Gibson Brands Forums

American Workhorse

olie

Just saw a trailer for a documentary "American Workhorse" which was supposed to be released last or this year and can't find any more info on it.

Does anyone here have more insight into whether it has been released or when it may happen?

Overall a but syrupy sounding.   But  so who bestowed the "Workhorse" nickname on the J45?   I have not seen it in any 1960s or 1970s  catalogs or advertising   Plenty of other hype regarding  the "acclaimed" adjustable bridge and new "symmetrical" (double X)   bracing.  Even a bit of braggadocio  about how many countries provided  the woods used to put Gibson acoustics together.     But nary a reference I have seen to the J45 as an American  Workhorse.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Overall a but syrupy sounding.   But  so who bestowed the "Workhorse" nickname on the J45?   I have not seen it in any 1960s or 1970s  catalogs or advertising   Plenty of other hype regarding  the "acclaimed" adjustable bridge and new "symmetrical" (double X)   bracing.  Even a bit of braggadocio  about how many countries provided  the woods used to put Gibson acoustics together.     But nary a reference I have seen to the J45 as an American  Workhorse.

Good question. Maybe because every recording studio in Nashville had a beat-up one sitting around as an "emergency" guitar  or one used to set levels. Just guessing, of course.

They were, after all, cheap as chips and common as dirt back in the day, and reasonably sturdy. A musician working for next to nothing could still afford one.

My original 1950 J-45, which was just over 15 years old when I bought it for $50 in 1966, looked about as used up as a hooker on Saturday morning after "free night" at the brothel. I suspect someone flogged that one daily until they just about wore the poor thing out. She was loose in the braces, worn at the soundhole, rutted in the fretboard, and her frets were chewed down to nothing. The jack hole in her side didn't help much, either.

But she was beautiful to me.

Workhorse, indeed!

On 10/5/2019 at 2:02 PM, j45nick said:

My original 1950 J-45, which was just over 15 years old when I bought it for $50 in 1966, looked about as used up as a hooker on Saturday morning after "free night" at the brothel.

Or as we used to say  looked it had been rode hard and put away wet.  

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Or as we used to say  looked it had been rode hard and put away wet.  

Indeed.

That's a more polite, if less colorful, way to phrase it.

My turn of phrase was actually toned down compared to original version from an Australian friend. They know how to offend almost everyone in a single sentence.

My apologies for being so crude.

Edited by j45nick
additional clarification

• 2 weeks later...

I never encountered the "workhorse" designation for J-45s until c.2007, when I saw it in Gibson promotional material online.  Certainly never heard it around music circles in Macon.  Maybe a Nashville thing, though I really suspect Gibson's marketing people made it up out of whole cloth.  Perhaps I am just cynical.

I couldn't tell You exactly where. Kind of all over I guess. But, I've seen the J-45 called a "workhorse" guitar in hundreds  of articles and internet discussions. I don't have a J-45 and never have, so I have no skin in the game.  A lot of folks call it a "workhorse", although it has never pulled a plow or  wagon into town.

I have never heard it called that.  There is a definite evolution in sound from 1942 on -- for me my newest (of 4) is a 53, the last year to make the cut.  It is sort of like the  Sherman tank -- functional  and not too special, but there were so many of them.  And I guess that is the point perhaps.

Edited by tpbiii

On 10/21/2019 at 5:52 AM, Murph said:

They are too expensive now to be the workhouse.

The workhorse is now the J-15.

I’ve got a 2018 J-15 it’s a very nice guitar. I’ve been playing it exclusively for the past couple of weeks and could kick myself for letting sit upstairs for so long time without playing it. 

8 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

I’ve got a 2018 J-15 it’s a very nice guitar. I’ve been playing it exclusively for the past couple of weeks and could kick myself for letting sit upstairs for so long time without playing it. 

I have a J-45 and a J-15. The J-15 gets the dirty work. Questionable weather/locations. 

It's become the workhorse.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I have a J-45 and a J-15. The J-15 gets the dirty work. Questionable weather/locations. 

It's become the workhorse.

My J-15 is a nice guitar,  I think it is a very nice looking guitar with  great tone, I wouldn't want to expose it to harsh conditions, or any of my guitars.  I hate it when I get a ding on one. The road worn look never appealed to me.