Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson G-45 Studio, J-45 studio - body depths?

navigate40

Hello

Greetings, my first post here. I have a few acoustics, but, now focused on getting a Gibson slope shouldered dread. Have played a few. Like the J-15, but thinking of one of the newer models.

The G45 Studio and J45 Studio models have caught my attention. I am not sure what Gibson means by slimmer body. Does anyone have the exact dimensions of the body depths of these models?

They almost seem deeper in the mid section, than at the top or bottom. Hard to tell. Have contacted Gibson CS, but have not heard back.

Thank you

John 

Got to play one just now, really like it. Took a 4 inch stick to get a rough estimate.

Body depth at the top seemed about 3 3/4". Mid depth looked 4 1/8th. Bottom was 4". Nice profile. Very good sound. the slightly slimmer profile did not seem to give anything up. Had that Gibson ring to it. 

Thanks

Edited by navigate40

Thank you!

Appreciate the information, good to know that my measurements were pretty close. The profile is very compelling. Should make for comfortable playing and I am intrigued by the deeper mid section. Perhaps that is how these can compare to the deeper J-15. 

I have pretty much decided on the G-45 Studio. I actually like the satin finish and think the utile neck wood is perfectly fine. For the $500 difference in price, I can replace the Fishman electronics, if I want to . 

I think the Fishman sonicore electronics are the only downside to this guitar. But, could easily replace that with an LR Baggs element VTC ($159) or some other internal preamp. Use an external preamp, such as the inexpensive LR Baggs GigPro (which I have). Some other high end external preamp. Or, just mic it.  

Have wanted to own a Gibson acoustic for a long time. I think the G-45 is it. 

I think this is it. Thanks!

• Like 1

Another question: Do the G45 standard and G45 studio have the same body profiles and depths??

[I think they are the same]

I might see if I can play a G45 and J15 side by side again and see how they compare. 

Thanks

Edited by navigate40

• 5 months later...

Hi. I was just reading this thread and figured I would try to help someone out.  I had a g45 and returned it. I own a j15 and love it .  The g45 is definitely thinner bodied and does not have near the sound quality or richness and low end of the j15.  Also the Rosette is a decal on the g 45 ! ( no one seems to mention this ) and the construction material inside is not on par at all with the j15 either . ( looked like cardboard reinforced ) I'm not bashing the g45 .  I like the satin finish a lot .  It's just not in the same league as the j15.  Therefore,  it explains why it is a lot less expensive .  Just putting my experiences with the two guitars out there.  Thanks 

I played several J-15's and J-45 studio's side by side. Like the J-15 a lot, but they were pretty inconsistent, from one to another. Only found one that I liked the tone of. Most were too brash for me. 

I ended up getting a Gibson J-45 studio and love it. Love the dimensions, tone, playability. I think the build quality and bracing are a step up from the G-45. I like the gloss nitro finish more than the finish on the G-45 and the J-45 has superior electronics (LR Baggs vs Fishman sonitone). Sounds great. Of course, string choice makes a difference. Have rosewood pins and am using Martin monel strings on it right now. 

Thanks to all. 

wow. i wish i saw this thread. i spent several hours going back and forth between a G45 Standard and a J45 Studio a month back. i wont go into detail but i bought the J45 Studio. ive gigged it twice. i too prefer the baggs Element VTC.

i love the guitar and find myself playing it more than my J45 TV. i love the depth. i love the walnut.

enjoy yours!