Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone ID this RIviera

Kenny202

I just bought this Riv secondhand. Guy told me it was Korean but I see now it's made in China? 

One thing it has on the back is Limited Edition, Custom shop.

Does this mean anything special? Pick ups? Assembled in US etc? Or just something they throw around.

Would appreciate any info anyone can give me

20190928_144015.jpg

20190928_144040.jpg

Screenshot 2019-09-25 20.24.52.png

Looks like you got a Chinese copy of a Korean copy of a US made guitar.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Those are usually pretty darn nice instruments. Play it loud and play it proud.

P.S. If it plays and sounds the way you want it to, it doesn't really matter where it was made.

PP SS I think "Limited Edition" has to do with only making so many of that model this time around. But I may be all wet.

19 minutes ago, bobouz said:

This model, to my recollection, did not have any USA parts or assembly.

Regardless, it's a nice Riviera copy, with the all important mini-humbuckers.  Many earlier Asian copies had full size humbuckers, which are a misnomer on a Riviera.

Thank you. Yes it certainly is a nice guitar. Sounds and feels amazing. Very light but well built. Many mistake heavy for good quality. I have no problem with Chinese guitars.

Normally a Fender man and have had everything over the years. Always favoured the older guitars. I think the wood drys out and breathes over time. They really need that age to become great. New USA Fenders no doubt well made but too heavy and soul less. Nothing like the older guitars. I just sold a Japanese Strat in favour of my Squire Classic vibe. What an unbelievable series, I have had several and they just come alive in your hands. Closest thing I have had to a vintage strat / tele new off the shelf.  Even the hardware seems good.

The RIviera is a really nice guitar. Very happy with it in every respect. Only thing I guess is will these Chinese guitars stand the test of time.