Gibson Brands Forums

LES PAUL CUSTOM QUESTION!!!

STAR CHILD

Hey guy's

I have a question, I have a 68 custom Les Paul reissue I got for Christmas.

It has a cherry sunburst flame top, black pickup rings, black pick guard, black selector

switch ring, and black knobs!!! Basically black plastic, and I want to put

creme plastic on it, creme rings, pick guard, switch ring, pick guard, and

gold speed knobs. How do you all think this change would look? I kind of

like the creme vibe rather than the black plastic vibe?

Also, my pick guard wasn't attached when I bought my custom. I'm really

scared about drilling holes on my baby. Is there a safe way to do this?

Thanks so much!!!

ROOP66

Hey man, I think you should try those screwless pickguards... they look fine and you dont have to drill any holes in your guitar

Here's some info on them...

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8270

Here's the guy's webpage...

http://bobbyleesignatureseries.com/

Hope it was of help.

Oh, and about the creme... it would look like a standard but with double binding and headstock binding and custom inlays... cool!

Thanks Thunder God, your advice means a lot coming from someone

with your knowledge!!! I think I would rather go traditional with

the pick guard though? I'm trying to go for the ACE FREHLEY

custom look, but I know I need to get Di marzio Super Distortions

to do it right!

I figured as much (from your avatar!)

If you don't plan on taking it off later then you should be fine using the gibson pickguard, you just drill 2 little holes (one at the side, one near the neck joint) and install it... it's not a difficult thing to do but you gotta be very careful anyway.

Hey, got any pics of your guitar? As you might know by now, around here posting pics is a must!

Very sweet looking Custom, Roop66.

As TG says, Creme on a Custom would look a bit different. If possible try to borrow stuff like a creme pickguard and so-on from a friend before you commit as it will take a (smallish) bit of money and time, and in the end you may find it's not looking right for you. If you don't have any mates who could help you out I'd suggest you ask, politely, at your local music-store if they could accomodate your wishes. Failing all this use your imagination - some Ivory artists' Mounting Card cut to shape will be almost as good as a proper 'guard to get the general idea.

Normally I'd say guard on but with your wood I'd be tempted to leave it off. I know from what you say that you're after the Ace look but even so.....

I can understand your reluctance to drill your top but, after all, they're just two small holes which 95%+ of all other LP's have anyway. As a plus point it would mean you could swap depending on your mood on the day!

Again, as TG says, it's not tricky at-all. It is, in fact, very easy but it needs to be done with Great Care.

As far as drill-bit sizes go I'd suggest no larger than 1.5mm : the screws will only need to have a small hole to become properly aligned and will cut their own threads. Again; take care at this stage as mistakes will be hard to rectify.

Can we have some more snaps please?

Edit : Use proper 'wood screws' if none were supplied. These have an un-threaded section towards the head.

Where's the link to that webiste where you can create your own Les Paul?

Roop, I put the pickguard on my old Standard and just screwed them in by hand. I didn't need to drill any pilot holes.

It's nerve racking when you're doing it, though...putting holes in an expensive piece of wood.

Roop' date=' I put the pickguard on my old Standard and just screwed them in by hand. I didn't need to drill any pilot holes.

It's nerve racking when you're doing it, though...putting holes in an expensive piece of wood.[/quote']

SAdly that website is down now... I was thinking about it too, it would have been of help here... I thikn that custom will look great with creme plastic anyway, as long as it is standard creme from gibson USA, I've bought some and it is less orange/salmon than what comes with the guitar.

Roop' date=' I put the pickguard on my old Standard and just screwed them in by hand. I didn't need to drill any pilot holes.

It's nerve racking when you're doing it, though...putting holes in an expensive piece of wood.[/quote']

You screwed into maple by hand? Impressive

If you're paranoid about screwing holes into your LP, don't do it yourself. As pippy and TG have pointed out, it's not hard but needs to be done by precision. I'd recommend taking it to your local Gibson dealer if you don't have the guts. Heck, they might even do it for free.

Good luck and post pics once you're done!

You mean Tim only screws by hand? yahoo_rotfl.gif

I gotta admit... I didnt use a drill to install my pickguard... but I did it gently:-"

You're both lucky you didn't snap the heads off, no matter how much experience you have (make up your own jokes). Putting screws into hardwood without predrilling risks several catastrophies: stripping the head with the screwdriver, snapping the head of the screw off leaving the rest stuck in the guitar, having the screw wander into a slightly different position than where you wanted it, winding up with a crooked screw (the screw might wander because the wood is not a uniform density, particularly with figured wood), or chewing up the wood so the screw is loose. Use a drill bit that's the size of the shank of the screw, and if you're not comfortable determining the right size drill, let someone else do it. Or practice on an Epiphone first...

Archived