, but then I wanted an SG again so I put 'er back together propa'. It's fun to experiment though, especially if you can snag some cheap parts/body/neck/etc on eBay. Have a blast with it!

H-Bomb

Any pictures ? And will you need to hoist it onto the roof in a thunderstorm ? :)

I posted some before and after pictures here recently.

And no, I do not plan on hoisting this guitar up in a thunderstorm. Since my band turned into a duo this guitar hasn't left my room, and won't for a few more months.

And no' date=' I do not plan on hoisting this guitar up in a thunderstorm. Since my band turned into a duo this guitar hasn't left my room, and won't for a few more months.[/quote']

Oh man, thats a cool looking piece, btw is that one of those single coil/humbucker/p90 pickups in the bridge? Also, why dont you have knobs for the neck man?

Oh man' date=' thats a cool looking piece, btw is that one of those single coil/humbucker/p90 pickups in the bridge? Also, why dont you have knobs for the neck man?[/quote']

Yeah its a Seymour Duncan P-Rails. Its amazing. Once I get some more dough I'm getting one put in the neck.

It only has two knobs because the P-Rail uses a three way switch so I had that replace the tone, then I had a coil tap put where the volume was. It's re-wired with a master volume tone. It fits the way I play perfectly.

Yeah its a Seymour Duncan P-Rails. Its amazing. Once I get some more dough I'm getting one put in the neck.

It only has two knobs because the P-Rail uses a three way switch so I had that replace the tone' date=' then I had a coil tap put where the volume was. It's re-wired with a master volume tone. It fits the way I play perfectly.[/quote']

Nice **** man, do you know the output of the individual positions? Im considering loading my sg with them.

And no' date=' I do not plan on hoisting this guitar up in a thunderstorm. Since my band turned into a duo this guitar hasn't left my room, and won't for a few more months.[/quote']

i like what you've done with it!

what type of pick ups did you switch it to? any reason for getting rid of the 490R 498T package?

Edit: NVM read the thread a bit more after posting.... my bad

And no' date=' I do not plan on hoisting this guitar up in a thunderstorm. Since my band turned into a duo this guitar hasn't left my room, and won't for a few more months.[/quote'] i thought you've had that one for a while, or are you making a different one?

Archived