Gibson Brands Forums

What recourse?

Rambler

58 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Not an overspray--here's what he did.  He sanded the discolored (thumb size ) are to bare wood, then  resprayed with vinyl sealer and nitrocellulose finish.  That was authorized.  Because the colors still didnt match up, he wet sanded (scuffed) the whole top to a satin sheen, then wet sanded to a matte finish.  

2vnnTQLQCMrLabJ57aoClnuACtiijN_lw0zSR93cirMHpzn0yBycydZZXTAtISlOhAGauyrZ7-yYSmxWgmSaN8YNc3DI9GGrrdEl5T0N9cjjwXDm6EmtW4ZTMi67mHiO9It8edOo

Then you should be able to get the finished buffed up to gloss again, right? You might end up with a slightly thinner finish than you had to start with, but that might actually be insignificant, depending on how hard it was sanded to begin with. If it was my guitar, I would at least investigate this option...

Lars

Edited by Lars68

26 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I guess the question is whether there is enough finish left to re-buff back to gloss. It could be tricky.

Agree, that's the deciding factor. If there is, the guitar would still have the original finish, but a thinner version of it. Lots of people would actually pay a premium for that on a brand new guitar...

Lars

32 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Agree, that's the deciding factor. If there is, the guitar would still have the original finish, but a thinner version of it. Lots of people would actually pay a premium for that on a brand new guitar...

Lars

Yes, but not as a modification of the original finish. If it can be buffed out, you can say original finish except for touched up area, with top buffed after touch-up. That certainly is not as bad as a re-finish or overspray, and may not be much if any worse from a selling perspective than the original stained top.

And I thought I was mad at my contractor. Sheeesh!!!

Best luck getting this one sorted. To answer one of your earlier questions, there used to be small claims court in Keene - might have been a Cheshire County thing - back when I lived up there, but it's been a long, long time. I left there in 82.

I do hope something can be done to get it back into primo shape for you, though.

1 hour ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Best luck getting this one sorted. To answer one of your earlier questions, there used to be small claims court in Keene - might have been a Cheshire County thing - back when I lived up there, but it's been a long, long time. I left there in 82.

I have relatives in Keene, was up that way for a funeral service in May, believe me when I say, that place hasn't changed all that much, and probably never will. 

If it's the original finish, just taken down to satin, buffing it back to gloss should not be too much of a problem for someone who is skilled. Sending it back to Martin, to be buffed or re-finished, is an option, but it will be costly and could take 6 months. What other skilled luthier could you find to fix it in the Northeast? 

I think the better option is to tell your "repair" guy that he just bought the guitar.  What's it worth, $2400-2600? 

Total nightmare! I am sorry you are dealing with this. 

On 10/2/2019 at 1:44 PM, kidblast said:

I have relatives in Keene, was up that way for a funeral service in May, believe me when I say, that place hasn't changed all that much, and probably never will. 

It's amazing how small a town it seemed when we rode through it back in  '07 compared to what I thought of it when I was a lad. I think I saw a new brewery, and my grand-father's gas station was no longer. That was about it. 

10 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

It's amazing how small a town it seemed when we rode through it back in  '07 compared to what I thought of it when I was a lad. I think I saw a new brewery, and my grand-father's gas station was no longer. That was about it. 

I was in Keene as a kid quite a bit.  My mom's sisters and nieces lived there.  The center doesn't seem to have changed all that much.  Some of my uncles were on the crew that built the town hall.  As we were driving to the cemetery for my aunts interment, we went right by the road that my moms family lived on.  same building on the corner with the  same sign..  still there.   Used to be a corner store, long since closed but the building and sign, unchanged.    was driving up there with my wife, my sister, and brother in law.  My sis and  just looked at each other, both knowing exactly what we just drove past.  That was a shot of nostalgia. 

On 10/1/2019 at 4:16 AM, Rambler said:

Not an overspray--here's what he did.  He sanded the discolored (thumb size ) are to bare wood, then  resprayed with vinyl sealer and nitrocellulose finish.  That was authorized.  Because the colors still didnt match up, he wet sanded (scuffed) the whole top to a satin sheen, then wet sanded to a matte finish.  

2vnnTQLQCMrLabJ57aoClnuACtiijN_lw0zSR93cirMHpzn0yBycydZZXTAtISlOhAGauyrZ7-yYSmxWgmSaN8YNc3DI9GGrrdEl5T0N9cjjwXDm6EmtW4ZTMi67mHiO9It8edOo

Provided you have a signed record of what work was authorized (and therefore also what was not authorized) then it would seem fair for the repair person to purchase the guitar from you for the average value of what these guitars in the same condition as yours have been selling for minus the cost of the approved repair. This seems fair and is what I would propose if I were in your situation. The repair person could then choose to keep the guitar, sell it as, is or try to buff the top back to a gloss finish before selling it.

I'd like to see pictures. From the sound of it, the luthier tried his best to match the original finish colors making the refinished spot blend in with the rest. With a burst finish, it's of course almost impossible to match colors; it's already difficult to match solid colors. If the finish has been wet-sanded to a dull, satin look, it can be polished up again to a gloss even if it takes considerable effort and time (on the buffing wheel and by hand) to do so. That could be the way forward.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

How for an amateur.

What is his own take on this. He is obviously so far off that he may be burying himself in embarrassment the more you set the perspective for him.

But can I ask : Are you able to hear and if yes describe the sonic difference. 

Good luck with a baaad situation