Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar stands?

dhanners623

Here's a question for the Gibson acoustic hive mind: What's a good guitar stand you like?

I'm looking for something sturdy, doesn't take up an inordinate amount of space and the parts touching the guitar won't craze a nitro finish. The guitar would be sitting on it, at most, for maybe an hour or two. I want something that has a cradle for the neck of some sort. (Those little stands that just hold the guitar by the lower bout scare me....)

Recommendations?

I have a few of these https://www.amazon.com/HERCULES-Acoustic-Guitar-GS414B-PLUS/dp/B07BBMHN7V/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

they are safe w/ nitro, and very sturdy  Not cheap, but IMO worth it. 

btw: . (Those little stands that just hold the guitar by the lower bout scare me....)

I threw ALL of the ones I had out.  I think these are accidents begging to happen

Edited by kidblast

40 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I have several of that same Hercules stand, and like them a lot. They had a problem with the plastic parts disintegrating a few years ago, but the newer ones are just fine. They replaced the defective ones under warranty.

Yep!  that was an issue.  both of the ones I have were of the newer / re-engineered model. 

I have a relic (old) stand made by Hamilton that is basically the grand father of all these hanging stands.  I think I bought this in the early 80s.   That sucker is rock solid but not nitro safe.  I've got felt wrapped around the head stock fingers. 

Edited by kidblast

I use some of the smaller ones that just hold the lower bout and never had an issue.  These are in places not likely to get bumped, and having said that, my Gibby is in a stand that cradles the neck, but more because I like to be able to pick the guitar and stand up w/ one hand when I want to pick and move where I'm playing.  

I am at the point where I need to get a new stand anyways, rubber padding starting to give - and the Hercules is the front runner.  Only bad thing I ever heard was the plastic deteiorating, but they stepped up big time to fix it for anyone with issues, so good in my book.

I use some of the smaller ones that just hold the lower bout and never had an issue. 

Every repair person I talk to shudders when they see a fine guitar being placed on one of those "pitchfork" stands.

The best quote yet was from one that said "I shouldn't hate them as I do, they bring me a lot of business..."

Let that sink in for a minute...

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I use some of the smaller ones that just hold the lower bout and never had an issue. 

Every repair person I talk to shudders when they see a fine guitar being placed on one of those "pitchfork" stands.

The best quote yet was from one that said "I shouldn't hate them as I do, they bring me a lot of business..."

So what problems  does the "pitchfork" style cause??  Never heard of this and I am curious as I have a few of them.

I've been using four of the cheap Guitar Center "On Stage" stands for 5 or 6 years now. No problems, I leave two guitars on the stands 24/7 and have never noticed any marks. They have also spent plenty of time outside, with two of the stands either on the porch or completely exposed to the elements all summer on my little outdoor stage. They're a bit rusty around the edges from that, but still perfectly usable.

I'm sure there are better ones, but these do everything I need. 

[edit] I see they have changed the name to "Musicians Gear", but these look like the same ones that I have. Also see they have a "3-pack" now for $25. Tough to beat that price. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Tubular-Guitar-Stand-Black-1274228076940.gc

Edited by Boyd

42 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I've been using four of the cheap Guitar Center "On Stage" stands for 5 or 6 years now. No problems, I leave two guitars on the stands 24/7 and have never noticed any marks. They have also spent plenty of time outside, with two of the stands either on the porch or completely exposed to the elements all summer on my little outdoor stage. They're a bit rusty around the edges from that, but still perfectly usable.

I'm sure there are better ones, but these do everything I need. 

[edit] I see they have changed the name to "Musicians Gear", but these look like the same ones that I have. Also see they have a "3-pack" now for $25. Tough to beat that price. 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Tubular-Guitar-Stand-Black-1274228076940.gc

They also say, "Not for nitrocellulose guitars." I just don't want to chance it. I have one of those and stick my Farida on it from time to time, but it has a poly finish.

I need to see if I can find the Hercules stands in Nicosia....

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

want to shudder a bit, I just remembered a post someone put up with a video of someone standing their guitars up balancing on the bout and strap pin.  I couldn't find the post, but who needs a stand...

34 minutes ago, billroy said:

want to shudder a bit, I just remembered a post someone put up with a video of someone standing their guitars up balancing on the bout and strap pin.  I couldn't find the post, but who needs a stand...

Seesh!

it's crazy world out there,  one must keep ones head on ones shoulders!!

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

yep  totally frivolous ... until the day comes when you're looking for a guy to put the head-stock back on your neck,  then, not so much...  🙂

if your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...  is what I would have said in my younger days.  ...but now I agree with you.

Got my first J-50 in 1974 and don't think I realized there was even such a thing as a guitar stand until 2010. 😁 Here it was in 1985, leaning against the wall, like it always was.

j50_1985.jpg

The case was a chip-board piece of junk that didn't fit very well, so I never used it. But kids and pets took their toll on the guitar over the years. Had to get this repaired and also replaced a split bridge back in the 1980's. I don't recall any specific incident that caused this damage, it started as a small crack and grew. It didn't completely break, but became unplayable as the gap got big

74_neck.jpg

I never lean guitars against the wall anymore. Back in 2014, my 2008 J-50 was happily sitting in its stand when I clumsily bumped into a lightweight chair that fell over and did some major cosmetic damage that permanently scarred that guitar. Oh well, as it ages, it just adds to the character. 😎

26 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

I may wind up ordering a GS100 from Sweetwater. They say they can ship it to me for $30.

That works, but there's nothing available local?  I thought the music scene in Cyprus was pretty good (I believe that's where you're at)… but then as I type this, when it comes to a stand, I think  it's worth getting what you want.  I like Sweetwater - good luck.

26 minutes ago, billroy said:

That works, but there's nothing available local?  I thought the music scene in Cyprus was pretty good (I believe that's where you're at)… but then as I type this, when it comes to a stand, I think  it's worth getting what you want.  I like Sweetwater - good luck.

where the hell is a guitar center when you really need one..?  hmmmm???

Wound up ordering a GS100 from Sweetwater. Shipping by FedEx international was pricey enough, but when you live abroad, you learn to live with shipping costs.

Nicosia does have some good music shops, but I haven't found a stand on the order of a GS100. The stands are either those floor things or over-engineered (and pricey) machines that grab your guitar's neck when you put the guitar in it. And the padding on all of them is suspect vis-a-vis guitars with nitro finishes.